What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've heard most people claim that TFOTR is the best one.

Personally, I'm one of the few people who feels that each film is better than the previous one, so TROTK is, and has always been, my favorite film in the trilogy.

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2015, 08:14:24 PM
Whoa, that's surprising!

My favorite is TTT, but I think you can make the case for any of them.

Spark Of Spirit

Return of the King is the best one. I'm not sure I've ever met anyone other than Foggle who thought Two Towers was the best.

The reason I enjoy Fellowship so much is because it is the most like the Hobbit. It has the most old school adventure style to it while the last two have a very different focus. That said, it doesn't really matter. It's really one long story after all.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 21, 2015, 08:19:01 PM
I'm not sure I've ever met anyone other than Foggle who thought Two Towers was the best.
Pretty much everyone I know IRL does. :o

Spark Of Spirit

Most I know like Return of the King the best in real life. Online it seems to be a tossup between that and Fellowship.

But it doesn't really matter. No one should be watching one without the others.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Battle of Helm's Deep is definitely my favorite large-scale battle scene in any movie. That's probably why I'm one of the few GOT fans who liked The Watchers on the Wall better than Blackwater, since that whole episode felt like one big homage to Helm's Deep.

The battles in TROTK were of course excellent and even grander in scale, but I'm always the most invested in fights where the protagonists are in a desperate and seemingly hopeless situation.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

They are all A+ movies to me, anyways, so it's a moot point, but everyone that I know IRL also likes TROTK the best. That one had the most emotional weight to it, IMO, which is why it's my personal favorite.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2015, 08:14:24 PM

Personally, I'm one of the few people who feels that each film is better tan the previous one, so TROTK is, and has always been, my favorite film in the trilogy.

I just assumed everyone thought this. It's been awhile since I've seen the films and I've only watched each once in their entirety, I believe.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

I think the reason why The Two Towers is frequently seen as the worst is because it is the middle point. So, it doesn't have much of both a beginning and an ending when compared to the other two.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just re-watched X2: X-Men United. Aside from still being one of the best comic book movies of all time, I noticed two things that I never really noticed before:

-Having now read the Dark Phoenix Saga, this film really foreshadowed it and built it up a lot in ways that I was oblivious to before becoming familiar with that story-line.

-This movie REALLY wants me to read The Once And Future King, clearly, so I should probably get on that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I couldn't help myself today. I really wanted to complete my re-watch of TLOTR trilogy, and went to buy a copy of TROTK,  but I couldn't find it individually and instead came across a generic pack with the whole trilogy for $10, so I just bought it and will finish re-watching the final movie tonight.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I re-watched TROTK last night. Yep, still the best in the trilogy, IMO. This has inspired me to get back into Tolkien-lore when I get the chance.

That said, one criticism that I have come to agree with about these movies is that they are better experiences than they are stories. The book(s) are filled with so much detail and history that even in the extended cuts of the film it's impossible to explain it all, and thus anyone who hadn't read the books would have no idea what was really going on in the plot and which character was which. In fact, while I still stand by my opinion of calling this a better trilogy than Star Wars (and I love Star Wars), those movies were still a hundred times more coherent at getting their story and characters across, though of course had the advantage of being written specifically for film and being kept simple, as opposed to being adapted from incredibly dense source material.

However, these movies still managed to captivate many people because Peter Jackson and the excellent cast did a great job of conveying the feelings and emotions of the characters on screen, which gave the audience something to connect to. And that's certainly nothing to be taken lightly. Also, there was never a film with even close to the level of scale as these films before they had come out, and arguably few to none can even match them now, so that certainly contributed to its appeal as well.

Spark Of Spirit

I saw Fury Road this weekend.

It was such a '70s action film brought to a modern production that it took me be surprise. That said, I'm glad they both made it so old school and new at the same time. Within the first few minutes they referenced the original and the Road Warrior, and Tom Hardy did a great job as Max making it feel like a real sequel like it was meant to be. The strangest thing were that a lot of the complaints weren't true. Max is not captive for 40% of the movie (more like ten minutes), the film is not one scene long, there is no "men bad, women good" theme aside from the fact that the point of the general plot was not to treat people as objects, and as violent as it was it wasn't very gory at all. I always find it strange when complaints about movies turn out to not be true, but then I wonder if people actually watched the movie at all in this case. The lack of CG and use of practical effects should hopefully set a standard for future movies in the genre. It deserves the positive reaction.

Hopefully they are able to make the sequel they had planned out now.

Avaitor

The elderly women did their own stunts.

Holy shit, that was great.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I re-watched The Dark Knight Rises, recently. I still think that the haters are a bit too harsh for singling out this movie as the weak link in the trilogy when the first two movies had similar flaws. I also found the general Nolan-isms in the dialogue to be greatly toned-down from The Dark Knight (but they are still definitely there, and very noticeable), but that movie remains to be the better overall film.

That said, I still hold my opinion that this is a better and more entertaining movie than Batman Begins, and also works much better when viewed as a sequel to that movie, specifically, rather than as a conclusion to the entire trilogy.