Metal Gear

Started by talonmalon333, January 26, 2015, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 27, 2015, 02:29:42 PM
thank you for ranking mgs4 so high!
It's a fantastic game IMO. The story goes to some truly stupid places, but it's a lot of fun and surprisingly emotional. And Metal Gear Online was so awesome as to be worth the $60 by itself.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 27, 2015, 02:37:00 PM
It's in Subsistence. Just press the right analog stick, and the camera shifts back to overhead view. :P
Ah, yes... Well, it's an amazing game regardless, but I don't think I'd love it nearly as much without the 3rd person camera.

QuoteWhat exactly is the story behind the NES games?
Metal Gear NES was a slapdash port/remake done by a third party studio to make extra money off of the popular new MSX game. I believe it was made specifically for American audiences. A lot of the best moments were ruined, and the new areas were terrible. Snake's Revenge was an unofficial sequel to this version of MG. While it's universally considered to be terrible, it's worth noting that we probably never would have gotten a true Metal Gear 2 without it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Metal Gear Rising is still my favorite MG game. :sly:

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 02:52:05 PM
It's a fantastic game IMO. The story goes to some truly stupid places, but it's a lot of fun and surprisingly emotional. And Metal Gear Online was so awesome as to be worth the $60 by itself.

I don't think it went that stupid. There are a few parts of it that did, but the main issue was that parts of it were confusing.

Spoiler
I really like how the game ends. The crawling scene at the end of the game was cinematic without being indulgent, since it comprised of gameplay. I also liked the final boss. And really, the hugeness of the game's story makes sense. Kojima really wanted to tie up every single lose end. Plus, the final scene with Snake and Big Boss was phenomenal. And Big Boss' salute at the end was my single favorite cutscene moment in the entire series.
[close]

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 02:52:05 PM
Metal Gear NES was a slapdash port/remake done by a third party studio to make extra money off of the popular new MSX game. I believe it was made specifically for American audiences. A lot of the best moments were ruined, and the new areas were terrible. Snake's Revenge was an unofficial sequel to this version of MG. While it's universally considered to be terrible, it's worth noting that we probably never would have gotten a true Metal Gear 2 without it.

Were those games always considered to be bad? Or were they appreciated back then, but now that people can legally play the MSX games, they have looked back to realize that the NES versions were weak alternatives?

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on January 27, 2015, 03:09:41 PM
Metal Gear Rising is still my favorite MG game. :sly:

How do you rank the other games game you played :happytime:

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 27, 2015, 03:17:03 PM
Spoiler
I really like how the game ends. The crawling scene at the end of the game was cinematic without being indulgent, since it comprised of gameplay. I also liked the final boss. And really, the hugeness of the game's story makes sense. Kojima really wanted to tie up every single lose end. Plus, the final scene with Snake and Big Boss was phenomenal. And Big Boss' salute at the end was my single favorite cutscene moment in the entire series.
[close]
I do too. The final part of the game is phenomenal. Perfect ending for Solid Snake's story. I hope The Phantom Pain does just as good of a job wrapping up the flashback arc.

QuoteWere those games always considered to be bad? Or were they appreciated back then, but now that people can legally play the MSX games, they have looked back to realize that the NES versions were weak alternatives?
Most people seem to like or at least appreciate MG NES until they play the MSX version. Snake's Revenge has always been widely hated, though.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 03:21:53 PM
I do too. The final part of the game is phenomenal. Perfect ending for Solid Snake's story. I hope The Phantom Pain does just as good of a job wrapping up the flashback arc.

I really ought to get to Peace Walker someday. I own it on PS3, and I really want to get to it before MGSV since it's a prequel to that game.

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 03:21:53 PM
Most people seem to like or at least appreciate MG NES until they play the MSX version. Snake's Revenge has always been widely hated, though.

When did you play the NES games?

Foggle

Something like 7-8 years ago was the first time. I remember enjoying MG NES back then, but now that I've played the MSX version... yeah, the port was kind of crap. Snake's Revenge was bad then and has gotten worse with age.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on January 27, 2015, 03:41:24 PM
Something like 7-8 years ago was the first time. I remember enjoying MG NES back then, but now that I've played the MSX version... yeah, the port was kind of crap. Snake's Revenge was bad then and has gotten worse with age.

7-8 years ago, Subsistence was already out and contained the MSX games. :D

What I wonder is, what will they do with Metal Gear after MGSV? I mean, it sounds like this is the game that will bring the Big Boss arc full circle, leading us back to the original Metal Gear, connecting the two plot threads. Is there really much else they can do after that?

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 27, 2015, 03:44:31 PM
7-8 years ago, Subsistence was already out and contained the MSX games. :D
It was probably more like 10 years ago, then. I remember being super excited for the release of Subsistence, and bought it on release day.

gunswordfist

2. mgs3

the 2nd mgs game i have played/owned. it has a lot of highs for the genre itself. a couple being my two favorite boss fights in this game and in the genre: no. 2 - volgin. the most fun i ever had with a motorcycle. seriously, the greatest motorcycle sequence in video game history. how they made such an awesome metal gear (the machine itself) boss possible on a ps2 is beyond me. i am still in awe. no. 1 - the end. the most intelligent stealth boss i have ever seen. the moment where he snuck up on snake, tranquilized him and reseted the boss fight is one of my all time favorite water cooler moments in gaming. a boss sneaking up on me is almost unheard of.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I also like that you can kill The End before the fight even starts, or just leave the game for a while and let him die of old age. :P

My favorite boss fight in that game is still The Boss, though.

gunswordfist

yes! the end has so many interesting facets to his boss fight. i love it.

1. mgs4

my favorite game of all time. i actually prefer the first areas, which had more freedom, iirc. i never would have thought that a more open ended mgs would be stealth perfection. it is still my favorite anything in the stealth genre. just give me a mgs with open world levels throughout (multiple, not just one and nothing too big) and you'll have a flawless game.

some of what i think each game excels at:

mgs2 - indoors. no other stealth game does it better imo. the clearing/picture in picture, tightly put together enemy squads, lockers, claymores, c4 that can go on floors, walls and enemy backs, stealth camo and more equals greatness..and more importantly, comedy. again, guards being all serious during clearing sequences and then the p.i.p abruptly getting cut off and the screaming that ensues after they get blown up by one of my explosives will never not be funny.

mgs3- jungle. i had a lot of fun in it. if only the indoors areas were as good as 2's...

mgs4 - and of course gotp does big levels the best

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 27, 2015, 05:20:15 PM
picture in picture
Seriously, every stealth game should have this. Outside of Siren, which uses it mainly for horror, I've never seen another series that does it.

gunswordfist

once i think about it, rayman is the only other game that i have played that has it...and only because of code.

gunswordfist

what kind of gameplay does acid and peace walker have?

talonmalon333

Did you hear about this project? Konami actually gave a few developers permission to make a fan remake of the original Metal Gear, on the grounds that they don't make any money off of it. This was the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLGSxQifJW0

And yes that's David Hayter. They got him for it.

Eventually, the project was canceled. Apparently, Konami changed their minds on letting them use copyrighted content.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/3/5775176/metal-gear-remake-given-the-go-ahead-by-konami
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-18-canned-metal-gear-fan-remake-reveals-david-hayter-involvement
http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=15510