The Death (& Return?) Of Capcom

Started by Rynnec, July 18, 2011, 08:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

Looks like Capcom plans on "re-evaluating" their practices of DLC. Though for some games (like Dragon's Dogma) they claim it is "too late". They pretty much straight up admit Dragon's Dogma has on-disc DLC that was planned from the start.

See, if Capcom REALLY means this, they'd offer all the disc locked content on the games that are already out for free.

gunswordfist

Amen. The fans will have to do something drastic to make them listen. I'd say boycott RE6 but that would make the series disappear forever. :lol:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on May 15, 2012, 01:45:22 AM
See, if Capcom REALLY means this, they'd offer all the disc locked content on the games that are already out for free.
Maybe they will. I mean, I doubt it, but anything can happen.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

gunswordfist

-Sequels
-Sequels
-DLC

That's all I heard.

Eddy

Capcom thinks Street Fighter x Tekken didn't perform that well because of "cannibalism" in the market with too many games in the same genre being released at that time.

Sorry, what?

Spark Of Spirit

3DS release of a Wii game that sold over 500,000 copies apparently has "no audience".

Monster Hunter Tri sold over 500,000 copies and a big potential audience. Capcom are horrible at business.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Monster Hunter sold best on the PSP and despite what Takao says, it has nothing to do with brand loyalty. Monster Hunter is a multiplayer game, the kind with a personalized character for each player and one that benefits the most from handheld strengths. The 3DS entry is a match made in heaven for western MH fans and any newcomers, and they just decided to throw that away because the home version didn't have the same charm as the handheld one.

What the fuck.

Foggle

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on May 28, 2012, 03:52:46 AM
Monster Hunter sold best on the PSP and despite what Takao says, it has nothing to do with brand loyalty. Monster Hunter is a multiplayer game, the kind with a personalized character for each player and one that benefits the most from handheld strengths. The 3DS entry is a match made in heaven for western MH fans and any newcomers, and they just decided to throw that away because the home version didn't have the same charm as the handheld one.

What the fuck.
Yeah, I hate Monster Hunter, but I can see why people like it, and Capcom is so goddamn stupid when it comes to localizing that series. It has an incredible following of loyal customers who are even willing to import the games when possible (very similar to the Yakuza fanbase, in fact), but Capcom just doesn't give a shit. It's not like they're hard games to translate, either. Capcom are literally losing money by not releasing new MH games outside of Japan.

Spark Of Spirit

This doesn't bode well for Monster Hunter 4 and the future of the series, since handheld is where it's going. Capcom is not doing any favors leaving the audience to whiter away.

Add the rumor that they might release AAI2 here as an IOS (?!) title instead of a 3DS or eshop title and you really have to wonder what is wrong with this company.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Eddy on May 26, 2012, 08:42:36 PM
Capcom thinks Street Fighter x Tekken didn't perform that well because of "cannibalism" in the market with too many games in the same genre being released at that time.

Sorry, what?
:lol: I'd like to see all these fighting games Capcom is talking. No, seriously. :wth:

Rynnec

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 04, 2012, 06:30:31 PM
Quote from: Eddy on May 26, 2012, 08:42:36 PM

Sorry, what?
:lol: I'd like to see all these fighting games Capcom is talking. No, seriously. :wth:

Blazblue
Mortal Kombat
King of Fighters
Melty Blood (JPN only)
Arcana Heart
Some Umineko fighter (JPN only)
Several Doujin games (JPN only)
Soul Calibur
Dead or Alive

Okay, that's a lot, but SF and Tekken have more mainstream recognition than most of these games.

gunswordfist

How many of those are new?

Rynnec

Blazblue's most recent game was earlier this year around Febuary. MK had its "Komplete Edition" released around the same time. Arcana Heart 3 and Dead or Alive Dimensions were released early 2011. King of Fighters XIII was released late last year, and Melty Blood Actress Again (the most recent installment, which is four years old at this point) had a PC port released around the same time. And Soul Calibur V was released January of this year.

So there were only two games that were released around the same time as SFxT, and both of them were just expansions that added the DLC characters and more story content. Capcom has no excuse.

EDIT: Forgot about Skullgirls, which was released about a month after SFxT.