The 90s Are All That

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 10, 2011, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Big

Just an update. Season 2 DVD will have the unaired pilot. So there's that for bonus, at least.

Kiddington

Great news; just saw that today myself. Here's the link, in case any of you desire "official" confirmation.

...as for Avaitor, he'll just have to settle for a transcript.  :P

QuoteJust found out that the the original Rocko Pilot episode ( with a yellow Rocko) I produced at my studio in Saratoga Ca, was approved by Nick to be included in the Season 2 Rocko's Modern Life DVD. Good news.

Kiddington

Two new releases have been announced; CatDog, Season 1 Part 2, and Hey Arnold, Season 2 Part 1. Both are set arrive in March.

The good news; everything appears to be selling pretty well at this point (even CatDog, apparently), as every show included in the original deal now has at least one more volume on the way. The bad news; Hey Arnold officially joins the "split release" club, meaning that we're stuck with half season releases at a time from here on out. This also pretty much confirms that, if and when they ever do get to Season 3 and beyond, one season alone could ultimately end up being spread across as many as 3-4 separate volumes (the original Create Space set on Amazon was 6 total discs, and a few other later seasons also consisted of at least five discs a piece as well).

It's looking like these Nicktoons releases are going to be pretty cluttered in the long run, but still, I guess it's something. As long as they don't shelve any of these sets, and give us every episode of every season, I really can't complain.

Avaitor

Aww, really? Lame.

I'll still get Arnold regardless, but I don't like having these shows have to fit so much space now. I mean, there's only 21 episodes of season 2, and the first was only $20 with just one episode less. You can't tell me that it's cheaper to cut that up in intervals instead of releasing the whole thing at once.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Oh hey, if you follow the 90's Are All That page on FB, you can enter a contest to win the first sets of Hey Dude, Hey Arnold!, CatDog, and The Wild Thornberrys.

I already own HA! and don't really care for the other 3 shows enough to buy them, but I wouldn't mind owning them for free, and I could give away the Arnold set as a gift. But you guys should hit that up, too.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Foggle

We could hold a forum contest for the HA set if you won. :joy:

Kiddington

Yeah, I seen that earlier today as well. I'm considering it, though it doesn't make much sense from my collecting standpoint, given that I already bought all of these right around the time they were originally released (except for CatDog, but I don't give a damn about CatDog).

I guess I could always re-sell them on Craigslist or something if I did win, as these are becoming pretty hard to find around here (haven't seen Thornberrys or Rocko on store shelves for months). I dunno, we'll see. Really though, I wouldn't have much use for this.

Daxdiv

I just entered the contest for the fun of it. If I win, that saves me money. If not, I'll buy most of the shows anyway.

Kiddington

Welp, I entered as well, just for the hell of it. Even if this prize is, for the most part, completely useless to me, I guess at the very least I can get CatDog without having to actually spend money on it (not that I even want it anyway, but whatever).

If by some miracle I do win, I'll probably either sell them, or just give them to someone. We'll see.

Commode

Have they come out with a Salute Your Shorts DVD yet?  Aside from the Rocko sets, that's the only one I'd care to own, honestly.  I already have Arnold in other ways, and have for a while, so unless they put out the later seasons out I don't even care about those releases.

But yeah, would totally buy a SYS set.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Nope, they haven't.

Basically, the Shout Factory deal consists of the following:

The Wild Thornberrys
Rocko's Modern Life
Hey Arnold
Angry Beavers
Aaahh Real Monsters
CatDog

Doug, Rugrats, SYS, and pretty much anything else in between has not been announced, and probably won't be. As far as I can tell, it looks like this is it.

Avaitor

Don't forget Hey Dude and Danny Phantom (not a 90's show at all, but Shout released it, so it counts).

New blog!

Avaitor

Speaking of Danny Phantom, the next sets for it and Wild Thornberrys have been announced.

No interest in these, but I do think it's shitty that they're cutting the sets up so much. $20 for 10 episodes? Puh-lease.

New blog!

Kiddington

Yeah, I think it's safe to say I'm done with the Thornberrys. I bought Season 1, and was as thoroughly bored and unimpressed with it as I was 10 years ago.

For $20 a season, I may have continued collecting them, but $40? For this? No thanks. I'll bite the bullet for Hey Arnold and Angry Beavers because I like those shows, but that's about as far as I go.

It really is a shame that they're screwing this up so badly. Normally I love Shout Factory, but their handling of the Nicktoons releases has been... well, less than adequate, to say the least. I still place part of the blame on Nick for being a bunch of dicks about special features and what all (creative control, I assume), but Shout themselves aren't really going the extra mile as far as packaging, convenience, or now even value is concerned.

...but, oh well. As I've been saying all along, I guess it's something. As long as they continue to release the shows I care about, I'll still find a way to buy them.

Kiddington

So, I stumbled upon something kinda interesting at Walmart the other night that I figured I'd pass along. Basically, it appears as though Nick just recently re-released three movies on DVD that have been out-of-print for a while now; The Wild Thornberrys Movie, Jimmy Neutron, and Barnyard. The set is a movie 3-pack, very similar to the way they did the Rugrats movie bundle.

Here's the official listing on Amazon, if anyone's interested. Although I will say, the lone customer review is rather concerning, if the product actually is as defective as they say (wouldn't surprise me if it was, though; Nick just doesn't have it when it comes to DVD releases). I'm not really interested in this anyway, though; just though I'd pass it along for anyone else that might be.