Talk about life.

Started by talonmalon333, December 29, 2010, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Also, making wishes are a sign of weakness.

So is talking about your problems. That's why I don't do either anymore.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Avaitor on November 12, 2011, 12:27:08 AM
Also, making wishes are a sign of weakness.

So is talking about your problems. That's why I don't do either anymore.
Pfft. Hardass. :>

Besides, I've found that admitting one's own weakness helps refine the strength instead of just letting it bottle up and swell.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Girls don't make sense sometimes.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on November 11, 2011, 10:33:48 PM
Never thought I'd post something like this, but I apparently have a crush on a girl in two of my classes. One of those classes was a workshop one, and her writing's exquisite, intelligent, and makes me ashamed of my own. There's been a few times where there was small talk, and she seemed nice. Also, she's hot. So three-for-three. Problem is, I'm ugly, shy, awkward as fuck, and have no idea how to approach. Doesn't help that my previous bouts with relationships have been more like cruel satires of one than the actual article.
How much taller are you than her? Give me something to work with here.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

How about a positive thread for everyday life? The internet could use some more positive thoughts out there, and I think we could all use it every now and then.

Do you ever wake up in the morning and you just feel warm inside yourself? I get that every now and then, it's a pretty great feeling.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I got a three day weekend this weekend, so I'm pretty excited.  And I go home in two weeks for Christmas, so I'm pretty excited for that too.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Just 2 more weeks of class for me too.

Despite my constant nagging, its actually been my best semester too. The worst I've had so far is an F on my first Biology midterm and the Practicum, but I've turned it around and I'm at a solid C now. If I can knock out the last 2 finals, I can probably raise it to a B.

Daxdiv

I have 3 days off from work this week. Which is kind of rare for me since I normally get like 2 days off. That just means an extra day of lounging around my house, cleaning up my room, looking into parts to build a PC gaming rig, and all that other stuff I do ever since I graduated from college.

Spark Of Spirit

It's been really nice around here the last couple of days. The weather is enjoyable and most people have been in a good mood. I really love this time of year, and it seems others seem to as well.  :)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Finals time, and I feel broken after having gone through the first one a few hours ago.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I haven't been talking much about my school life at college, but I just finished my finals last Thursday, and I can safely say that I have just completed my most brutal semester of college yet. I basically had 6 final exams within the span of 4 days, and I barely even had enough time to actually study for 3 of them (as in I spent 3 weeks since Thanksgiving weekend preparing for those exams....and that was just barely enough time). The whole semester was tough up until this point, but the finals almost broke me. This is the first time where I was so border-line between passing and failing out of any classes (just for the record, pharmacy students in my school have a rule of not being allowed to get lower than a C- in any courses, so a D+ or lower would be considered failing for us). It may seem easy enough to keep above a B in most classes, but when you get to the P2 year (which is my 4th cumulative year of college), getting a C to low B- is pretty much the norm. Studying a lot doesn't mean shit. You actually need to be really good and putting up with BS exam schedules and almost every question we get in P&T exams is a patient case that expects us to remember the most minute of details regarding identification of symptoms, corresponding treatments, and any contraindications. It gets really complex when they can make any details seems as abstract as possible by only vaguely hinting at them within the questions. And there's no such thing as partial credit, of course.

Anyways I know quite a few people who actually didn't make the cut as far as GPA requirements go, which kind of sucks since some of them were friends of mine. But this is basically the point in my school where shit gets real. I'm going to be extremely busy next semester as well, of course. So, I'm going to enjoy what I can of the Winter break that I have now.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 18, 2011, 02:01:25 PM
So, I haven't been talking much about my school life at college, but I just finished my finals last Thursday, and I can safely say that I have just completed my most brutal semester of college yet. I basically had 6 final exams within the span of 4 days, and I barely even had enough time to actually study for 3 of them (as in I spent 3 weeks since Thanksgiving weekend preparing for those exams....and that was just barely enough time). The whole semester was tough up until this point, but the finals almost broke me. This is the first time where I was so border-line between passing and failing out of any classes (just for the record, pharmacy students in my school have a rule of not being allowed to get lower than a C- in any courses, so a D+ or lower would be considered failing for us). It may seem easy enough to keep above a B in most classes, but when you get to the P2 year (which is my 4th cumulative year of college), getting a C to low B- is pretty much the norm. Studying a lot doesn't mean shit. You actually need to be really good and putting up with BS exam schedules and almost every question we get in P&T exams is a patient case that expects us to remember the most minute of details regarding identification of symptoms, corresponding treatments, and any contraindications. It gets really complex when they can make any details seems as abstract as possible by only vaguely hinting at them within the questions. And there's no such thing as partial credit, of course.

Anyways I know quite a few people who actually didn't make the cut as far as GPA requirements go, which kind of sucks since some of them were friends of mine. But this is basically the point in my school where shit gets real. I'm going to be extremely busy next semester as well, of course. So, I'm going to enjoy what I can of the Winter break that I have now.

You think it'll get even busier than this past semester?

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on December 18, 2011, 02:01:25 PM

Shit sounds scary. I actually feel like pursuing a degree in Biology but the workload is very intimidating and I've been struggling to maintain a decent GPA ever since I first entered college. Still, the only Bio class I've taken so far was very challenging and rewarding, and it made me feel like trying instead of coasting by like I did with a lot of my other classes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on December 22, 2011, 04:02:55 PM
Shit sounds scary. I actually feel like pursuing a degree in Biology but the workload is very intimidating and I've been struggling to maintain a decent GPA ever since I first entered college. Still, the only Bio class I've taken so far was very challenging and rewarding, and it made me feel like trying instead of coasting by like I did with a lot of my other classes.

I know what you mean. As hard as it is, its really rewarding to overcome tough courses, especially when they have some tough concepts that you're expected to know.

I would actually encourage going for the Bio degree even if it is harder, if that's something that genuinely interests you.

I won't lie, I just barely skimmed by this semester. In my first 2 years of college, which were undergrad, I was easily able to maintain above a 3.0 in my GPA (I usually hovered somewhere between a 3.1-3.4, which isn't exceptional, but it was slightly above the class average). Ever since my first professional year, though, its been really hard to keep up my grades, and this semester my GPA was at an all time low of 2.6 (the funny thing is that its pretty much around the class average, though, as shit gets really intense in years P2 and 3), which is above the 2.3 minimum, but its still a huge drop from where my grades used to be. That said the subject material I study is usually genuinely interesting and it is of course all part of what my major is about, so I just stick with it, even though I feel like I'm going to collapse from exhaustion at times when my work-load can get extremely overbearing (at least it makes my Winter break feel extremely rewarding, though ;) ).

Anyways, I will say that the extreme pressure that I go through each semester forces me to become smarter and learn new and useful study techniques, so I'll be a lot more prepared for the Spring semester than I was coming into this Fall semester. I mean I was used to things being difficult, but this time my friends and I were pretty shocked by just how huge of a jump in challenge we experienced with our courses. I definitely won't be caught off guard like that again. :D