What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I didn't care for the character herself, but she did reveal a lot about Killua's dark nature, which I did like since he's my favorite character. I love the scene where he's trying to assassinate her.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I am going to finish Wake Up Girls! if it kills me.

God save me guys.

gunswordfist

Watched episode 13 and 14 of HXH 1999 early this morning. It's the start of the Third Phase of the Hunter Exam. Right before the OP started, I was thinking, "Hmmm, I'm starting to really like this" because I've been thinking in the back of my head about how it's kind of catchy and after watching it again for episode 13 I ended up liking it. I believe that part of the story in 2011 is when I started to really like that show.

Ok, this episode makes me think that the Illusion Tree part was really filler. At worst, they seemed somewhat annoyed by Tonpa's presence, don't mention that he tried to get them killed at all, and in episode 14, they were surprised when he revealed that he was a rookie crusher, which they shouldn't have been, especially Leorio who heard him say that when Tonpa dropped him off under the Illusion Tree and pretty much the only yime it was referenced was when they flashbacked Gon seeing Kurapika having red eyes.

Anyway, I love how clever this majority vote and the contests with the prisoners are. I was planning on going to sleep after seeing one episode but just had to watch another. Also, the show's soundtrack sounds better and better to me. I already liked some of the music that I thought was RPG-esque and that kind of goofy sounding action scene music.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Episode 15 and 16 - Hisoka killing that guy was predictable more gruesome. Also, Illumi took longer to complete phase 3. If I remember correctly, in 2011, he came out right after Hisoka. Not that bad but I knew anime from the 90s would at least show some blood. In this version, the soldier type guy was the one to wager bets on whether snaggletooth was alive or not instead of the girl. I liked how they used transmitters instead of notes, which were kind of stupid. So the girl is a twisted psychologist instead of a gambler in this one? That makes more sense. It was funny when Tonpa closed Gon's eyes while in 2011 Gon just stood there and watched Leorio feel her up. And Johness didn't kill snaggletooth in this one. Lastly, the exchange between Leorio and Killua on how he doesn't think Killua was that smart is hilarious. I really like Leorio's voice actor.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just finished watching Ashita no Joe 2 not too long ago. Those last 4 episodes were....wow....just, WOW! Yeah, definitely one of the greatest works of fiction ever conceived. It's a type of ending that just suits this series so well. Those last few episodes were some of the most emotionally powerful that I've ever seen in animation. I can't wait to read all of this stuff in manga form.

Pharass

Saw Little Witch Academia and found it to be an enjoyable short with fun characters. I'd definitely like to see this get turned into a full-length series that can better expand upon the cast and the universe they inhabit.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Inkwolf

Watching Natsume's Book of Friends. 

My favorite type of anime show. ^^ Funny and sweet, with likeable characters.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

gunswordfist

I viewed episode 17 of HXH yesterday. Now Phase Three is over. :)

Inkwolf

Just watched Hakuoki. 

I barely kept from turning it off. I don't mind the tropes of reverse-harem (some of my favorites are in this genre) but found the heroine VERY tedious and pathetic, the other characters undeveloped and not very interesting, and the plot totally failed to engage me. Maybe it was just my mood.

Seriously, though--the Shinsengumi for some reason let this girl tag around with them because she supposedly was good enough with a sword to protect herself...and then she never uses a sword, and has to be rescued by one pretty boy or other three times an episode.

(Just Season 1, BTW, and will not be going on to Season 2)

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

gunswordfist

After 12 AM, I watched episode 18, after 12 PM I watched episode 10 of HXH. Being on episode 18 reminded me how much more content 1999 has than 2011. Episode 20 in 2011 is when Killua finds out who's Illumi, right? Anyway, I like all of this team, myself. HXH reminds me of 2 things YYH didn't really have, which is adventure and the 4 main characters working alongside people that aren't their friends. Hunter Exam has a lot of both. :)

gunswordfist

Finished episode 20 within the hour. So that was still Phase Three, huh? ...hmm, Illumi showed his normal self in this episode. Interesting.

gunswordfist

I watched episode 21 yesterday and episode 22 through yesterday night and past midnight. Ah, the first island hunt episodes. All of these episodes are my absolute favorite part of the Hunter Exam. Still love watching Gon train himself and hunting Hisoka. Also, 22 reminded me that Illumi's kinder than you'd think he'd be. I also think he really really cares about Killua from what I've seen.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Kill La Kill this week was really good.

Hunter X Hunter was good, but I'm still not over the inexcusably slow pacing of these episodes.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on February 20, 2014, 03:14:21 PM
Hunter X Hunter was good, but I'm still not over the inexcusably slow pacing of these episodes.

Funny thing is... I went back and skimmed through some of this arc and I've realized that Hunter X Hunter 2011 has actually been adapting an average of 3 chapters an episode right now. It hasn't been adapting less chapters; actually, considering there are 2 chapter and even 1 chapter an episode stuff in the the earlier arcs, it's arguably adapting MORE, and certainly 3X more than other shonen shows right now (except for Toriko which has been adapting 4 chapters an episode recently apparently).  So...I guess that says more about the pacing of the arc in the manga than anything. I mean, if this is the case maybe they should be adapting 5 chapters an episode or something, but it's not like they're dragging this out unreasonably. :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm aware of that, but here's th thing: in the manga it works because you can read at your own pace (unless you were reading it on a weekly basis). In the anime's case, they are clearly going to catch up to the current manga whether they want to or not, since Togashi still hasn't resumed the story. So essentially, it's better to go for quality and adapt more chapters per episode to even out the pacing rather than trying to keep things going on longer. If they have to do 5 or 6 chapters per episode, then so be it. At least they have a good point to end the anime at with the conclusion of the election arc, and if the manga ever resumes after that then they can wait a few years and then do a Final Act type series to finish up the rest of the story (assuming that the series is done by that point in time).