What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I still need some time to recoup my thoughts on the Hateful Eight, but I was very happy with it on the whole. Not perfect, but I was engrossed throughout.

I'm not sure where I'd rank it, either from this year or in Tarantino's canon, but it's easily among the stronger films that I've seen from what has been mostly a meh year for film. But I do have a few more films to see. It's going to take a lot of will power for me to tread through Spotlight, though.

Also, I understand that Morricone crypting some of his unused tracks will make for a tricky situation at the Oscars, but I really hope that he gets nominated, and wins, since he really deserves it. And seriously, what was up with Tim Roth's Rowan Atinkson impression?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I didn't like it at all immediately after watching it, but letting the film stew in my mind has allowed my reception to warm a bit. Tarantino definitely needed a tighter editor on this one though.

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't seen this one, but he's needed a tighter editor for years now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 28, 2015, 08:50:37 AM

One could even argue that every single movie that he's ever made could cut out at least 30-minutes of self-indulgent crap and be better for it.

*Ducks for cover from the Tarantino fanboys/girls*

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on December 28, 2015, 09:46:22 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 28, 2015, 08:50:37 AM

One could even argue that every single movie that he's ever made could cut out at least 30-minutes of self-indulgent crap and be better for it.

*Ducks for cover from the Tarantino fanboys/girls*
*kicks you while you're on the ground*  :>
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I won't lie, if there's one problem Django had, it's that he was really missing something with Sally Menke no longer with us. I feel that Hateful Eight's editing was an improvement, as in form, but I do agree that there is a little fat.

And my friend has a pretty unique opinion on the film, from what I've gathered from other people who have seen the film- she loved the first half, but absolutely hated the exposition in the second half, enough for it to ruin the film for her. I do see where she's coming from there, and I prefer the first half's character building, but it's really not that bad. If anything, the film's heavy use of exposition helps to build the film's take on the west's admiration for tall tales. Everybody has a big lie in the movie, and they build on their bullshit in their own way. It just so happens that Jennifer Jason Leigh gets a lot of time to build on her bullshit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I honestly feel the opposite. The first half was pretty slow for me, and a lot of the early conversations weren't that interesting. The second half was actually pretty enjoyable, and moved along at a much faster pace. The exposition bits with Tarantino narrating were a clever nod to the stage reading from which this film originated, and also had a very "Clue-like" vibe to it, and it wasn't overly used. The flash-back was actually necessary to the plot and characters, and helped make sense of the whole situation. I understand really well how annoying too much exposition can be. Trust me, I've even called it out in series and movies that I like. But the stuff in the second half actually felt necessary to the picture as a whole.

Foggle

I couldn't make the showing of Hateful Eight last weekend due to hailstorms, but hopefully I can get some tickets for this weekend to replace them.

This was definitely the best film I saw in 2015.

Avaitor

Early top 10. I'll probably update this around Oscar season, when I'm more caught up.

10. Avengers: Age of Ultron
9. Paddington
8. Love and Mercy
7. Inside Out
6. The Martian
5. Tangerine
4. The Big Short
3. Beasts of No Nation
2. The Hateful Eight
1. Mad Max Fury Road

New blog!

Pharass

I just go back from seeing The Force Awakens. I liked it, I'd say it was the best Star Wars movie since Empire (yes, that may be a case of damning it by faint praise, but it doesn't make it any less true).
Can't think of much to say about the movie to be honest. I went into expecting a couple hours of solid entertainment and that's what I got.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Foggle

Quote from: Pharass on January 02, 2016, 11:37:25 AM
I just go back from seeing The Force Awakens. I liked it, I'd say it was the best Star Wars movie since Empire (yes, that may be a case of damning it by faint praise, but it doesn't make it any less true).
Can't think of much to say about the movie to be honest. I went into expecting a couple hours of solid entertainment and that's what I got.
This is pretty much how I felt as well! A very enjoyable film, but not a life-changing one. Even though I liked it a lot, I don't really have too much to say about it. I hope Episode 8 has more Oscar Isaac, though; I love him in everything I've seen.

Speaking of which, I finally saw Ex Machina, and I thought it was really great! Probably my second favorite film of last year.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thirded on The Force Awakens.

Ex Machina was a good film, but not the kind that I'd revisit. Oscar Isaac was definitely great in it, though.

Speaking of Oscar Isaac, I'm looking forward to seeing him in X-Men this year.

Avaitor

This year's Best Picture nominees:

The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Gah, I wish Hateful Eight could have made it in. But wow, Carol didn't make it in. But yay for Fury Road!!!!

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Cool that a Summer Blockbuster finally scored a nomination. I also believe that this is the second George Miller film to be nominated for Best Picture in his career.

Glad to see The Martian on the list as well.

Avaitor

If I can be so pretentious as to pick my hopefuls from this year's nominees:

Best Picture- Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Director- George Miller
Best Actor- Matt Damon
Best Actress- Brie Larson
Best Supporting Actor- Christian Bale
Best Supporting Actress- Jennifer Jason Leigh
Best Original Screenplay- Inside Out
Best Adapted Screenplay- The Big Short
Best Animated Film- Inside Out (I'm seeing Anomalisa in a week or two, so maybe this will change?)
Pass on foreign language film for now, but I might get to see Son of Saul later
Pass on documentary film and shorts for now, but I'll get to see Look of Silence ASAP, and the shorts before the awards
Best Original Score- The Hateful Eight
Pass on original song, because all I know is Sam Smith's Spectre song, and, uh, no
Best Sound Editing- Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Sound Mixing- The Martian
Best Production Design- Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Cinematography- Either Fury Road or Hateful Eight. Just flip a coin
Best Make-Up and Hair Style- Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Costume Design- Mad Max: Fury Road
Best Film Editing- The Big Short
Best Visual Effects- Mad Max: Fury Road

New blog!