CN Real is dead

Started by Sketch, November 10, 2011, 11:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sketch

Seems the long standing Wednesday live-action block is dead. They were going to just keep airing Hole in the Wall but even that got pulled with episodes remaining. They might still air at some point but for the time being the only live-action airing on CN is movies.

Looks like the ratings finally sunk low enough to cancel those cheaply made shows or at least pull them off the line-up for now.

Level Up is just around the corner but that likely wont last.

Will they figure out live-action isn't what their target audience wants? Probably not. But things are looking up with cartoons succeeding and live-action flopping. Maybe that's enough for them to halt production on the other reality and game shows they had in development.

Daxdiv

Well, it was on life support when it felt like I could just count the number of Live Action shows on one hand. Really, other than having a live action movie every week or so, I've only counted Hole in the Wall, Dude What Would Happen?, and Destroy Build Destory. Even then it felt like they were exiled to air on Wednesday only since I rarely caught repeats of these shows.

Spark Of Spirit

Now maybe they can put some money into their animated shows instead.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

^If the previews for DC Nation are any indication, that's exactly what they may be doing.

As for the live-action in general, it's definitely on it's last legs. I saw a preview for that Level Up movie, and it didn't look too bad. Plus, the monsters are CGI, so at least it's technically a live-action/animated hybrid.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Well that's nice.

It's too bad they're still a third wheel overall and most of their shows don't even last beyond a season and a half now.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on November 12, 2011, 02:11:21 AM
Well that's nice.

It's too bad they're still a third wheel overall and most of their shows don't even last beyond a season and a half now.

Yep, just like that nerd in High School who wished he could do more, he has stay in his little niche or otherwise they will lose sight on what their true self is like.

Sketch

They've done a lot of self-deprecating moves since 2005 and I'd be lying if I said I thought they are embracing their identity entirely yet. More so it seems like they've just caved in to the fact that cartoons will always be their bread and butter no matter how hard they push live-action.

I'm still not the kind of person who would wish someone to lose their job but it's clear that under the current management Cartoon Network will never beat Nick or Disney. Maybe they never can again even with better management but since they weren't number 3 for the entirety of their lifespan then I'm sure CN could crawl back up some day but not with their current mentality.

They have to try their best to make good cartoons and be an alternative to Nick and Disney rather than a shoddy attempt to emulate them.

Rynnec

I agree, CN need's to realize that they what made them so noteworthy in the first place is because they were an alternative to Nick and Disney's output, a breath of fresh air.

Mr. Big

Honestly I didn't even realize CN Real was still alive.

Ah well. Good riddance, regardless.

Kiddington

Quote from: Mr. Big on November 13, 2011, 08:05:15 PM
Honestly I didn't even realize CN Real was still alive.

Ah well. Good riddance, regardless.

They weren't using that same brand name, per say, but a few charred remains from the original block did manage to stick around for a few years after the fact (the Andrew WK show was one of the very first ones to debut back in 2009, I believe). But, I digress.

...anyway, I'd be more excited, IF not for the fact that they already have at least one other new live-action project in the pipeline. It seems to be a continuous cycle with this network, and one that I don't think the current brain trust will ever truly give up on.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Peanutbutter on November 11, 2011, 10:23:39 PM
^If the previews for DC Nation are any indication, that's exactly what they may be doing.

As for the live-action in general, it's definitely on it's last legs. I saw a preview for that Level Up movie, and it didn't look too bad. Plus, the monsters are CGI, so at least it's technically a live-action/animated hybrid.
I just looked up DC Nation...interesting...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Peanutbutter

They're not calling it that....but yeah. Doing live-action to get "girl viewers" is condescending. MLP: FiM was just as popular with its target demo as well as the bronies. Granted, that was The Hub/Discovery Family but still. Plus they did just fine when they had PPGs.

Just put on cartoons with female leads that aren't named Gumball or Teen Titans Go. Boom, done! But nope, the new guy is a transplant from AT&T so he doesn't get how kids programming works at all. All this will do will sent Cartoon Network's ratings even more into the ground than they have been in recent years.  :whuh:

Avaitor

I'm in favor of Cartoonito, but I don't see this going well at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

I mean in fairness, they DO still have a decent variety of animated shows on the way so it's not going to be all or possible even mostly live-action, but I really hope after the live-action stuff inevitably bombs (because we know it will) they'll give the slots to other new cartoons or maybe some acquisitions. Just have to wait and see.

A lot of children's media and animation are still in a transition period thanks to Covid, the entire landscape is going to be mindblowingly different in just another few years I believe.