What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Ugh. The only scene where she isn't angry or remorseful is her time with Rue which is cut short before Katniss actually does anything with her.

This is like those people who thought the Bride in Kill Bill was a step forward for female characters because she was tough. No, she was boring and one note.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

From what I can tell, the praise comes from her being a "strong" Action Girl in a leading role, has her own motivations, and generally being better than Bella Swan.

Which isn't really saying all that much tbh. Being a badass female character who has her own goals and motivations is nice and all, but the thing is, the character still needs the charisma and personality to carry the story. Far too many people forget that.

Foggle

Just saw this quote in someone's imdb signature: "I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun."

Absolutely groan-worthy. Do people seriously consider that to be good dialogue?

Lord Dalek

Peeta is the fucking Mary Sue, not Katniss.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on March 24, 2012, 03:48:12 PM
Peeta is the fucking Mary Sue, not Katniss.
He becomes one, yes. I would really liked to have seen what the heck he was doing with Cato's group instead of seeing Katniss dodge treesplosions. It would have been a heck of a lot more interesting, for sure.

There's really no compelling reason that we had to be glued to her POV the whole time when so much else was going on we didn't get to see.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Eh, at least Katniss isn't as much of a cunt as Hermione or a useless plot device like Ginny.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not denying that. I just found her flat.

Avaitor

Oh, she definitely is, I won't deny that either. I still think that Katniss is more interesting than just about any of the contestants, since we actually get an idea of how she thinks and reacts,  but there isn't much to her at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Watching Fear and Loathing. Johnny Depp was born to play Hunter S. Thompson. Him at his absolute finest.

New blog!

Angus

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax was entertaining for the little pups.

Tried to grind through The Ghost Writer, it's done by Roman Polanski, so everything's quiet and investigative slow like in The Ninth Gate. How Kim Cattrall got top billing when she didn't play the main woman boggles me.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

I just saw Midnight In Paris. A pretty cute little movie.

I did feel more than a bit sorry for the detective at the end, though.  :sweat:

Commode

21 Jump Street was fucking awesome.  Go see it if you haven't.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

How funny that you mentioned that. I literally just got back from seeing the movie with a few friends after having just completed the toughest Therapeutics exam of the semester, and seeing that movie pretty much took off all of the stress that I had built up while preparing for that exam. I laughed a lot more than I expected and I pretty much have to 2nd your opinion. Its easily one of the better comedies that I've seen so far this year. It gets a definite recommendation from me.

Commode

The one girl was bugging me throughout the whole movie, because I knew I recognized her from something.  It didn't hit me until the very last scene she was in, she was Envy Adams.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

His Girl Friday

One of the fastest screwball comedies out here, with dozens of jokes per minute... and not one of them funny. Yet it's one of the most revered comedies of all time. Go figure.

New blog!