Final Fantasy

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 02, 2011, 06:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

As far as spin offs, I just want a Crystal Chronicles that's as good as the first Gamecube one.

That was the best console FF since IX.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I started playing Final Fantasy for the first time on I believe Sunday. Damn that hole in the ground dungeon is hell.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, over the past couple of weeks a friend of mine has been coming into my room and has been playing Final Fantasy 13 all day long for several days (its quite distracting when I'm trying to study, but then again I can't say shit to him seeing as how I leech off of him for Molecular Biology recitation answers every week, so I count it as fair game). We both laugh at how corny the dialogue is in this game. I don't know if its just the English translator or if it was originally written to be this way, but its way too hard to take any of the characters seriously with such hilariously bad writing (to be fair, the voice actors themselves actually do a pretty good job, in that they would sound much better with a half-way decent script to work with).

When I stop to think about it, though, this is probably the only FF game that I have gone almost all of the way through, but in that regard this doesn't really count since I basically watched my friend play all of the way through, though I did admittedly try playing the game a few times for shits and giggles whenever my friend occasionally challenged me to take on some tougher bosses or enemy encounters. I'll give the game honest credit for 2 things: as someone who doesn't care for JRPGs primarily because I really can't get into most turn-based combat systems, the one in FF13 is actually pretty good, definitely better than the combat systems of any other FF games that I have tried, and most other JRPGs that I tried in general (I like how it puts importance on positions like in Chrono Trigger, and it actually calls for quick timing since it moves along a lot faster than most other JRPGs that I know of), and overall I actually had some fun with the deeper mechanics of this games combat system in terms of assigning and changing roles in mid-battle for party members and whatnot; the second thing I'll give it credit for is the battle theme music....I mean, wow, it would have to be good if the game forces you to listen to it through just about every single fucking battle, but in this case its amazingly good, to the point that I got disappointed whenever it was exchanged for boss music during the times my friend was taking on the different boss fights in the game.

Other than that, though, I still have a relatively negative impression of FF games. I also really don't understand how anyone at Square Enix thought it was a good idea to make an underaged girl make the most perverted battle noises ever, and I still can't get over the fact that Snow's supposed finace looks like she's fucking 12. Also, the black guy somehow gets the shittiest stats in the game and is embodied with just about every african american stereotype in existence. Damn, Square Enix may just be full of racist bastards. Also, why the fuck does almost everyone in the game have some sort of accent (ranging from Souther to Australian)? Sersiously, what's supposed to be the point of that? Stuff like that kind of makes me appreciate that there was no voice-acting in FF9 back when I played a little more than half-way through that game. The dialogue in FF13 can make me laugh or chuckle when I'm in a good mood, but when I'm in a serious mood and trying to study for upcoming exams, it just distracts me by making me cringe.

Yeah, I think I've been exposed to WAY more of this game than I wanted to be....but at least I still get those weekly recitation answers. :sly:

Angus

Who did they get to voice the characters in 13?

That does bring up the topic of games you've watched others play more than you've tried yourself. For some of the Final Fantasy games it's been about 50/50 but other games I don't mind when it's 80/20.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I actually laughed. People have been begging for a 7 remake for years and they pull this out.

Square really deserves all the crap they get.  :D
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I don't even know what to say.

Oh man. These guys, I swear...  :whuh:

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on September 14, 2011, 02:26:38 PM
I actually laughed. People have been begging for a 7 remake for years and they pull this out.

Square really deserves all the crap they get.  :D
:D Yeah. It makes no sense whatsoever. I guess they picked FFX because it would be easier to remake than the PS1 games.

GaryPotter

It would be a cinch to re-release the PS1 games. The only really challenging part would be re-rendering the backgrounds, but considering how graphics software has progressed I doubt it would be hard at all. I also know for a fact that they have HD versions of the cutscenes from the games because they showed them to the staff of PlayStation Magazine back in 2004.

Foggle

What the heck is Lightning even wearing in this picture?

I swear, FF somehow finds ways to become even stupider with each new game released.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I'm certainly not an FF fan, I always found FF9's character designs to be the most appealing of the 3D games for me, in particular. Something about the light-hearted fantasy elements of that game's art design in general actually kept me playing it for much longer than I could tolerate any other FF game. I much prefer it over the pseudo-realistic character models and pretentiously dark tone of most of the other 3D Final Fantasy games.

Spark Of Spirit

I can't believe there have been THREE Final Fantasy XIII games. Nobody wanted the first one and it has reflected with the second ones gigantic fracture in sales from the first.

Bring back the FFIX team. The X team has had way too many chances.

Rynnec

Quote from: Foggle on March 21, 2013, 07:34:55 PM
What the heck is Lightning even wearing in this picture?

Wow, just wow. That just looks ridiculous, and not in a "ridculously awesome" way. That has got to be one of the worst designs I've ever seen for a fictional character, ever.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 21, 2013, 08:56:33 PM
I can't believe there have been THREE Final Fantasy XIII games. Nobody wanted the first one and it has reflected with the second ones gigantic fracture in sales from the first.

The only reason they're making XIII-3 is because Lightning's apparently popular in Japan, and they fucked up with the ending to XIII-2.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on March 21, 2013, 08:56:33 PM
I thought the first one looked okay, but then it came out. XIII-2 improved some things from the first game, but also threw out literally everything good it had going for it. Lightning Returns seems to be like X-2 except even more insipid.

QuoteBring back the FFIX team. The X team has had way too many chances.
They mostly just need to dump that Toriyama guy ASAP. He's been responsible for many of Square's worst games - FF XIII trilogy, The 3rd Birthday, and MindJack.

Quote from: Rynnec on March 21, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
Wow, just wow. That just looks ridiculous, and not in a "ridculously awesome" way. That has got to be one of the worst designs I've ever seen for a fictional character, ever.
It's like... half jungle camo, half white dinner vest with a popped collar on top of a purple undershirt complemented by a choker, goggles she isn't actually working, a single shoulder pad, different colored/length gloves, part of a window curtain functioning as a skirt, asymmetrical leg armor exposing her thighs... PLUS bare midriff complete with visible thong. She's probably wearing two different shoes as well, one being a hooker boot, and the other a croc.

QuoteThe only reason they're making XIII-3 is because Lightning's apparently popular in Japan, and they fucked up with the ending to XIII-2.
Yeah, I've heard XIII-2's ending is one of the single worst moments in video game storytelling history.

I've been playing Crisis Core recently (you know, that FF7 prequel for the PSP), and I've been pleasantly surprised at how not terrible the writing is. The dialogue has been fun and unpretentious so far, with Zack and Angeal being very likable characters. Knowing Square, it might get worse later on, but so far I'm impressed, and wish they'd get this guy to write some of their major console releases.

Rynnec

Most of the complaints about CC's story come from Genesis (aka Gackt's insert avatar) and the unnecessarily large role he plays.