E3 2017

Started by Spark Of Spirit, June 08, 2017, 08:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Well, at least they had two interesting games this year. Ubi usually has none. So points for improvements!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

They usually do have about 2. There probably is so much failed potential at these E3s.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Sony's conference was awful. If Spider-Man wasn't being made by Insomniac that footage would have made me lose all interest in it. The rest of the games looked lame too, especially Marvel vs. Capcom.

I can't believe Bethesda might win E3.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, what an interesting line-up of movie trailers that Sony brought us this year. :>

But, seriously, AAA gaming just doesn't interest me in the slightest anymore. I was utterly bored throughout most of that presentation, with just the slightest hope that a new DMC game might be announced, but of course it's the twentieth Monster Hunter game.

I'll grant you that there will likely be some smaller titles that didn't make the main show which catch my interest, but a majority of the big budget stuff just left me feeling cold, personally.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 12, 2017, 09:13:21 PM
Sony's conference was awful. If Spider-Man wasn't being made by Insomniac that footage would have made me lose all interest in it. The rest of the games looked lame too, especially Marvel vs. Capcom.

That Spider-Man game looks like yet another uninspired Arkham knockoff, and we all know how tired that series has gotten.

And most of my excitement for MVCI was lost when I realized that it would be scaling back to a 2V2 set-up, and then the reveal of DBFZ's amazing gameplay footage pretty much killed off any remaining interest that I had in the game. Despite this, I'll still probably pick it up because I'm a sucker for anything with Dante in it.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 12, 2017, 09:16:14 PM
Well, what an interesting line-up of movie trailers that Sony brought us this year. :>
Seriously. Almost no gameplay footage to be seen, and what little there was looked like on-rails tripe (quite literally in the case of some of the VR games).

QuoteBut, seriously, AAA gaming just doesn't interest me in the slightest anymore. I was utterly bored throughout most of that presentation, with just the slightest hope that a new DMC game might be announced, but of course it's the twentieth Monster Hunter game.
But what about The Last of Us 2 I mean Days Gone? It looks very inspired and not at all boring!

QuoteI'll grant you that there will likely be some smaller titles that didn't make the main show which catch my interest, but a majority of the big budget stuff just left me feeling cold, personally.
Honestly, the most interesting looking game for me was the one with the cute mouse protagonist... until I realized it was a point & click VR title and not a platforming adventure. :-\ :-\ :-\

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 12, 2017, 09:21:03 PM
That Spider-Man game looks like yet another uninspired Arkham knockoff, and we all know how tired that series has gotten.
The moment I saw the Arkham combat system rear its disgusting head I immediately uttered "oh no" like that fucking Knuckles meme. And the QTEs, too... :srs:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, and then there's the new God of War. I recently played GoW3, and to be blunt, I'm not a fan. But at least I can definitively call that a real video game. The fact that this new one got so many loud cheers is part of the reason I have become so distant from the mainstream gaming community. Once again, go watch TGBS's video on the reveal from last year. It's disheartening to see that this is the direction that people want gaming to move in.

If anyone enjoyed this stuff, then I'm happy for you, but personally this E3 has been strangely depressing for me, even though I'm technically only getting exactly what I expected going into it. I guess I've just been burned one too many times from unrealistically getting my hopes up.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on June 12, 2017, 09:13:21 PM

I can't even remember when Bethesda showed but you're probably right. Ubi had a CG trailer save them and I literally forgot I watched MS' press conference after I googled to check what time it came on today. :D
On topic, what a movie game Spider-Man seems to be. And the combat was sssslllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww. that was the first foul. That and stealth for no reason. You are SPIDER-MAN! Bullets and people can't hit you. There are no hostages. Punch faces. I can't believe Insomniac has failed me (so far).
I actually thought the MVCI trailer was interesting..but trailer. And no X-Men. Used game purchase at best.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on June 12, 2017, 09:25:23 PMSeriously. Almost no gameplay footage to be seen, and what little there was looked like on-rails tripe (quite literally in the case of some of the VR games).

But Foggle, clearly you are missing the greater picture here of how video games as an art form are really about horribly aping popular movie cliches constructing compelling narratives with interactive button prompts guiding players of any skill level along. I mean, just look at prentious drivel captivating examples like Detroit.

QuoteBut what about The Last of Us 2 I mean Days Gone? It looks very inspired and not at all boring!

Why didn't they just show TLOU2 footage? Even if the gameplay was unfinished, it's not like they were interested in showing off any gameplay to begin with, and I'm sure Naughty Dog could have spared them another thirty seconds of pre-rendered CG footage that probably would have gone over better than what they did show of this new game, which will inevitably only draw comparisons to TLOU to begin with.

Dreamer2

I haven't watched anything from Sony's conference get, but I like the sound of Detroit (I know it was announced a while ago, but I'm super behind in the gaming world for a couple of reasons). I'll have to see if anything else catches my attention.

Rynnec

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 12, 2017, 09:21:03 PM

And most of my excitement for MVCI was lost when I realized that it would be scaling back to a 2V2 set-up, and then the reveal of DBFZ's amazing gameplay footage pretty much killed off any remaining interest that I had in the game. Despite this, I'll still probably pick it up because I'm a sucker for anything with Dante in it.

I honestly much prefer the 2v2 set up of MVC1 and Tastunoko vs Capcom to UMvC3's cluterfuck. The problem I have with MVCI is of course its bland roster and horrible graphics. Only things that got me hype in that entire trailer were Dante and Zero returning.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 12, 2017, 09:27:44 PM
Oh, and then there's the new God of War. I recently played GoW3, and to be blunt, I'm not a fan. But at least I can definitively call that a real video game. The fact that this new one got so many loud cheers is part of the reason I have become so distant from the mainstream gaming community. Once again, go watch TGBS's video on the reveal from last year. It's disheartening to see that this is the direction that people want gaming to move in.

If anyone enjoyed this stuff, then I'm happy for you, but personally this E3 has been strangely depressing for me, even though I'm technically only getting exactly what I expected going into it. I guess I've just been burned one too many times from unrealistically getting my hopes up.

I had a less than stellar experience with the first GoW as you probably remember, and GoW2 is okay at best, but even still that trailer for Dad of War is not what I want out of a GoW. The combat looks even slower than ever, and the gore, arguably the one saving grace of the series, has been seriously toned down because..fuck if I know. Kratos being somewhat bearable for once is a change I welcome, but if this is the direction they're taking the series, I'd much rather play as the kid or Kratos' wife and get rid of the GoW name altogether.

Spark Of Spirit

You guys said everything I was going to. For the longest time I thought Sony forgot they were at E3 2017 and brought footage from last year to show. There was nothing at all that interested me. At least Microsoft had DBZ, Ubi had Mario x Rabbids, and Bethesda had Wolfenstein II.

Was so let down by Spiderman being Arkham Asylum with QTEs. I'll probably end up playing it eventually, but that was disappointing. Insomniac is better than that.

Nintendo tomorrow, and we can wrap this E3 up. Not very impressive overall.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I was half watching...Dante returned?
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 12, 2017, 09:47:20 PM
You guys said everything I was going to. For the longest time I thought Sony forgot they were at E3 2017 and brought footage from last year to show. There was nothing at all that interested me. At least Microsoft had DBZ, Ubi had Mario x Rabbids, and Bethesda had Wolfenstein II.

Was so let down by Spiderman being Arkham Asylum with QTEs. I'll probably end up playing it eventually, but that was disappointing. Insomniac is better than that.

Nintendo tomorrow, and we can wrap this E3 up. Not very impressive overall.
Oh right, MS had DBFZ. I forgot since they aren't publishing or developing it. :D
Looks like Sonic Mania, Cuphead and DBFZ are my only top anticipated games that I plan on buying in the near future...not that I was going to buy a console anyway. :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I personally prefer the craziness of MVC2 and 3, though mind you I never attempted to play them competitively. I was always really casual with those games. I was honestly never a big fan of MVC1 despite owning it on the Dreamcast. It just felt way too slow for me to go back to after playing MVC2.

I could live with 2V2, and the graphics don't bother me that much (I mean, KOF 14 got away with worse), but I absolutely do love the hyper-speed battles and insanity of this franchise, and in comparison Infinite just looks so sluggish in comparison.

That's just my two cents on it, anyways. I could be being unfair here, and like I said I still plan to play the full game, but my enthusiasm has really died down for this title the more of it that gets revealed.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 12, 2017, 09:33:57 PMUbi had a CG trailer save them
Apparently Beyond Good & Evil 2 is going to be a multiplayer GTA-style sandbox prequel. Keep in mind that the original was a genre-mixing linear single-player action-adventure title that ended on a cliffhanger. :butbut:

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on June 12, 2017, 09:39:06 PM
But Foggle, clearly you are missing the greater picture here of how video games as an art form are really about horribly aping popular movie cliches constructing compelling narratives with interactive button prompts guiding players of any skill level along. I mean, just look at prentious drivel captivating examples like Detroit.
BLARGH

I don't mind lots of story in my games but aping Hollywood films and calling it a day will never not be tiring to me. All the trailers for Detroit so far have made me laugh and Heavy Rain was an excellent The Room-style comedy so I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of that one, at least.

QuoteWhy didn't they just show TLOU2 footage? Even if the gameplay was unfinished, it's not like they were interested in showing off any gameplay to begin with, and I'm sure Naughty Dog could have spared them another thirty seconds of pre-rendered CG footage that probably would have gone over better than what they did show of this new game, which will inevitably only draw comparisons to TLOU to begin with.
I just have no idea who they think cares about Days Gone. I've never seen anyone act at all excited about it. Even the live audience didn't seem to give a shit.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 12, 2017, 09:47:20 PM
They could have at least redeemed themselves by announcing Ratchet & Clank PS4 remasters afterward. :cry: