Comic Book Movies

Started by Avaitor, May 06, 2011, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 20, 2018, 05:58:21 PM
I don't think they should have fired him. Yeah, those tweets are offensive, but it's clear he was doing it as a joke and not because of an actual desire to touch children. He's the director of Tromeo and Juliet, and was pretty provocative up until he got hired to do Marvel movies. And just because he was friends with Huddleston doesn't mean he should be guilty by association.
Turns out that bit was just a really bad coincidence, thankfully. So yeah, I agree that he shouldn't have been fired for the kind of edgelord humor everyone was doing back then.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, learning more about this and if there was ever any doubt before, I'm now completely against Disney's decision here. I didn't realize before just who it was that accused Gunn of being a pedophile. Turns out Mike Cernovich is a guy who has genuinely defended the act of date rape, currently runs a clear hate group, and has pulled stuff like this with other celebrities in the past without any hard evidence to back up his claims. And based on just this one idiot's accusations Disney immediately decides to fire Gunn?

Also Dave Bautista and others have stepped in to defend James Gunn: https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/7/21/17597914/james-gunn-dave-bautista-patton-oswalt-mike-cernovich-ted-cruz-michael-ian-black

Avaitor

Disney tries to cover up Lasseter's abusive ass for decades, but lets go of Gunn for tweets he made a decade ago when he had no association with them? There's some slimey shit in there, but I don't think it's right.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Opinions on various SDCC trailers:

I like some of James Wan's Horror films, but Aquaman looks like a pretty generic blockbuster, IMO.

Shazam! actually looks like it could be kind of fun.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters actually looks better than I expected it to. Still not sold on it, but cautiously optimistic.

Glass could go either way. I see clear traces of M. Night's laughably bad dialogue in here, but to his credit I also see a lot of great, well-composed shots and interesting story concepts in here, and the core cast looks like they are really into their roles, so it could be another surprise success like Split. Either way, it'll definitely be entertaining, because I've never seen an M. Night movie that I found boring (I bust a gut laughing watching The Happening), aside from his big studio films like The Last Airbender and After Earth.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly looks like it'll definitely deliver on the visuals and spectacle, but I'm still skeptical as to whether Toriyama's writing will be up to snuff this time around and if he can make Broly into an actually interesting antagonist. That said, what I've seen so far restores at least a little bit of my faith in this movie.

Young Justice season 3 reminds me that I need to re-watch the first two seasons, but based on what I'm seeing, while it could certainly be good, I'm worried that it hasn't learned from its mistake in season 2 trying to juggle too many characters and sub-plots.

Titans could easily be the new Gotham or Iron Fist. It looks so godawfully terrible that I kind of really want to watch at least the first episode to see how much of a trainwreck it could be.

Avaitor

Aquaman looks like kind of a mess, but it has a lot of potentially cool ideas that I'm interested in seeing how they adapt into the film. Too much too soon maybe, but it looks better than any of Snyder's films.

Shazam!, meanwhile, looks like fun, Maybe a bit too much on the silly side, but fuck it, DC needs this. I'll give it a go.

And Titans looks terrible. I've never gotten into the team in any manner (even the Perez comics leave me indifferent), but this looks like no good interpretation. Go really looks like a masterpiece in comparison.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I'm in love with that Godzilla trailer, and I didn't even like the 2014 film all that much.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 31, 2018, 06:01:10 PM
Turd in the wind?

Alright, I have this theory that maybe this movie is intentionally made to emulate the terrible edgy comic books of the 90's, with the bad CG representating the shallow thoughtless artwork prevalent in many comics of that era while the dialogue is meant to sound like it's trying too hard to be provocative (while still staying at a suitable rating for teens), but just comes off as cringey. If you look at it that way, Venom is shaping up to be a perfect adaptation.

Or maybe that "turd  in the wind" line is a perfect metaphor for this movie.

Rynnec

As someone who's read and enjoyed several 90's comics, I'm pleasantly surprised how much I liked the trailer. Even the "turd in the wind" has that cringey, humorous charm to it and captures that edgy cheese so emblematic of Venom's 90's mini's.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I found a really good video summing up just how bat-shit insane (and terrible) of an idea Sony's proposed Spider-Man Universe (without any actual Spider-Man!) is: https://youtu.be/0wEvXwYhCaQ

Dr. Insomniac

I'm still not sure what Sony's endgame is. I guess a Sinister Six movie like what they had planned for their ASM universe, but what would it even be about? Would they just use Silk as their ersatz Tom Holland, because I don't see that working out.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, I don't get why they are trying to set-up a Universe based on most of Spider-Man's Rogues Gallery. They have the rights to all Spider-Man characters, right? So then why didn't they just do solo movies for other Spider-Men and Women (something for Miles, Silk, Gwen, Noir, etc.), and then have them team up in a Spider-Verse movie rather than coming right out the gate with it? That would give them much more material to work with for their adaptations and would also give them an advantage over the MCU since this would be a multi-verse, and thus each solo series wouldn't have to worry about maintaining the continuity of a shared Universe, while still retaining the benefits of crossing over their characters every few years. It just seems like a way better option than what they are supposedly going for.

Dr. Insomniac

Peanutbutter

Actually, they may have a VERY good reason. To avoid the fallout of him getting James Gunned. Crazy Days and Nights has hinted at this happening for months, this is just one post.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2018/09/blind-items-revealed-3_11.html