What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just re-watched The Conjuring. Still by far the best horror movie that has come out in the past few years, IMO. What it lacks in originality it more than makes up for in its ability to maintain a haunting atmosphere and effectively dial up the tension in just about any given scene.

Quote from: Avaitor on April 12, 2014, 08:36:05 PM
The first is still on Netflix I believe, so it shouldn't be hard to watch.

Actually it's not. I just checked. I know they had it last year because I re-watched it before IM3, but it looks like they took it down.

As for The Winter Soldier, while it would undeniably be better after seeing the first film, I still think you'd enjoy it as a stand-alone film if you like the idea of a good political thriller with superheroes in it. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on April 12, 2014, 07:54:51 PMTo be fair, I loved Serenity the first time I watched it, and I'd never even heard of Firefly before seeing it.

So did I, but I know plenty of people who weren't as enthusiastic about it and who also hadn't seen Firefly before. The movie was awesome enough for me without having seen the show, though, and is in fact what piqued my interest in it. When I watched the show and came back to the movie, I found an already awesome movie to be even better. It just enhanced the experience so much to understand where all of the characters came from.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 12, 2014, 09:01:54 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on April 12, 2014, 08:36:05 PM
The first is still on Netflix I believe, so it shouldn't be hard to watch.

Actually it's not. I just checked. I know they had it last year because I re-watched it before IM3, but it looks like they took it down.
Damn, that sucks.

I guess I should try to save up for the Phase 1 box set a little more than I have been.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The First Avenger is off here, too. I just watched my DVD instead. I also watched The Avengers this weekend and have to admit it works far better if you've seen the phase 1 movies since, well, it really is the culmination of them all. That said, it's still a fun action movie at the very least.

But, I still think the Cap movies are the best.  :)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Since they added Copland to Netflix, I decided to watch it again for the first time in ages.

Still holds up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I should give it a re-watch as well when I have the time. I think that Stallone has done some really good films outside of just Rocky and First Blood, despite how much he gets ragged on for his admittedly hokey acting. Cop Land is one of those films.

Kiddington

Anastasia (1997)

$2 at Walmart..........and that's a shame, this deserves a better fate. But anyway, I like it a lot more than I used to. I think as a kid I got kinda bored with it, but watching it now it's a pretty interesting movie. I mean c'mon, who doesn't love Bartok?

Commode

I haven't even seen that since I was a kid.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

LumRanmaYasha

I watched Carrie (1976) lately in story class, and boy, was that depressing. Naturally, I loved it.

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on April 19, 2014, 03:57:28 AM
I haven't even seen that since I was a kid.

It's a decent movie. It does seem to try overly hard to mimic Disney, but I wouldn't say that necessarily works against it. As far as musicals go, you could certainly do worse.

LumRanmaYasha

I've got a lot of nostalgia for Cyber Chase, because I watched it so much as a kid. I liked it as much as Zombie Island, honestly. Don't know how I'd feel about it if I watched it now.

gunswordfist

I doubt you would Zombie Island is Scooby-Doo perfection personified.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

I'd argue Mystery Incorporated is the single best thing to come out of the Scooby Doo franchise to date, actually. Zombie Island is still the second best thing, of course.

gunswordfist

I just couldn't get into MI. I still wish it was like Zombie Island and had real monsters (assuming they didn't move onto to actually doing that, even then, I don't care enough for the show's version of the gang to go back.)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I'm going to flip a coin to see whether I should give MI or Adventure Time more of a chance while they'e still on Netflix. I'll watch them on a day or so basis, one or two eps at a time, but while I can, why not try them again, y'no?

I saw Zombie Island again a few years ago ,and I think it holds up fine. It's no masterpiece, but pretty much everything I liked about it as a kid (actual scary villains, hints of atmosphere, slightly fresher humor) are still there.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/