What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painted Outlaw

Quote from: Avaitor on January 06, 2016, 09:44:03 AM
You might like 08th MS Team, GSF. It's a bit more action-based than a lot of other Gundam series.

0080 is usually the go-to for non-mehca fans, but I'll throw that in for you, as well.

While I liked both of these, I'd greatly second 08th MS Team; more people need to watch that.  :thumbup:

That said, I finished Tatami Galaxy the other day and it turned out I was concerned over nothing, haha; everything concluded pretty well so I was fairly content with how it turned out. However, I then checked out the first 3 episodes of Macross Frontier and, god, what an empty show. Any depth the characters had was just them acting out overly-done mecha cliches, pass!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just finished Yowamushi Pedal/Grande Road. The Inter-High Day 3 match took up nearly the whole season, but it's easily among the most exciting and fun matches that I've ever seen in a Shonen Sports series. The first half is genuinely entertaining in its chaotic nature in how it differs from the previous races since it's a final and some team members inevitably have to be left behind. Additionally, the concept of forming temporary alliances with other teams during parts of the race is one of the most unique things that I've seen in a competition-based series. It leads to some really fun combos of characters between different teams forming temporary alternate mini-teams. The second half is really intense and heartfelt, and has an increasing sense of desperation as it reaches its climax, much like the best matches in other sports manga/anime.

I suppose now I'll have to check if the manga is available in English, or if not then I'll just have to wait for a third season to come out.

Spark Of Spirit

They just made an original movie, apparently. But the show has been a surprise hit to such an absurd degree that there will probably be a third season by Fall.

Glad to know it gets better, and I really enjoy it right now. The series took me by surprise with how enjoyable it is to watch. Also the VA for Onoda will be voicing Midoriya in MHA so it was a nice way to see how he'd do in the role, and from this it's easy to tell he could do it without any problem.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, both characters are very similar:

-Both start out as small and weak
-Both are very timid initially but gain confidence over time
-Both have rapid growth after they disover/gain access to their talents

So, yeah, it's pretty obvious type-casting based on that.

I checked it out and the manga is still going with 42 volumes out so far. It doesn't look like it's legally available in English yet, though, and scans only go a few chapters past where the anime ends. So, it looks like I'll be waiting for season three after all.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 07, 2016, 05:56:25 PMSo, it looks like I'll be waiting for season three after all.
Season three has been greenlit.

Also, the manga has sold over 15 million copies which means the anime will probably be going for a while.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sounds like I have another show to look forward to this year. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I finally got around to watching the second Tiger & Bunny movie the other day. It was an entertaining filler movie, but I'm rather disappointed that it focused on a forgettable group of new villains rather than resolving the Lunatic story-line which was never concluded in the TV series. I just kind of feel like it was a wasted opportunity.

That said, the movie on its own wasn't bad. Nothing too special, but certainly entertaining enough to be worth checking out if you're a fan of the show.

Spark Of Spirit

I still haven't gotten around to the movies yet. I just haven't felt the need to rush to see them. I'm far more interested in a second season that deals with Lunatic and Ouroboros.

Sunrise always takes their time with this stuff, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A second season (or third if you count the original two cours as separate seasons) would be ideal, but it has been four years since the TV series originally ended, so I'm not sure if Sunrise is interested enough in doing a new season since we've already had a large gap of time since the series stopped airing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 08, 2016, 12:33:57 PMI still haven't gotten around to the movies yet.

In case you ever do decide to check them out, you can skip the first film because the majority of it is a recap of the first few episodes of the show, and the last act, while being comprised entirely of new marerial, is pretty uninspired and forgettable. It's not really worth the time that it takes to through it all.

The second movie at least takes place after the end of the series.

VLordGTZ

I think that a second season of T&B may still happen since the series and merchandise are still very popular in Japan.  I could see Sunrise producing a new season around the time that the live action film comes out (similar to what Madhouse did with Parasyte).

Spark Of Spirit

I know fans have been waiting for one for a long time and there's been a ton of merchandise over the years.

All they would have to do is structure it a bit like season 1, with the first 13 episodes focused on one particular area (like Lunatic) and the last 12 wrapping everything up and dealing with the obvious Ouroboros problem. A single 25 episode season would be more than enough, I think.

Pharass

So, I've been watching One-Punch Man, 2015's breakout hit (actually I began watching it last year, but other things got in the way and I sort of forgot about it). I'm currently six episodes in and to be honest, I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should continue watching it. Its not a bad show by any means, but for some reason it doesn't really click with me.

I will say that the animation is great though, which admittedly counts for a lot.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

VLordGTZ

I was in a Gundam mood today, so I decided to watch the first OVA of Gundam: The Origin.  Overall, Origin was pretty good and it had some great moments of Ral and Hamon.  My only real complaint about it was that child Sayla was annoying as hell.  Also Char didn't have many lines, but it doesn't seem like this will be an issue in the second OVA and onwards.  I also watched the first episode of Gundam Thunderbolt.  It had great animation and music (jazz music in gundam!!!).  Since it was only 18 minutes, I'm not sure how I feel about the story yet, but I'm definitely interested in watching the second episode when it comes out.

Avaitor

I'm so behind on Gundam, tbh. I've only seen the first 3 OVAs of Unicorn, for one thing, and I stopped my UC watch at Char's Counterattack.

One of these days, I'll have to restart Unicorn and watch F91 and Turn A, as well as start The Origin.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/