Ratchet & Clank

Started by Foggle, May 10, 2012, 12:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I'm pretty sure that, despite earlier implications, this is only going to be planets from the first game, along with some entirely new ones. Unless those "new ones" are actually levels from GC and/or UYA, which would be awesome too. Regardless of what they meant, I wouldn't be surprised if Annihilation Nation was the arena.

I actually really like Oltanis, but yeah, it has no plot significance. Orxon is pretty important to the story (being the Blarg's home planet and all), but it should probably be entirely redesigned for the new game should they bring it back. I'm personally surprised that Gaspar and Novalis made it into the game. I hope they have Aridia too.

Foggle

It's like 2002 all over again! :'(

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

It's his reaction to the pre-release sales. :D

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

Looks like this will make up for ACiT's disappointing sales. Such a same that wasn't a hit.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Apparently ACIT's sales were more underwhelming than disappointing. It didn't sell as well as previous entries, but I believe it also had a lower budget and less marketing. Insomniac continues to call that game and even Resistance 3 (apparently they stopped making those games after the third one because they wanted to, and it was actually the Vita game that killed the franchise) successful, so who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I think the combined forces of a real marketing campaign, lower price tag, nostalgia for the original R&C (it turns 14 next year!), the current revival of 3D platformers, and a lack of quality exclusives for the PS4 have all helped make Ratchet & Clank popular again.

It's still #1 and 3, by the way.

Spark Of Spirit

It had a lower budget? Man, that game looks fantastic even now. I think it's one of the best looking and running PS3 games. Weird that it had a lower budget than ToD since it really does look much more impressive and has much more content.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Insomniac has always been able to do a lot with a little. They're one of the most talented studios out there. :D

Apparently the new game only runs at 30fps despite what that video said, but it looks super smooth regardless. The problem with ITN's framerate was that it dropped to around 20fps frequently (which I'm sure can be attributed to the tiny budget and short development cycle). I'm almost positive that Resistance 3 was also 30fps and it still felt smooth as hell. The furor over this kind of shit is insufferable.

Foggle

New trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTQ_8VMjxYk

Swimming gameplay is finally back (so is grinding)
Clank moves much faster than in previous games, has bombs, and can double jump
Squishy Nefarious is a secondary villain
Dogfights look like much better iterations on the ones from the first two games
"Pokitaru is almost the same layout. Many levels are different or new."

So excited!

Spark Of Spirit

Pokitaru had some of the best level design in the first game, so that doesn't surprise me.

Still, this is looking good!

Foggle

If you look closely at the world map during the flying segment, you can see that Pokitaru basically is a straight remake. That's great!

Someone also pointed out that Clank's robot helpers from the first two games are back. :joy:

gunswordfist

I'm always surprised to see how many freaking features this series has had.

Foggle

It's from the beautiful era where video games tried to do as much as possible without sacrificing quality or implementing a tedious open world. PS2 generation, baby!

gunswordfist

Very true. My favorite 3D era.