Platformers

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 21, 2011, 12:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

It sold over 3.5 million copies, was bundled with consoles in all regions, had actual television advertisements & a big section of E3 dedicated to it, and holds an 88 on Metacritic. I believe the second game was announced and even started development before the first one came out.

gunswordfist

:o If only they knew how to hype games these days.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2015, 03:22:20 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 23, 2015, 03:20:08 PM
I haven't paid attention to the series since CTR. Was Wrath Of Cortex really that bad?
It was apparently a retread of the first three games that offered nothing new except horrible load times. I don't even remember if I ever played it, but I remember playing Twinsanity and that was alright.

None of the post-Naughty Dog games were anywhere near the level of the original games, though.

Yeah, Wrath of Cortex was nothing to write home about. It's.....I mean the game itself is not overtly terrible or anything, it's a step below the first couple and largely does consist of recycled elements of those games for the most part, but it's not like Bubsy 3D bad or anything. The load times are definitely what kill it though; especially the PS2 version, which is what I owned and is an absolute slog in every way (area transitions alone can take literal minutes to sit through). I've heard the GCN version was slightly better in this aspect, but not by much.

Spark Of Spirit

It is funny because that game had HUGE hype before it came out. Magazine covers, commercials, and lots of previews. Some platformers like Maximo didn't even get the hype Wrath of Cortex got and are undeservedly forgotten now. It had all the big breaks. But then WOC actually came out, was average in every respect except load times, and Crash never received mainstream attention ever again. All it took was one game.

I mean, the PS2 gen games weren't great or anything, but I'm really surprised at how fast Crash fell.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

It's just.....so forgettable in every facet, aside from the load times, and that's not something you want your game to be remembered for.

In the most objective light possible, it's a very average to mediocre platformer. Not great or even good in any real way, but not inherently terrible like some. It's just.....there. I guess it is surprising that this is what ultimately killed the series as much as it did, because it's not like it's Bubsy 3D/Superman 64-esque in quality. It should've taken something worse.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 23, 2015, 06:30:06 PM
It is funny because that game had HUGE hype before it came out. Magazine covers, commercials, and lots of previews. Some platformers like Maximo didn't even get the hype Wrath of Cortex got and are undeservedly forgotten now. It had all the big breaks. But then WOC actually came out, was average in every respect except load times, and Crash never received mainstream attention ever again. All it took was one game.

I mean, the PS2 gen games weren't great or anything, but I'm really surprised at how fast Crash fell.
Same thing happened with Spyro IIRC. Except, in Spyro's case, Enter The Dragonfly actually was bad.

I had the GameCube version of WOC. The load times were about a full minute per screen rather than two. Still horrendous. I'm kinda' thankful I played that game and ETD as a kid, though; I think they inoculated me against bad loading times to the point where I barely notice them anymore.

talonmalon333

Apparently Croc was originally intended to be a N64 game starring Yoshi, but the developers couldn't come to an agreement with Nintendo so they came up with the Croc character. Might explain why the game has a really nice atmosphere to it (listen to that soundtrack), though that also might explain why the game isn't very good. The curse of Yoshi games post-Yoshi's Island strikes again. :imnothappy:

gunswordfist

talonmalon333

There is also a physical resemblance between Yoshi and Croc. It might even explain Croc's backpack. Never made sense for him to be lugging that around in the game, but then you realize that there was probably a saddle in its place initially...

gunswordfist

Foggle

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tembo_the_Badass_ElephantTembo the Badass Elephant

Developer(s)    Game Freak
Publisher(s)    Sega
Platform(s)    Microsoft Windows
                       PlayStation 4
                       Xbox One

how is this possible

Spark Of Spirit

I heard it was because it does things lesser systems can't handle. It almost made sense. Then I look at how Bloodstained is going to be on Wii U and Vita and just shrug.

Not releasing a platformer on a Nintendo or portable system has usually limited sales by quite a bit, historically. But then I'm jus' a no-nothing country bumpkin talkin bout big city folk publishin' so what do I know?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

But, like, Game Freak. Developing a mascot platformer for Nintendo's 90's rival. Available on every current home console except the Wii U. That's some Bizarro World shit.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on July 20, 2015, 08:59:16 PM
But, like, Game Freak. Developing a mascot platformer for Nintendo's 90's rival. Available on every current home console except the Wii U. That's some Bizarro World shit.
Well, they did make Pulseman for the Genesis and not the SNES.

But it doesn't really make a lot of sense at the end of the day. Nothing is really stopping this from being on a Nintendo system except for Sega not telling them to put it there. Given some of the dumb decisions Sega's made over the last few years, this would be just another silly one.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on July 20, 2015, 08:48:05 PM
Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tembo_the_Badass_ElephantTembo the Badass Elephant

Developer(s)    Game Freak
Publisher(s)    Sega
Platform(s)    Microsoft Windows
                       PlayStation 4
                       Xbox One

how is this possible
*looks at sig* Do I have to explain? Unless you're statement is about how awesome this sounds then I'm with you!