Dragon Ball (All Series)

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 14, 2011, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

D....does Toei watch TFS's DBZA? Because those Yamucha jokes....

I loved last week's Dr. Slump episode, and two weeks in a row we've gotten great comedy episodes. It's the one thing that Super does consistently well.

Spark Of Spirit

They seemed to realize that filler episodes like the car one from DBZ are where you can get a lot of comedic mileage and that people want to see more of. These are the kinds of filler episodes I can get behind.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

They've still the top 10 left, but man, DBcember has been disappointing this year. I guess most of the villains in Dragon Ball really do kinda suck if TFS' list is any indication. I'm hoping the Top 10 at least is full of good picks, but I'm kinda hoping they do something that allows them to speak more positively about the franchise next DBcember. This is the second year in the row where most of the list outside the top 10 is full of meh and them shitting on the entries, which is kinda sad since this is supposed to be a celebration of the franchise and whatnot.

I also strongly disagree with their criticisms of Zamasu in their Super villains overview. Just because the Knight Templar character archetype has been "done better" that doesn't make Zamasu any less effective as a villain: the point is that he is shallow, that he has a very black and white view of the world and is so conceited and arrogant that he thinks it's up to him to right wrongs and punish humans and gods alike. He's one-dimensional, but in the same respect Freeza is interesting despite being just a power-hungry tyrant, his personality and just how twisted he is sells him as an antagonist. And something being "done better" elsewhere is something that can be said of a lot of things in Dragon Ball, honestly. Doesn't mean they aren't still good.

LumRanmaYasha

In more positive news, the "Universe Survival" arc is set to debut in February. Here's the teaser image:

Super has been mostly a Goku and Vegeta show, so I'm really excited to see that Piccolo, Tenshinhan, Roshi, Gohan, Buu, Krillin, 18 AND 17 (!) are going to have a role in this upcoming arc, especially if it's going to be the multiverse tournament. I'm really hoping they get to meaningfully contribute and get to do stuff. Especially Buu and Piccolo, who really got the shaft in the Universe 6 tournament, not to mention Gohan who's been getting the shaft all of Super, and Tenshinhan who's been getting the shaft since the original Dragon Ball. And 17 returning was really unexpected and is pretty awesome. I'm honestly more excited to see him interact with Krillin and 18 again than actually seeing him fight, though if they're bothering to bring him back I'm hoping he'll get to win at least one.

Spark Of Spirit

That's a good combination of characters. I'm hoping we see more from all of them and that they get chances to shine.

But I am surprised Master Roshi is going over Yamcha or Chiaotzu. I wonder what tricks he might have up his sleeve?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

They chose Roshi over Yamcha and Chiaotzu in Resurrection 'F' too, and he really kicked some ass against Freeza's soldiers, so the old man's definitely still got it. I'm hoping he gets to show off in the new arc like he was able to do in that film.

gunswordfist

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on December 15, 2016, 09:28:36 AM
They've still the top 10 left, but man, DBcember has been disappointing this year. I guess most of the villains in Dragon Ball really do kinda suck if TFS' list is any indication. I'm hoping the Top 10 at least is full of good picks, but I'm kinda hoping they do something that allows them to speak more positively about the franchise next DBcember. This is the second year in the row where most of the list outside the top 10 is full of meh and them shitting on the entries, which is kinda sad since this is supposed to be a celebration of the franchise and whatnot.

I also strongly disagree with their criticisms of Zamasu in their Super villains overview. Just because the Knight Templar character archetype has been "done better" that doesn't make Zamasu any less effective as a villain: the point is that he is shallow, that he has a very black and white view of the world and is so conceited and arrogant that he thinks it's up to him to right wrongs and punish humans and gods alike. He's one-dimensional, but in the same respect Freeza is interesting despite being just a power-hungry tyrant, his personality and just how twisted he is sells him as an antagonist. And something being "done better" elsewhere is something that can be said of a lot of things in Dragon Ball, honestly. Doesn't mean they aren't still good.
Thank you. This is exactly how I feel about Zamasu. Zamasu is not that deep, he only seems like he is supposed to be if you aren't paying attention but his actions still make him interesting. You can't criticise him for not being Sensui in a series where Namek Vegeta is probably the most multi-dimensional villain. Sure, he had failed potential for not giving any real reasons or backstory as to why he hates humans but that should not be held against him at all. I personally consider Zamasu to be like an above average JRPG villain, above average since he does go into his motives a bit more than the average RPG villain and his personality is better than a lot of them but still one-dimensional.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

I think I heard the tournament is next then Universe Survival but don't quote me - I just skimmed through tweets. I do hope that's the case because I think they said the tournament would be 7-8 episodes, like I want it to be.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 30, 2016, 03:31:06 PM
The Super cast list:

GOKU - Sean Schemmel
VEGETA - Christopher R. Sabat
BEERUS - Jason Douglas
WHIS - Ian Sinclair
KRILLIN - Sonny Strait
GOHAN - Kyle Hebert
BULMA - Monica Rial
PICCOLO - Christopher R. Sabat
TRUNKS - Alexis Tipton
NARRATOR - Doc Morgan
GOTEN - Kara Edwards
CHI-CHI - Cynthia Cranz
A18 - Meredith McCoy
MR. SATAN - Chris Rager
BUU - Josh Martin
KING KAI - Sean Schemmel
SHENRON    - Christopher R. Sabat
VIDEL - Kara Edwards
YAMCHA - Christopher R. Sabat
TIEN - John Burgmeier
SHOU - Chris Cason
ROSHI - Mike McFarland
PUAR - Brina Palencia
PILAF - Chuck Huber
OX-KING - Kyle Hebert
OOLONG - Brad Jackson
MARRON - Tia Ballard
KIBITO KAI - Kent Williams
ELDER KAI - Kent Williams
DENDE - Justin Cook
CHIAOTZU - Brina Palencia
MAI - Colleen Clinkenbeard

Not much of a surprise here.
Ian Sinclair's Whis? I didn't know Sabat was Shenron and Yamcha and I forgot he was Piccolo.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, this being he third time that Goku has died and all, does he get that free sunday?

I have to say, I really like how unique Hit's powers and abilities are for a Dragon Ball character.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And....that's the list.

Really, even when they got to the good villains, there were no surprises here. I completely agree with Freeza being the best (or worst?) of them, but the top 7 in general were a large case of "Shit Sherlock, first name: No" IMO.

Really disappointing DB-Cember, IMO. But, I will say that even though it was clearly a joke, I would totally watch a list of the top 24 reasons why Monster Carrot is the best DB villain. :D

I'm supposing that next year will probably be the top 24 heroes or general characters from the franchise, and while that could certainly work better than the villains list this year, I do really want to see their take on the top 24 fights from the franchise.

Daxdiv

Monster Carrot was robbed I tells ya! Robbed! ROBBED!

But nah, figured Freeza would be the safest bet for #1 mostly because he has committed mass genocide and slavery across the known & unknown galaxies.

LumRanmaYasha

I was pleasantly surprised that King Piccolo ranked in the top 3 since I wasn't expecting them to rank him higher than Cell and Beerus. But yeah, we all knew Freeza was going to be #1 and with good reason. Though I feel that Master Shen and Tullece should've been on the list instead of the likes of Hiredegarn and Janemba. Either way, I was satisfied with the top 12, but I'm hoping next year's list will be more interesting and allow them to spend less time complaining and more time talking about what they love about DB.

gunswordfist

The latest episode of Naruto was pretty good!

No seriously, I liked the episode even though it was glorified filler. But that's 5 great [for filler] Dragonball Super episodes so far. If they give us more of this and less of Vegeta sucking on a pacifier then I am game. Especially if they are really gearing up for a bump in animation quality for Universe Survival.

Also, Hit continues to be more likable even tohugh I think hey softened him up a little bit too much this early. And man, the fans figured out almost everything in this episode. From the energy blast reviving Goku to Whis getting Vados to hire Hit to train Goku. I haven't seen anyone say that Goku was the real client though. Nice little twist.

As for next week, Saiyaman bores the crap out of me but more Gohan is more Gohan and I can't pretend like I am not addicted to this show so I'll watch.

gunswordfist

Dragon Ball Super's Toonami premiere is tonight!!!!