Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Animation

Started by Avaitor, November 09, 2011, 08:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shadow Gentleman

Which arguments? I can kinda see where people are coming from when they say "everyone's a jerk".

Eddy

I know some people hated the episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy where the Eds were accused of a crime (I think it was piercing Jimmy's heart float with a hockey stick that was labeled "Eddy") but it was actually Jimmy who did it and he got away with it and the Eds were punished for something they never did (and then dragged off by the Kankers).

Kiddington

I know a lot of people also hate the "cursed phone" episode because Eddy is so viciously tortured throughout (even though he really does nothing wrong, other than not listening to Rolf), and the plot itself is even more off the wall than usual. I liked it, though.  :??:

I dunno. To be honest, the only episodes of the show I don't really like at this point tends to be the stuff from Season 1, because quite frankly it just feels too slow and dated in comparison to the rest of the series. Season 2 was when things began to warm up, but Seasons 3+ is when it really hit its peak. Nary a dud to be found by that point.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Eddy on February 11, 2013, 12:13:28 PM
I know some people hated the episode of Ed, Edd n Eddy where the Eds were accused of a crime (I think it was piercing Jimmy's heart float with a hockey stick that was labeled "Eddy") but it was actually Jimmy who did it and he got away with it and the Eds were punished for something they never did (and then dragged off by the Kankers).
I've always hated the premise for that episode, but I still found it funny, so I can't say I hate episode in and of itself.

Quote from: Kiddington on February 11, 2013, 12:32:07 PM
I dunno. To be honest, the only episodes of the show I don't really like at this point tends to be the stuff from Season 1, because quite frankly it just feels too slow and dated in comparison to the rest of the series. Season 2 was when things began to warm up, but Seasons 3+ is when it really hit its peak. Nary a dud to be found by that point.
Yeah, Season 1 feels odd compared to the rest of the series. Not bad, just not as good. Most of my favorites are from 3 and 4.

Avaitor

I made a stupid post, so I deleted it in case I hurt anyone's feelings. If you still want to talk about the show though, go for it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

I'm just curious what arguments you were referring to. I'm pretty sure I don't agree with them.

Avaitor

Oh, well when people say the show is really cruel and heartless, that the characters aren't relatable, that it's repetitive, it's poorly animated, stuff like that.

If you don't find the show funny, that's your prerogative. But it does feel like the people who vehemently hate this show (and there are a lot of people who do) don't really get the show at all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

The Shadow Gentleman

Urg, I hate when people say all that stuff.

Wait, "poorly animated"? I'm no expert on animation quality, but I'm pretty sure that's not a legitimate complaint

Foggle

The animation in the movie is bloody excellent.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The people who call this show poorly animated clearly don't know what the definition of "animation" is. I could understand people not caring for the art-style of this series, but that's a different matter entirely. If anything, this series is undisputed as having the best animation of any of the Cartoon Cartoons by default (admittedly, most of the other ones have pretty lazy animation, so that might not be much of a comparison in and of itself). The great thing about this series is that the animation always feels fluid and consistent. Its established really well that the laws of physics hardly apply in the "Universe" that the Ed(d)s' live in, and the animations constantly go wild with whatever bizarre kind of things they can come up with for the characters to do. If anything, this series is full of animation (one of the few cartoon shows that I know of that takes FULL advantage of the medium), so I just can't see how anyone could try and come up with the complaint that the animation sucks. Its just flat-out not true.

And for the record, I'm saying this as someone who isn't a die-hard fan. I like what I've seen of the show, and I actually need to see a lot more of it as I still haven't delved that much into the later seasons (and I need to see the movie, eventually), but even I can see how good the animation quality of this series is.

Kiddington

EEnE is one of the finest animated shows on TV. Period. The amount of quality and care that went into it is nearly unmatched. I mean, hell, the first four seasons were entirely hand-drawn and hand-colored; you just don't see that kind of effort in this day and age where Flash rules the roost.

I can understand the humor not being for everyone, but for someone to actually claim this show has poor animation? I just don't see it.

Daxdiv

I always assumed the poorly animated part people bring up with EEnE was their squiggly outlines. I always assumed as a kid that was an artist decision or something. It was distracting at first, but I got over it.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 11, 2013, 04:23:55 PM
Its established really well that the laws of physics hardly apply in the "Universe" that the Ed(d)s' live in,
Actually, the laws of physics never existed to begin with.  :D

And you guys are write, EEnE has some bloody amazing animation. Just another reason to love it.

talonmalon333

I can vouch for this, too. I wasn't too fond of EEnE, but it was animated very well.

Avaitor

I mean, there's leeway and fair points for every other argument I posted earlier (although I've been growing weary of people attesting that a show is repetitive, since television is formulaic by nature), but the people who say that the show isn't well-drawn or animated are bold-face liars.

New blog!