What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstar

Despite the hiccup of featuring teddy bears swinging on vines beating up Storm Troopers, Return of the Jedi was a decent way to wrap up the original Star Wars trilogy.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

talonmalon333

Yeah, the Ewoks were a little silly. But at the very least, their fight was far outweighed by Luke's confrontation with Vader and the Emperor.

The Shadow Gentleman

Now you See Me was pretty good. Not many movies can surprise me like this one did.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't know, maybe I went into that movie with the wrong expectations, but it just had way too many stretches of disbelief for me to really enjoy it. I was going in expecting a clever heist movie like Ocean's Eleven. What I got was certainly a heist movie, but I really wouldn't call it clever. That said, a lot of people outside of the critics seemed to really like this one, including most of my friends, so I suppose it has its appeal. Its just not for me, though.

Nel_Annette

I saw Predators and X-Men Origins: Wolverine on FX today. Thought both were pretty awful.

Avaitor

Really? I didn't think Predators was that bad.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I still haven't seen Predators, but its really a shame to know that the original movie hasn't gotten any worthy sequels. Unlike Alien, Predator to me always felt like it could work really great as a series, whereas Alien seemed like it should have only ever been a stand-alone film and had no real opening for a sequel. Yet Aliens was an amazing sequel, to everyone's surprise, and Predator 2 blew monkey balls. :-\

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was indeed a terrible movie, but its also a guilty pleasure for me.

Avaitor

Just like I did at the end of March, here's a list of all of the movies I've seen in the last 3 months.

Dracula
How Green Was My Valley
Rope
Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story
The Terminator
Gangs of New York
Dead Man
Unfaithfully Yours
Roman Holiday
A King in New York
Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Carousel
Gimme Shelter
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Fort Apache
Dirty Harry
The Last Emperor
Lady and the Tramp
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Platoon
No Country for Old Men
Iron Man 3 (x2)
Taxi Driver
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Redline
Little Shop of Horrors (?86)
Freddy Got Fingered
Carrie
Bambi
Annie Hall
Silver Linings Playbook
Margaret
The Trial
Forbidden Planet
Rome, Open City
3 Women
Holy Motors
Rebel Without a Cause
Dancer in the Dark
Winchester ?73
Night Must Fall
In the Loop
White Heat
Safety Last!
Thor
The War of the Roses
Shane
Bullitt
Twentieth Century
The Natural
Libeled Lady
Mary Poppins
The Lion King
Peter Pan
The Kid Brother
The Master
Walkabout
Cinderella
Batman: SubZero
Stolen Kisses
The Lavender Hill Mob
Switchblade Sisters
Predator
La Haine
The Bad and the Beautiful
Shoot the Piano Player
Imitation of Life (?59)
Night of the Creeps
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Searchers
The Pirate
Christine
Jackie Brown
They Died With Their Boots On
Magnolia
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

So having finished rewatching the original trilogy, my brother and I decided to take the plunge and go back to the prequel trilogy. And tonight we just rewatched The Phantom Menace... Where to begin?

To start, I have to say that it's a little hard for me to fully judge the movie, honestly. It's really not bad. But it's just forgettable. I mean, as of writing this post, I only just got done rewatching the movie 10-15 minutes ago, but the story is already a blur to me. Jar-Jar is incredibly annoying and adds nothing, but enough people have gone on about that so I won't say more. But man, the CGI really does look awful. Just compare puppet Yoda from the originals, to CGI Yoda.

As for the stuff that works, I think most of it are the things that take you back to the original trilogy. Of course, the Emperor is always awesome. R2-D2, C-3PO, and Yoda are also great of course. And I actually like Padme. I like how she takes charge in the action sequences of this movie. It's very much something like her daughter Leia would do. I even like the style of the transition into the credits. They kept it very much like the originals... Also, I actually think the light saber duel with Darth Maul was pretty cool.

At the end of the credits, this image showed up. As soon as we saw it, man, my brother and I just started laughing hysterically. Hopefully you think of the same thing upon seeing it. :P

Spoiler

[close]

Rynnec

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 29, 2013, 12:09:00 AM
So I finally got around to rewatching Return of the Jedi. I think one of the most remarkable things that a movie can do, which Return of the Jedi accomplishes in spades, is give a villain 15 minutes of screentime, and yet give him such a massive presence. Of course, in this case, I'm referring to the Emperor. I've always found him to be a pretty underrated character. He's really one of my favorites in the series. And I think, as a whole, the scenes involving Luke with Vader and the Emperor are the best parts of the entire trilogy, heck some of my favorite movie moments ever.

His leitmotif certainly helps. The Emperor's Theme is miles better than The Imperial March, imo.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on July 01, 2013, 01:28:49 AM
As for the stuff that works, I think most of it are the things that take you back to the original trilogy. Of course, the Emperor is always awesome. R2-D2, C-3PO, and Yoda are also great of course. And I actually like Padme. I like how she takes charge in the action sequences of this movie. It's very much something like her daughter Leia would do. I even like the style of the transition into the credits. They kept it very much like the originals... Also, I actually think the light saber duel with Darth Maul was pretty cool.

The fights are one of the Prequel Trilogy's redeeming qualities.

QuoteAt the end of the credits, this image showed up. As soon as we saw it, man, my brother and I just started laughing hysterically. Hopefully you think of the same thing upon seeing it. :P

Spoiler

[close]

Nothing's showing up. ???

talonmalon333

Commode

Pitch Perfect is a great movie.  It's like Glee if Glee wasn't so stupid.

And I just love Anna Kendrick and Britney Snow.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Really? I think it's nearly as dumb as Glee.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Avaitor on June 29, 2013, 08:35:25 PM
Really? I didn't think Predators was that bad.

Adrian Brody and Generic Female Actress are boring, Laurence Fishburne's only there for a few minutes, and Topher Grace outlives the samurai dude. Topher. Fucking. Grace.

Though I did like samurai vs. Predator. That scene was just awesome in how ridiculous it was.

Spark Of Spirit

And Hudson outlives Drake in Aliens. It's not really out of the ordinary for the snake to live longer than others.

Quote from: Avaitor on July 02, 2013, 10:58:48 AM
Really? I think it's nearly as dumb as Glee.
The jokes are probably worse and that's saying something.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton