Devil May Cry Series

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 06, 2013, 09:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Maybe for the next DMC, they could have Capcom develop the core combat and Ninja Theory design the stages. I think that'd be amazing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I wouldn't mind if "DmC" got a sequel, and if I like this game enough when I try it, then I'll probably end up picking up the sequel if it ever really does get one. That said, I wish that this series wasn't replacing the classic DMC series, and instead was just a spin-off series of its own. Even if I end up enjoying this game, that still doesn't change the fact that I really like DMC 1, 3, and 4, and I would genuinely love to see a proper DMC5 in the future. Unfortunately, that future is now completely unlikely. If this game does well, then it'll replace the old series. If it does poorly, then DMC is dead forever.

Foggle

I think DmC happened because the DMC team has actually moved on to other projects, like Dragon's Dogma - which will be getting a sequel, I believe. As much as I enjoy DMC, I'm actually glad Capcom is letting them do new things, as I'd hate to see them forced into pumping out Devil May Cry games (and nothing else) for eternity like Kojima Productions and Metal Gear.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have no problem with them doing other things at all. I just hope that this isn't the end of the classic DMC series, like....forever. I wouldn't mind waiting a few years for something like DMC5, but I still would want it to happen. To me, a series should only stop in its tracks if its in danger of getting stale. While I'm not the biggest fan of DMC4, I did not consider it a stale game in the least, and I felt that there were still genuine improvements the series could make to make for an even better game if they were to come out with a 5th game. Instead what we got was a reboot, which for what it is looks like a fun game, but its also far removed from the previous games, even in terms of the general gameplay which moves in a radically different direction than the focus of the classic games. I'm fine with that as it keeps DMC as a franchise fresh as a whole, but that doesn't mean that there is no room for the classic style of DMC games as well. That said, it makes sense that they can't make one anytime soon since the team behind DMC 3 and 4 is working on other stuff, and I'm glad that they are, but I do hope that they would one day consider coming back to take the reigns of the classic DMC series. That's just how I feel, though.

Foggle

They should just farm DMC 5 out to Platinum. I'm sure Kamiya would be more than happy to do it. ;)

Rynnec

I think Kamiya's gone on record as saying that if he wanted to make another DMC game, he would've stayed at Capcom. That combined with the fact that the two companies parted ways under less than flattering circumstances makes Platinum developing a DMC title (or any Capcom title for that matter) rather unlikely. :(

I don't mind the DMC 3-4 team working on other things, but if that's the case I'd rather Capcom just let the DMC franchise take a break rather than reboot it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on January 21, 2013, 04:36:20 PM
They should just farm DMC 5 out to Platinum. I'm sure Kamiya would be more than happy to do it. ;)

Haha, That's a good one.  :D

But we all know that there is WAY too much bad blood between Platinum and Capcom to ever have them collaborate on a game. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rynnec on January 21, 2013, 04:40:54 PM
I don't mind the DMC 3-4 team working on other things, but if that's the case I'd rather Capcom just let the DMC franchise take a break rather than reboot it.

I suppose Capcom felt that if they let the DMC series be on hiatus for too long, then people would just lose interest in it and forget about it altogether, and if they were to come up with a new DMC game too late then there wouldn't be enough people who'd buy it. Now, that's Capcom logic speaking. They clearly underestimate how dedicated a fanbase for good game series' can be. That, and they could still sell a new DMC game to newcomers just as well as the classic ones if they marketed it properly.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 21, 2013, 04:48:27 PM
But we all know that there is WAY too much bad blood between Platinum and Capcom to ever have them collaborate on a game. ;)
Yeah, it's the same reason why we'll never see RE7 by Tango or Mega Man 11 by Comcept. :cry:

Spark Of Spirit

Mega Man X9 by Inticreates might have happened... if Inafune didn't leave.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sage's Review on DmC: "Dante has never felt more responsive nor more fluid in combat."

And do any of you still wonder why I can't stand this guy's reviews? Has he even played the previous DMC games to make an accurate comparison of this? The thing that bothers me about this statement is that regardless of how responsive and smooth DmC may be, the DMC games were already noteworthy for having extremely responsive controls and fluid action. Nothing about this game could make it any more "responsive" than a series of games that were already as responsive as you could get in a game. As I've said before, how much more responsive can you get than the game doing exactly what you input into your controller without fail?

As for feeling more fluid, maybe he's talking about the animations in the game which are admittedly a bit smoother than in the classic DMC games, but even so, I dislike how he claims that the gameplay and combat in DmC is just fine and completely fits in with what DMC fans would expect when he clearly doesn't seem to know the intricacies of the combat system from each game. That's another thing he got wrong in his review, when he stated that previous DMC games were primarily about the combat. The thing is, that depends. The 1st game was just as much about its atmosphere as it was about fighting enemies, and there was a lot of puzzle solving as well, so combat was a main focus of the game but not the "primary" focus (if that makes any sense). It wasn't until DMC3 that the series really became strictly associated with its deep combat system.

Also, he's one of the guys who says the story is good, and says nothing about how horrendous some of the dialogue is aside from mentioning that the game has some "cheesy one-liners" as expected of a DMC game. And, as you all know, I just can't agree with that. And yes, I've seen the ENTIRE story and all of the game in general on Youtube, so I know the whole story from start to finish....its really not good story-telling; don't listen to the people who say that it is. He also never mentions how unintentionally unlikable some of the characters, which I suppose means that he had no problems with them....and that's yet another problem I have with this outlook on video game stories, in general.

I think what really ticks me off about this particular review, though, is what he says at the end along the lines of if people don't want to check out this game because of "whatever shallow reason, then there loss." Here's the thing that a lot of game critics in general need to get about a lot of fan back-lash to DmC; only a portion of it is from outraged fanboys who just can't stand the new look of the game and that its being made by a Western developer. There are also a huge portion of people who didn't like the direction of this game for other reasons, such as the focus of the gameplay and the significant changes it made to combat. I notice how Sage never mentioned anything about how this title stripped away the numerous styles that Dante was known for having in DMC 3 and 4, which deepened the overall combat options that the game allowed you. That's actually a BIG difference in combat alone, and even Angry Joe made sure to mention that in his review as one of the downside of the games despite still giving the game a mostly positive review.

My point is that I don't mind that there are a lot of people who like this game and try to promote it as being better than what a lot of the initial haters made it out to be, but at the same time I hate how ignorantly they bash all fans of the classic games in general who weren't too keen on this reboot. They may think that everyone who isn't a fan of this new game are just ignorant people who just want Dante to have his normal "hair" back, but if that's truly what they believe then these people are more clueless than I thought.

Spark Of Spirit

It's okay to dislike games for shallow reasons, but not like them for shallow reasons? I'm not paying $60+ for a game that I might not like. It's my money, and whatever reason I give to not wanting to spend it is valid especially in this day and age. I don't even have any feeling on the game one way or another, and I really don't care about his awful design. I still got Bionic Commando, after all.

But yeah if doesn't sell then it's HIS loss, not mine, because there will be no sequel. So fans get denied a game and I go on to play something else I'll probably like better. That's a dumb criticism of complainers that never holds water whenever I hear it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here is some footage of the PC version DmC running at 60 FPS.

As you can see, there is a clear difference in how much smoother the PC version looks than the console versions of the game. Too bad I don't own a good enough PC to play this game on, as I'd much rather go for this version of the game whenever I do eventually get it, if I actually had hardware that I could play it on.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm not too far off from completing DMC3 on Hard Mode, now, but after that I wonder if I should take a break from Dante to complete a play-through as Vergil, or if I should just go all the way up through Very Hard and DMD mode as Dante first. I'm tending toward the latter option because my concern about switching over to Vergil is that I'll end up getting too used to his style of play, and thus have a hard time when I have to switch back to Dante and pick up from where I left off on Very Hard mode. Still, I've been eager to properly try out Vergil for quite a while, now.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I'm on mission 18 of DMC3 on Hard mode, now.....Man, why did they feel the need to pad out the game like this. Just like DMC4's mission 19, there is absolutely NO reason for this level to exist, other than to round the game out to an even 20 stages, which is really stretching it for such a silly reason. Its basically just a boss rush level. Well, whatever the case is, it doesn't hurt the game that much for me in the long run, but it is rather annoying that the developers pull such a cheap trick on you. Thankfully most of the boss fights in this game are pretty decent, so I can tolerate it. The only boss fight I downright hate is the fight with Lady, which isn't frustrating because its difficult (its actually a joke, at least up to Hard mode), but because she is so damn annoying to fight since she won't ever stay still and just runs around the stage, forcing you to just take a few hits on her at a time and slowly whittle down her health in what feels more tedious than it is fun. Fortunately that's one of the only 2 boss fights in the game that you have to deal with once per play-through.

Anyways, as far as my status goes, I've finally gotten Trickster to level 3 (and I also have Sword master at Level 3). I'll stick between Trickster and Sword Master for the rest of this play-through, but I'll likely switching to Gunslinger for my 3rd play-through as Dante on Very Hard mode once I unlock that. I also leveled up my Devil Trigger Gauge (I only have 2 purple orbs left to buy for it, so its nearly at its max length), and I leveled up my Shotgun to level 3 (and I also have Ebony & Ivory and Kalina Ann at level 3 as well).