Is it time for Adult Swim to change?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 19, 2011, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Stole the topic idea from Toonzone

I remember a month or two ago flipping on to AS for some reason or another and seeing yet the same promos and same style of humor they've been milking for almost a decade. Does anyone here even still watch the block beyond reruns on a regular basis?

Their originals are always the same, there ads haven't changed since day one, and their anime pick ups get more dumbed down every year. Do you guys feel that it's time for Adult Swim to do something about it, or should they sink even further into irrelevance?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

As long as there's a way for KOTH to easily be seen again, I don't really care what happens to [as].

When they drop it, then I hope they find something better than repeats of older, better shows, shit originals, and anime they don't care about.

All I really have to say at this point.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Other than reruns of better shows, AS really isn't worth much to me anymore. Which is a real shame considering the quality of their early days.

I'm still wondering what happened between them and Adam Reed which lead to Frisky Dingo biting the dust early and FX getting Archer. And the less said about Metalocalypse the better. I just cannot get into that, and can't believe it' from one of the Home Movies creators.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I like Metaocalypse, but admittingly, I don't catch up with it.

I think you need to really be into metal to get the most enjoyment out of it, but I'll admit that the show definitely doesn't compare to Home Movies.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

I don't really like Metalocalypse OR Home Movies. :butbut:

Spark Of Spirit

Avaitor

To be honest, I'm kind of worn out with Home Movies right now. There's only 52 episodes, and I've seen them all so many times. I don't mind if they take a break from it for now.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Nothing wrong with that. It's why I haven't watched either South Park or Family Guy in over a year or two now.

Dr. Insomniac

And no offense to either of you guys, but I'm pretty much the same when it comes to KotH.

Avaitor

Also fair.  I think since it has a lot of episodes, it'd be easier for the show to hold up better in repeats, but [as] has already ran through the show a few times now, so I can see that happening.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

That's also why I stopped watching Simpsons reruns a long time ago. I don't watch AS reruns of KOTH for fear of the same issue.

I'd rather be burned out on something on my own terms, not because of poor programming choices.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

It's weird. It's like the more timeslots they acquire, the less fucks they give. Who honestly believes they ever planned on doing anything worthwhile with 9pm?

Not to mention they're the first destination for animation targeted at older audiences, and all they ever produce now is low budget ugly shorts that repeat the same jokes, or imported live action shows that no one cares about. Since they do well enough with Fox reruns, and nobody else really makes adult animation, they're content with just letting the block stagnate like this.

It's frustrating and annoying. The only reason I even tune in nowadays is to have background noise at night.

gunswordfist

Regression. They need to go back to what they used to do in my opinion. I actually still like the cards. I just want more anime and less American Dad.

I infact do only watch reruns though. Well that and Brotherhood.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Lack of variety with the classics is what's really killing this block for me. It took them a whole damn to finally put Harvey Birdman back on (supposed to start again next week)... and yet, it comes at the expense of Space Ghost.  :whuh:

I will say one thing about Adult Swim, though; it's nice for King of the Hill to have a "home" on cable TV, and I'm glad they're giving it one. I'm not sure why people are so inclined to bitch about this. KOTH is a fine series, and it deserves to be on TV (especially given that everything from Season 7 onwards is MIA on DVD). If we're gonna whine about anything, make it Squidbillies or some awful shit like that. As far as I know, that show has never been taken off the schedule for any real length of time, and it needs to be sent into retirement.

Commode

Quote from: Kiddington on March 25, 2011, 12:21:53 AM
I will say one thing about Adult Swim, though; it's nice for King of the Hill to have a "home" on cable TV, and I'm glad they're giving it one.
I'm still bitching that The Simpsons hasn't found a cable home yet.  Get it on Adult Swim, or Comedy Central, or FX(probably the most likely choice), I don't fucking care, just get it to come to cable somewhere.  Especially since in most cases the classic seasons are rarely seen in syndication these days; I think the oldest Simpsons episode I've seen here in Virginia so far was "New Kids on the Blecch" from season 12.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.