"The Avengers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Avaitor, May 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

I think the reason why I loathe IM2 so much is because of crippling disappointment. You loved the first one, the previews looked just as good, you paid your money, you saw the thing, and near immediately it hit you in the groin. I haven't seen the movie since opening day but I'm sure my opinions of it wouldn't change one bit. In fact there's only one Marvel movie that made me more angry upon first viewing and that was "THE NON-CANON X-MEN PREQUEL THAT WE WILL NEVER SPEAK OF AGAIN"(TM).

Foggle

You mean the one featuring The Merc Without A Mouth?

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on May 05, 2012, 12:59:30 AM
......yes that one.

Foggle

Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 05, 2012, 01:03:06 AM
......yes that one.
The video game was better. (No, really, it was.)

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Foggle on May 05, 2012, 01:03:58 AM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on May 05, 2012, 01:03:06 AM
......yes that one.
The video game was better. (No, really, it was.)
I'd take Sir Steven of Blum over Van Wilder any day.

Daxdiv

Right now I probably rank them as following

1. Avengers
2. Captain America
3. Iron Man 1
4. Thor
5. Hulk
6. Iron Man 2.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually do think I would rank Captain America over Iron Man 1, myself, if I got to see it again. I just haven't seen it since I was in theaters, while I've seen Iron Man 1 the most (its the only one of these movies that I actually own on DVD, after all). That said, Captain America really impressed me and personally he's my favorite of these super heroes based on the films, so once I get the chance to re-watch Captain America to see if it holds up as good as the first time I saw it, I think it may very well overtake Iron Man for me (the same goes for The Avengers, of course).

Avaitor

Well I'm going to see it again with my uncle tomorrow night. I'm already excited.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 05, 2012, 09:28:33 AM
I actually do think I would rank Captain America over Iron Man 1, myself, if I got to see it again. I just haven't seen it since I was in theaters, while I've seen Iron Man 1 the most (its the only one of these movies that I actually own on DVD, after all). That said, Captain America really impressed me and personally he's my favorite of these super heroes based on the films, so once I get the chance to re-watch Captain America to see if it holds up as good as the first time I saw it, I think it may very well overtake Iron Man for me (the same goes for The Avengers, of course).
Same here. I probably agree with Daxdiv's ranking the most, since I really enjoyed Captain America in these movies. He's never been a favorite of mine, but this portrayal felt very genuine to me. Just like Thor's and Iron Man's, but Captain America felt a bit more grounded to me despite being a popcorn action flick.

I would probably rank Thor and Iron Man 1 the same. Iron Man is probably better as a film, but I really enjoyed how Thor's development more than Tony's. Though I can't count out Iron Man since it was the first time I've genuinely liked the character. Both are pretty great superhero movies.

Iron Man 2 just doesn't stick to you at all. The only thing I genuinely enjoyed was the final battle and Tony's message from his father. The rest kind of just... was there.

The Hulk movies just didn't click with me. I think Bruce Banner works better with other heroes.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I actually greatly prefer Hulk in the Defenders, since he fit in better with them than he did with the Avengers.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Personally I thought Ed Norton did a good job as Bruce Banner. The same goes for Mark Ruffalo, but I can't fairly compare them unless Ruffalo got his own Hulk movie rather than just being part of The Avengers. Honestly I liked The Incredible Hulk quite a bit. I haven't read the comics, though, so I'm not sure what a better way to portray The Hulk would be, but I found that version of The Hulk to click pretty well for me, at least.

Anyways, on the topic of The Avengers, I just have to wonder if Marvel will ever be able to top this movie with a sequel. I mean, we all know that the inevitable success of this film will make The Avengers 2 a sure thing, but there's something special about seeing these super heroes team up together on the big screen for the first time that just can't be replicated in any sequel, since now you've already seen it. That said, I don't think we'll have to think about a sequel for quite a while, since Marvel now has to make quite a few stand alone movies to build up to the next major plot point that warrants the next Avengers movie.

I myself do really want to see this movie again, like....right now. I may even just go to the theaters myself and see it again later this week, if I can't get any friends to see it with me (since most of them have already seen it as well). I do honestly feel that this is probably the best of the Avengers series of movies (including the stand-alone movies as part of the same series, of course), but I just can't rank it at the top until I see it again (its sort of an unwritten rule of mine, I suppose).

Spark Of Spirit

I think Iron Man 3 is next. Which is too bad, since at this point I'd much rather a second Thor film. I'm not really sure how a second Captain America would go, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Aren't we getting both Iron Man 3 AND Thor 2 next summer, anyways?

If I'm not mistaken, Summer 2013 is the scheduled release window for both of those sequels, whereas Summer 2014 is the target release window for Captain America 2 (or so I've heard, anyways). I don't see what the big deal is if we get them both in the same season.

At any rate, I like Iron Man 1 and Thor, so I'm hoping that both sequels turn out to be great. I know that a lot of people, including myself, were turned off by Iron Man 2, but that doesn't automatically mean that I think Iron Man 3 will suck. I think it depends on how well the director responds to criticism of the 2nd film, and if he can actually realize what it is that made the first film work so well. As for Thor 2, I've heard that its supposedly supposed to be Marvel's most ambitious movie project next to The Avengers, but I have no idea what that's supposed to mean. Perhaps it'll delve into more detail about some of the other realms? I guess we'll have to wait and see to find out.

Overall, though, I think its safe to say that Marvel has definitely been on their A game since last year. The 3 movies that they released last summer were all good, if not great (X-Men: First Class, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger), and The Avengers is obviously and absolute hit, and arguably even their best film yet. As far as I'm concerned, that's 4 for 4 in the span of less than a year. Now we'll just have to see if The Amazing Spider-Man can actually manage to be a satisfying adaptation for both comic book fans and casual audiences alike.

I know that I was not keen on a reboot at first, but if only because Marvel seems to be on top of their superhero films now, I feel as though I might give this one a chance if it at least manages to get decent reviews.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 05, 2012, 07:28:46 PM
Aren't we getting both Iron Man 3 AND Thor 2 next summer, anyways?
Thor's coming out the week before Thanksgiving.

The schedule as it stands is...

May 3, 2013 - Iron Man 3
November 15, 2013 - Thor 2
April 4, 2014 - Captain America 2
TBD, 2015 - Incredible Hulk 2

Avaitor

New blog!