Final Fantasy

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 02, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Listening to the battle themes now. I've only gotten to play FF VIII-X. VIII is my favorite. My favorite game with so much wrong with it but I loved the adventure. As for what went wrong with the series? I think Square didn't take the time to translate all the greatness of the old games into the new ones A.K.A not putting a fucking world map in the game. X really is one of the most overrated games ever. I shouldn't have made my brother get that as his first PS2 game (I got Devil May Cry har har, that's what he gets for making us get a GBA that he fucking lost instead of a Dreamcast) Oh and we actually got FF8 because they didn't have FF7 at the store of however was getting it for us. I got interested in the series after a friend let me hold disc 1. It was scratched up so we couldn't get into the village where Vivi found out the truth about himself.

Which reminds me, my brothers and me had a messed up PS1 that couldn't save so we had to try and go through FF 8 and 9 without dying. Um yeah, we didn't make it. My oldest little brother and me went restarted FFVIII possibly hundreds of times. That cutscene at the beginning really helped us want to do it all over so many times. Anyway, when we got our PS2, we were finally able to save and beat FF VIII and IX. Good times.

Oh and I finished listening to all the battle themes. I think IX pretty much has the worst out of the bunch.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

That's what happens when you lose all your talent and are left with nothing but hacks to make your games.

All you have to do is compare the PS1 Brave Fencer Musashi with the PS2 sequel Samurai Legend Musashi. The former is funny, action packed, feels like an epic adventure, and has a lot to do. The latter is poorly written (with awful voicework), monotonous, is basically a straight line in level design, and has almost nothing to do outside of tedious gimmicks that add nothing.

The only difference this gen is that because the impressive graphics of FF games are standard, people are realizing it.

Final Fantasy X is just as shit as XIII is, and for all of the exact same reasons.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Or compare Parasite Eve 1 & 2 to The 3rd Birthday. The former are cool action-RPG/survival horror hybrids with an interesting plot while the latter is Gears of War without the cover system and with a woman who gets her clothes torn to shreds whenever she takes damage (I'm serious) instead of big, burly men. Not to mention that the story and dialogue are basically just masturbatory fanfic material (and the kind you might find on Gaia Online, at that).

Spark Of Spirit

All the talent moved on to other places. Monolith, Mistwalker, Atlus, Level 5, and I think even Intelligent Systems and Brownie Brown... All of which are doing far better things than Square is these days.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Wait, ex-Squeenix employees are working at Monolith? What!?

Spark Of Spirit

The Xenogears team, yeah.

They split off, made Xenosaga for Namco, got bought by Nintendo, and recently made Xenoblade. (Which is apparently awesome)

Square made a lot of boneheaded decisions when the PS1 died.

Foggle

Oh, Monolith Soft, not Monolith Productions. For a second there, I thought some Japanese RPG developers joined an American FPS company. :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on January 29, 2011, 12:11:18 AM
Oh, Monolith Soft, not Monolith Productions. For a second there, I thought some Japanese RPG developers joined an American FPS company. :lol:
lol, oh yeah. For a second I forgot that there were two Monoliths.  :sweat:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on January 29, 2011, 12:11:18 AM
:lol: That would rock.

Foggle

Something I'm curious about...

What the fuck is the meaning of the title Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy? What happened to the other 10? What the hell does Duodecim mean? Where the shit did they get the name Dissidia from in the first place? Why is there a 0 before the 12; are they planning to make 100 of these games? This is, in all honesty, the stupidest title for a video game I've ever seen in my life. Yes, worse than Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time, because at least that's supposed to be funny. Yes, worse than Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, because that one merely stems from Square Enix's apparent inability to solve a simple division problem.

I know Square Enix is trying to out-pretentious themselves with each new game they develop, but what the fuck?

Avaitor

Quote from: Foggle on February 26, 2011, 11:28:00 AM
Something I'm curious about...

What the fuck is the meaning of the title Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy? What happened to the other 10? What the hell does Duodecim mean? Where the shit did they get the name Dissidia from in the first place? Why is there a 0 before the 12; are they planning to make 100 of these games? This is, in all honesty, the stupidest title for a video game I've ever seen in my life. Yes, worse than Dudebro: My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time, because at least that's supposed to be funny. Yes, worse than Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, because that one merely stems from Square Enix's apparent inability to solve a simple division problem.

I know Square Enix is trying to out-pretentious themselves with each new game they develop, but what the fuck?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Is that the fighting game? Hell, I can't keep up. Anyway, I downloaded Final Fantasy, 3 Dragon Warriors and some other NES RPGs for my cell phone yesterday. Man, I haven't played Maniac Mansion in forever.

Spark Of Spirit

Because whoever names their games these days is functionally retarded.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I had no idea what it meant until I googled it too. Apparently it means 12 or (2+10), and Dissidia is derived from a latin word that means one who causes conflict.

I don't know why they don't just take the simple route and call it Final Fantasy Fight or something. Because these titles are nearly impossible to pronounce and just confuse average customers who will be scared away by the 5 titles with XIII in them and the blank game covers.

Angus

You mean like Chocobo Racing?  :shakeshakeshake:
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon