What Movie Did You Just Watch

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2015, 03:44:35 PM
Yep, that's the exact video I was thinking of. Every single comparison falls completely flat for the comic whenever the movie version is shown. Either Millar suddenly became worse than Ennis, Miller, and Moore, at their worst, or he really didn't put any thought into the comic when he wrote it. Considering he had a movie deal before it was even written, there's a high chance of the latter.
:srs:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 20, 2015, 04:05:58 PM
Yep, that's the exact video I was thinking of. Every single comparison falls completely flat for the comic whenever the movie version is shown. Either Millar suddenly became worse than Ennis, Miller, and Moore, at their worst, or he really didn't put any thought into the comic when he wrote it. Considering he had a movie deal before it was even written, there's a high chance of the latter.
"At their worst."

They've written some rancid garbage.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 20, 2015, 04:05:58 PM
Please read Crossed, Holy Terror, and Neonomicon. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I re-watched some movies lately.

The Wolf of Wall Street- This isn't nearly Scorsese's best work, but it's still a really well-made film that's high on the entertainment value level, and one of the better films of 2013, which IMO was a rather lackluster year for movies, outside of a few gems like The World's End and Snowpiercer.

Spider-Man Trilogy- The Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies still hold up, IMO. I still feel the same about them as I did when I was younger. The first one is one of the best early Marvel movies, the second is good but way too over-praised by critics, and the third is flawed but way too over-bashed by critics (it's honestly a pretty decent film if you can ignore how much Venom was butchered).

X-Men: First Class- It's really great stuff, and the friendship and eventual falling out between Professor X and Magneto is what makes it, IMO. It's just a step below X2 and DOFP, in my book.

Jaws- This is one of those films that holds the amazing distinction of being a cinematic masterpiece, AND just being really fucking fun to watch. They don't make monster movies this good, anymore. The acting is great, the music is iconic, and come on, let's all just admit that we love seeing people getting mauled and/or eaten by wild animals, whether it's realistic or not. This is among those few movies that I can watch countless times and never get bored of.

The Shadow Gentleman

I finished A Star is Born this morning. Great movie, especially with Garland and Mason's performances. The award ceremony scene was really powerful.

Avaitor

Tonight's a night where I wanted to do more than just study and watch TV, so I switched things up by watching a couple of movies that I haven't seen for a while instead.

One was Seven, which I truthfully wasn't a big fan of the first time that I saw it. I guess that I didn't get or care for the plot, but I really dig it now. It's a very tightly made thriller, one where just about every element works, especially the excellent chemistry between Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman. And that ending is still out of this world. I actually bought it a while ago in hopes that I'd warm up to it, and thankfully I have.

And I'm finishing up Jaws now. I really wanted to go to TCM/Fathom Event's special rerelease for it, but I couldn't make either of those dates. I also wanted to catch their Double Indemnity screenings from a few days ago, but that also wasn't going to work for me. They're doing a few more screenings in the next few months, so I might try for some of those. I'm not really interested in their upcoming Grease sing-a-long, though.

But I own Jaws too, so it wasn't that big of a loss. It's as great as ever, though, as thrilling as it is fun. But it's the quiet moments that really bring the film to life, since the casting and writing is just as strong as Spielberg's sense of tension. There's a reason that this film hasn't left the public conscience 40 years later.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ha! It looks like we both had similar timing on re-watching Jaws. I also really wanted to go to that TCM screening, but neither Sundays nor Wednesdays work for me on just about any given week.

Avaitor

Really though, their upcoming slate looks pretty great.

August- Grease
September- Psycho
October- Dracula double feature- the 1931 take along with its Spanish version
November- Roman Holiday
December- Miracle on 34th Street

Again, not really interested in Grease (I don't hate or even dislike the movie, but I don't have a desire to go), but all of these look really tight.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I picked up a basic, cheap edition of the Lethal Weapon film collection on DVD for $10 (no special features or anything, just the movies), and I also got X-Men: DOFP and Archer Season 3 for cheap as well. Not bad shopping, at all.

Anyways, DOFP is still as great as ever. As for Lethal Weapon, I'll be making my way through all four movies eventually, but I'll start with just the first one tonight.

Spark Of Spirit

It's the one that includes the director's cuts, right? The added LW1 scenes are brilliant. Never understood why they were ever taken out.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It says that it is on the case, so yeah. :thumbup:

Spark Of Spirit

Cool, then you have the same edition I do.

Now you get to watch a handful of great action movies. Enjoy!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

This is, IMO, the second best MI film to date. It's a lot of fun, and really stands out from the "dark, gritty" nature of most modern spy films, though it's not nearly as over the top as Kingsman. I was particularly impressed with the action scenes in this movie. Not only did it rely on practical effects over CG, but Tom Cruise did all of his own stunts, and both the underwater infiltration and motorcycle chase scenes are among the most impressive technical pieces of cinema that I've seen all year (though, I still have yet to see Mad Max Fury Road, to be fair).

Having said that, Ghost Protocol still remains to be my favorite MI movie, followed by this one, and then the first movie. While I like John Woo a lot, MI2 is probably one of his weakest films, and easily the weakest MI film outside of a few cool action scenes. MI3 is an OK movie, but the villain is really the only above average aspect of the movie, IMO.

Avaitor

y'no, there are 2 big modern franchises that I haven't seen any films of- M:I and Furious. I have the first Fast and the Furious in my queue, and I should really get to the Impossible movies as well.

New blog!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody