Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

It's also a joint effort between the original R&C/Spyro team and the newer Resistance/SO team. Everyone at the studio is working on it. All it needs now is David Bergeaud back to make an OST similar to the PS2 games and it'll be perfect.

I just wish they would show us something already. We were supposed to see footage in November/December of last year, and the game was intended to be out in the first half of this year! The developers have claimed multiple times that it's on track and coming along great, which I guess means Sony is just refusing to market it for some reason...? I swear, if this gets a stealth release like Thieves In Time, I'll never forgive them.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Now that Uncharted 4 is delayed, does Sony even have any other major first/second party exclusives in the pipe for 2015? Maybe this means Ratchet will have a huge E3 presence for once...

Spark Of Spirit

It would be the first time since Tools of Destruction that the series would get any meaningful focus from Sony so it would be nice. There aren't very many exclusives out there that look appealing to me.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2015, 02:27:03 PM
It would be the first time since Tools of Destruction that the series would get any meaningful focus from Sony so it would be nice. There aren't very many exclusives out there that look appealing to me.
I think Resistance 2 was the last time Sony gave a shit about Insomniac's games. I have to wonder what they did to piss them off. A Crack In Time and (from what I hear) Resistance 3 deserved to be blockbusters, but neither really sold too well because their publisher refused to market them. Also, I think Into The Nexus somehow had even less marketing than A4O and FFA. Such a shame. :(

Spark Of Spirit

It's probably why Insomniac went full blown third party. Microsoft's hype of Sunset Overdrive is what Sony should have given to Resistance 3 and A Crack in Time since Sony needed focus on their exclusives. But it seems like only Naughty Dog gets that focus now. Not even their Japanese teams get any focus.

Foggle

Too right about Naughty Dog. They make good games, but goddamn Sony, you have other developers making exclusives too, y'know!

IG just can't seem to catch a break these days. EA's focus testers gutted Overstrike, Sunset Overdrive bombed because of the Xbox One's low install base, Sony has only mentioned the PS4 Ratchet & Clank remake (their "biggest game ever") in passing; apparently they've at least broken even on every game they've released - which does speak as a testament to how good they are at using small-mid budgets to their fullest extent - but it's still sad. These guys sold consoles in the PS1 and 2 days! Spyro was huge with kids and adults alike, Ratchet & Clank got some of the highest review scores on the system and managed to be the first American video game series to find real popularity in Japan, Resistance was Sony's biggest PS3 launch hit... Everyone always says Insomniac "betrayed" Sony by making Fuse and Sunset Overdrive, but really, it was Sony who betrayed them.

Spark Of Spirit

It's why I wish they'd work with Nintendo on a brand new platformer IP. A new 3D platformer between the two would certainly fit both fanbases and boost sales for both companies.

Maybe if Sony sees how successful that would be they'd start giving Insomniac some focus again.

gunswordfist

Didn't Crash used to be the highest selling American(Western?) series in Japan?

Anyway, I always forget that E3 hasn't happen this year yet, like I do every year since Killzone 2 E3.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Crash fell off like a rock after Wrath of Cortex totally tanked. It was rather amazing how fast that series dropped off the map.

gunswordfist

I haven't paid attention to the series since CTR. Was Wrath Of Cortex really that bad?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 23, 2015, 03:20:08 PM
I haven't paid attention to the series since CTR. Was Wrath Of Cortex really that bad?
It was apparently a retread of the first three games that offered nothing new except horrible load times. I don't even remember if I ever played it, but I remember playing Twinsanity and that was alright.

None of the post-Naughty Dog games were anywhere near the level of the original games, though.

gunswordfist

The last sentence is not surprising.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2015, 03:13:18 PM
It's why I wish they'd work with Nintendo on a brand new platformer IP. A new 3D platformer between the two would certainly fit both fanbases and boost sales for both companies.
That would be fun! They've worked with everyone else now, so they might as well. IG loves pushing console hardware as far as it can go, so we could see some real impressive visuals on the Wii U from them.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 23, 2015, 03:16:31 PM
Didn't Crash used to be the highest selling American(Western?) series in Japan?
It was, I think. Ratchet & Clank was a big breakthrough, though. It marked the first ever time a western game was bundled with a console in Japan!

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 23, 2015, 03:20:08 PM
Was Wrath Of Cortex really that bad?
It wasn't horrible, but it was thoroughly mediocre and had absolutely horrific load times.

gunswordfist

I had no clue the first Ratchet was that big anywhere.