Castlevania: A Thread for the Dead

Started by Spark Of Spirit, October 24, 2014, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

And everything has been hit as the campaign comes to a close. They made 5 million more than their target.

Now we wait for the game to be made.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

gunswordfist

[Joseph]Horry Shit![/Joestar] They made it to the Boss Revenge mode? It sounds so cool. I read about Roguelike yesterday and that sounds even better to me. They covered pretty much every mode a Metroidvania can have.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The Roguelike Dungeon is its own separate mode.

So essentially this is four games. The metroidvania, the classic Castlevania, the prequel game, and the Roguelike mode. Plus it is confirmed to be his biggest castle so far.

The weird part is that I think the fans gave him a bigger budget than Konami ever did. Just look at all that content.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I know that it's a separate mode. :srs: I expect it to make me give this game so many more hours. :worship:

That is a lot of content. :huh:

Foggle

There's no way they could make such a big game for only 5.5 million, but that huge amount of cash probably convinced Iga's mysterious publisher to provide tons of extra funding. This might really be the highest budget Igavania ever!

Spark Of Spirit

Most of Iga's previous games had to reuse assets and sprites like crazy and were only green-lit for the cheapest systems (GBA and DS) on top of it. Whatever budget he might have now in addition to what the fans gave him, it must be quite a bit to allow him to go all out.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 12, 2015, 11:32:54 PM
There's no way they could make such a big game for only 5.5 million, but that huge amount of cash probably convinced Iga's mysterious publisher to provide tons of extra funding. This might really be the highest budget Igavania ever!
I'm sure that was their plan. :)

gunswordfist

I was just thinking about me playing Castlevania SOTN again for the first time in forever today (well technically yesterday) and how I thought it could be better than any game I've ever played. Wonder if I could like Bloodstained that much. :o

Rynnec

Well well well

QuoteWithout any fanfare, Netflix has announced a Castlevania series. Actually, "announced" is a strong word; sitting in the middle of a press release listing the streaming content company's planned original programming for 2017 was a surprising reveal: "Castlevania Season 1, Part 1 Coming to Netflix in 2017."

The listing of the show was spotted by io9, and it is likely the previously rumored animated series by Adi Shankhar. Shankhar is teaming up with Frederator (of "Adventure Time" and "Bravest Warriors" fame) to make what he called a "super violent" series.

Shankhar has been hinting at this series for some time now, though nothing has been officially confirmed. Putting two and two together, one can surmise that the series has finally found a home with Netflix, a company that has been known to scoop up all manner of intellectual property. [EDITOR: Netflix and Shankar have now both confirmed the theory, along with releasing the series' official description.]

RELATED: Castlevania: Warren Ellis' R-Rated Scripts Have Game of Thrones Vibe

No stranger to super violence, Shankhar was one of the minds behind "Dredd," the critically acclaimed Judge Dredd movie starring Karl Urban, which only made a small splash in the box office, but has since been elevated to cult status. Shankhar was also behind "Power/Rangers" the ludicrously over-the-top gritty (and unauthorized) sequel to "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers," which starred none other than James Van Der Beek and Katee Sackhoff. That short film was full of cartoonish violence, and oozed with style. If this is indeed the same "Castlevania" series, the people involved all but guarantee a unique brand of insanity.

"Castlevania" is most famous as a video game franchise. The series follows various members of the Belmont family, as they partake in the family tradition of killing vampires, specifically the evil Lord Alucard. For those unfamiliar with the series, it's up to you to look into what the antagonist's name spells when you write it backwards.

"Super-violent" and Warren Ellis being involved has me hopeful. "Game of Thrones vibe" does not. Either way I hope the artstyle is faithful Ayumi Kojima's designs since she's the definitive Castlevania artist.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well....depends on what seasons of Game of Thrones they are apparently "vibing." Either way, it just seems like a ploy for attention. I doubt that they actually mean that.

I don't really have much faith in a video game adapted product, but here's hoping it's not a pile of shit.

Spark Of Spirit

This type of series would go better with an 80s fantasy horror vibe. Something like Vampire Hunter D.

But this is a video game adaption. Trash is expected until proved otherwise.

gunswordfist

:o Please be great! Heard about Ellis working on this years ago.

Daikun