The Boondocks

Started by Avaitor, December 30, 2010, 03:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Whenever I see people argue whether South Park or Family Guy is better, I start to think that they're wasting their time by not watching this.

Boondocks does whatever both shows try to do much better than either of them can and is fucking excellent. Discuss.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

SSJ Jake

The Boondocks is a great show, but what prevents me from calling it better than Family Guy is the time it takes to make a season. I know CN is shit poor and apparently can't afford to have a season of the Boondocks within a year, but it's really annoying to have to wait for two years to see new episodes, especially when topics to talk about are happening right now. I would have loved to see commentary about Michael Jackson's death, but if it were made next season it would feel incredibly dated. Nevertheless it's a great show if not the best programming on AS.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on December 30, 2010, 03:14:01 PM
Whenever I see people argue whether South Park or Family Guy is better, I start to think that they're wasting their time by not watching this.

Boondocks does whatever both shows try to do much better than either of them can and is fucking excellent. Discuss.

I've seen The Boondocks, and I'm going to have to respectfully say no (in regards to really being any better than South Park). I think you just don't get the appeal of South Park.

But, for what its worth I like The Boondocks about as much, but for somewhat different reasons.

Family Guy is trash, though. Don't ever compare to to SP.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2010, 09:12:10 PM
Family Guy is trash, though. Don't ever compare to to SP.
You do it all the time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 30, 2010, 09:12:10 PM
I think you just don't get the appeal of South Park.
What's the appeal of South Park then?  What makes it so unbe-fucking-leavably great that we can't possibly understand the appeal of South Park?

I mean, I used to love it too, but seriously, ever since around season nine the show has gone to absolute shit, and I can't even watch new episodes of the show anymore, Trey and Matt's smarmy-ness and their goddamned obsession of following and making fun of celebrities like a cartoon version of TMZ gets really annoying really fast.

It took me a while to realize it, but now that I do I agree quite a bit with DarthGonzo about how much South Park sucks these days.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

I've only seen a couple episodes of The Boondocks. It's pretty funny. The comic strip it's based off of is fucking rancid, though. Anyone got any episode recommendations for me?

Btw, South Park is way better than Family Guy simply because the jokes actually correlate to the characters and the plot of the episode. Nearly every joke in FG or The Cleveland Show has absolutely nothing to do with the episode at hand. American Dad is a lot better about that kind of thing, though. Seems like Seth actually tries every once and a while with that one.

SSJ Jake

Quote from: Foggle on December 30, 2010, 10:10:36 PM
Btw, South Park is way better than Family Guy simply because the jokes actually correlate to the characters and the plot of the episode. Nearly every joke in FG or The Cleveland Show has absolutely nothing to do with the episode at hand.

So in other words your parroting exactly what Cartman said in Cartoon Wars. Not a good argument.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: SNES Chalmers on December 30, 2010, 09:39:02 PM
What's the appeal of South Park then?  What makes it so unbe-fucking-leavably great that we can't possibly understand the appeal of South Park?

First of all, chill the fuck out. I never aimed that post at you in the first place, so what's problem?

QuoteI mean, I used to love it too, but seriously, ever since around season nine the show has gone to absolute shit, and I can't even watch new episodes of the show anymore, Trey and Matt's smarmy-ness and their goddamned obsession of following and making fun of celebrities like a cartoon version of TMZ gets really annoying really fast.

First off that's your opinion. Personally, I think you're probably being too smarmy for your own good and looking too much into the show. Its not complete shit. It has shitty episodes every now and then (so do a lot of shows) but it still has funny episodes. Honestly, what exactly is it that's so different about the show that makes it shit now? Its still the same as its always been, for the most part. Not every episode makes fun of celbrities, and the ones that do aren't even poorly written.

QuoteIt took me a while to realize it, but now that I do I agree quite a bit with DarthGonzo about how much South Park sucks these days.

Once again, your opinion, but first off, I wasn't insulting anyone by saying that I don't think Avaitor completely gets the appeal of South Park. I said that because I don't really think it should be compared to Family Guy, as its humor is completely different, and for that matter its not even the same type of humor as The Boondocks.

If you want to act like a a super-intelligent superior know-it-all and overanalyze a show that's not even trying to be as analytical on celbrities or modern society as you make it out to be, then be my guest. Elighten me. Break it down for me since I'm clearly such an idiot for not analyzing the fuck out of South Park and saying that its complete shit. Forgive me for finding its appeal to be simpe fun humor mixed in with occasional celebrity or modern society comentary. Its really not as heavy on that stuff as you claim it is (IMO), but maybe I'm not so hell-bent on trying to notice those things.

Sorry if you think it sucks, and if that's your feeling on the show then fine, but there's no reason to be an ass-hole and try to act so condescending. Here's something that you should keep in mind, though, its fine to hate a show like South Park for the reasons that you mentioned (if you take time to consider, I personally like it for reasons that you probably hate it for, but I assume that you must feel that your opinion is the only right one, based on your post), but it doesn't do you much good to act like such a child about it.

As for Darth Gonzo, I never actually minded that he hates the new seasons of Sout hPark, despite the fact that its basically the same as it ever really was (so in that case why not just hate the show in general?), but you know what it is that pisses people off about him, which is what you're kind of doing now:  Its that he never shuts up about it, insists on his opinion being fact or truth, and really annoys fans of the show just for simply having fun with it.

Seriously, if you want me to respond with some sort of defense of the show, I'd be happy to do so, but from what I can tell, you're just content with trying to make me look like an idiot for liking it. If that's all the point of your post was, then good for you, because I have no intentions of lowering myself to that level just to argue with you just because I find South Park to be a fun show to watch (most of the time, anyways), rather than something that people think of as a show that's "obsessed" with celebrities or whatever. And even if it is, I at least find it to still be consistently funny. Apparently that makes me an idiot who likes a sucky show, as well. If that's the case, then so be it.

Good day to you, sir.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Foggle

Quote from: SSJ Jake on December 30, 2010, 10:13:34 PM
Btw, South Park is way better than Family Guy simply because the jokes actually correlate to the characters and the plot of the episode.

So in other words your parroting exactly what Cartman said in Cartoon Wars. Not a good argument.
Dawg, watch any given five episodes of Family Guy. Then watch any given five episodes of South Park (or Futurama or The Boondocks or The Simpsons or King Of The Hill or American Dad). Compare the two. It's not parroting if I know from my own personal viewing experience that it's true. Family Guy is basically a drawn version of Robot Chicken these days.

SSJ Jake

I know that, but how does that make South Park better? You're saying South Park is a better show because FG's jokes have nothing to do with the plot. Anyone who watches FG knows that. I've known that before SP even pointed it out. However I don't see how it makes SP the superior show just because the jokes correlate with the plot of the episode.

Avaitor

I've only seen a couple episodes of The Boondocks. It's pretty funny. The comic strip it's based off of is fucking rancid, though. Anyone got any episode recommendations for me?
I feel bad for bringing up South Park and Family Guy in the same sentence again so I'm going to avoid talking about the two for now, but I'll reply to you.

Some key episodes from season 1 include

"Guess Hoe's Coming to Dinner"- A Pimp Named Slickback. Say no more.
"A Date With a Health Inspector"- Classic Tom, plus the introduction of Gin Rummy, played by none other than Sam Jackson. There's even some epic Pulp Fiction references in there.
"Return of the King"- How many other shows can get MLK to come out and say that BET is the worst thing he's ever seen?
"Let's Nab Oprah"- More Ed and Rummy comedy gold, plus some great Enter the Dragon callbacks.
"The Passion of Ruckus"- I went into great detail on the old board about this one, but let me just say that it's class.

I'll come back to seasons 2 and 3 later.

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: SSJ Jake on December 30, 2010, 10:22:38 PM
I know that, but how does that make South Park better? You're saying South Park is a better show because FG's jokes have nothing to do with the plot. Anyone who watches FG knows that. I've knew that before SP even pointed it out. However I don't see how it makes SP the superior show just because the jokes correlate with the plot of the episode.
I think that makes it better in regards to the quality of writing, which is what I thought this thread was focusing on in regards to The Boondocks being better than both other shows. The art and animation are far better in Family Guy than South Park, of course. The voice cast is more diverse, as well. Whether it's actually funnier or less funny is attributed to personal opinion. However, I think that a show about a certain set of characters is better written if the writing actually has to do with those characters, but that's just me. The first few seasons of Family Guy also fall into the category of what I consider "good" or at least "decent writing," because the jokes were actually about the characters, if that makes sense.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. :-\

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, sorry for it becoming such a big deal. I didn't expect it'd turn out a whole post bashing the show just because I mentioned that I like Boondocks about as much as it, but that I don't really think its better than SP. Perhaps I'm just the naive idiot here?

Anyways, I won't bother wasting my time discussing it over here, anymore.

Anyways, I enjoy The Boondocks for its clever humor, and also its characters. There are some characters that will never grow on me, such as Riley, but the best of its characters are always entertaining, and the writing is solid to the point that this is the kind of show that has intelligent humor as well as plots that one could actually sort of analyze, but I simply enjoy it because it manages to skillfully incorporate good humor with good plots.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on December 30, 2010, 10:23:34 PM
I feel bad for bringing up South Park and Family Guy in the same sentence again so I'm going to avoid talking about the two for now, but I'll reply to you.

Some key episodes from season 1 include

"Guess Hoe's Coming to Dinner"- A Pimp Named Slickback. Say no more.
"A Date With a Health Inspector"- Classic Tom, plus the introduction of Gin Rummy, played by none other than Sam Jackson. There's even some epic Pulp Fiction references in there.
"Return of the King"- How many other shows can get MLK to come out and say that BET is the worst thing he's ever seen?
"Let's Nab Oprah"- More Ed and Rummy comedy gold, plus some great Enter the Dragon callbacks.
"The Passion of Ruckus"- I went into great detail on the old board about this one, but let me just say that it's class.

I'll come back to seasons 2 and 3 later.
Thanks for the suggestions! The first one you listed is one of the few episodes I've seen! ;D