What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I watched The Last of the Unjust last night, Claude Lanzmann's latest. It's a tough film to watch, but also maybe a good primer for Shoah. I'm not sure if I'm ready to invest in the 9 1/2 hours just yet, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Quote from: Homura Akemi on May 16, 2015, 12:08:59 PM
I'd recommend Mad Max: Fury Road because IT WAS FUCKING GREAT AND WORTH YOUR MONEY
;D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Insomniac

I heard Nicholas Hoult couldn't come back to Skins a few years ago because he was filming Mad Max. Very good trade, I'd say.

Lord Il

Saw the latest Mad Max today. Not extremely high on story but was almost non-stop action. It was like riding down the steepest slope of a roller coaster at top speed and hardly ever slowing down. The villains were just as terrifying as the vehicles they drove.

And I found out a great tidbit of info today. Remember Toecutter from the first movie? He was the only one of the original cast to come back for this newest movie as a brand new villian: Immortan Joe. He was a hell of a scary bastard. But... I guess he kinda was in the original, too. Just on a different scale.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just re-watched the original X-Men for the first time in a decade. Whereas a lot of early 2000's comic book movies suffer at least a little but from being products of their time, Bryan Singer's X-Men holds up remarkably well, IMO. It helps that it's more of a character-driven drama which isn't overly-reliant on dated CG, rather than a straight-up action movie.

I'll be revisiting X2 and The Last Stand soon enough, as well. I haven't seen the latter since it was in theaters, so it'll be interesting to see if I still dislike it as much without the hype of the first two movies to raise my expectations, since I already know that this film was a step down.

Spark Of Spirit

X-Men was the film that really kickstarted the whole superhero thing. It was amazing stepping into the same theater to see DOFP 14 years later on the same screen. Of course it's been bettered, but it's still a pretty good film to watch now.

It will be a shame when the Singer universe ends. It's been quite a ride.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I meant to bring up how David Hayter wrote the screenplay for that movie. The dialogue and jokes mostly still hold up as well, especially the excellent exchanges between Charles and Eric.

The only cringe-worthy line that I recall was that line that Storm said to Toad. That bit was just stupid.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just re-watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Yep, 2014 definitely was the best year for superhero movies.  It's easy to forget about TASM2 when quite literally three of the greatest films of the entire genre came out mere months apart from each other.

Peter Quill is also my second favorite MCU character, followed by Rocket at third.

Spark Of Spirit

It really was a pleasant surprise of a movie. It isn't that surprising that the sequel got pushed up to phase 3 due to the fan reaction.

As for top characters in the MCU? I think I'll put that in the other thread.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I watched episode 42 and 43 of JoJo today. The Big Damn Heroes..averted. :'(

Avaitor

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 19, 2015, 11:31:03 PM
I watched episode 42 and 43 of JoJo today. The Big Damn Heroes..averted. :'(
I think you're in the wrong thread lol
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

smh. I deleted my computer's history and before that, it used to take me to the right thread just by typing in watch. I'm still adjusting.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I recently re-watched the original theatrical versions of TFOTR and TTT. Unfortunately I left my copy of TROTK back at home somewhere, and thus can't complete my re-watch of the trilogy, which is a real bummer.

Anyways, both movies still hold up, but I will never understand why TTT is considered the weakest of the trilogy. Personally, I think that it's more entertaining than the first movie, which I still really liked, but it could seriously drag at times.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2015, 07:35:22 PM
Anyways, both movies still hold up, but I will never understand why TTT us considered the weakest of the trilogy.
It is? Most people I know seem to think it's the best one.