Talk about life.

Started by talonmalon333, December 29, 2010, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Not as exciting as that!  :sweat:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Uh, I met a fellow Trooper who followed Maiden to Paris, London and Canada. That's it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Lately there have been a few things that have been bothering me. So here I go.

To start, I am 21 now (going onto 22 in less than a month). Despite that, I do not have my driver license yet... Truthfully, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that fact. Plenty of people wait years before they are ready.

However, this is the most important part, and the reason I'm posting here. It's the fact that I'm... afraid to do it. Like, very afraid. And this fact has been weighing on me and kind of been hurting for months now. And I think this makes it even worse cause I get nervous when driving.

On top of this, and probably the major reason I get nervous, is the fact that, to be honest, my judgement when practicing driving can really suck. And that fact does not sit well with me at all. I'm particularly bad when it comes to things like driving backward and parking, and parallel parking (though that's a tough part for most people). But on the road there are just things that I feel seriously terrible at, and could ultimately lead to disaster. I'm very prone to stupid mistakes while driving. And the idea of someday driving by myself, and doing stuff like hour long drives, is just beyond frightening.

This has caused me to simply stall on the whole thing. I passed the computer test almost a year ago, but the expiration date on my driver permit ends at the beginning of this upcoming March (but I can extend that). So yeah, I've been desperately stalling as much as I can on practicing until, on random days, someone in the house will say I should practice, and then I'm pretty much unable to say "I don't want to". Of course this stalling has backfired and hasn't improved my chances at fixing this, as I end up only practicing once or twice every week. And of course, this leads to my parents giving me multiple talks about how I'm not taking up the initiative to get up and say "I want to practice" on my own. But when they do I just sit there and listen unable to admit that the whole thing just scares me a lot and that I don't want to.

I just... don't know.

Dr. Insomniac

Well, getting a driver's license doesn't mean you're required to drive thereafter. My mom has a driver's license and she hasn't driven for decades. Just do that test once and the burden will be taken off.

Commode

I'm one of those types that loves driving.  If I could I would come to where ever you are and help you through it, because once you get it down it's easy.  Driving backwards, and parking?  Cake.  Parallel parking, it's harder yeah, but it's still no biggie once you get used to it.

Alhough I am wondering why you feel the need to get a driver's license.  I don't see why you would need one, unless it's necessary for you to get to work, just get a government ID instead.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 13, 2013, 12:55:11 AM
Well, getting a driver's license doesn't mean you're required to drive thereafter. My mom has a driver's license and she hasn't driven for decades. Just do that test once and the burden will be taken off.

Quote from: Comeau on February 14, 2013, 09:09:00 AM
I'm one of those types that loves driving.  If I could I would come to where ever you are and help you through it, because once you get it down it's easy.  Driving backwards, and parking?  Cake.  Parallel parking, it's harder yeah, but it's still no biggie once you get used to it.

Alhough I am wondering why you feel the need to get a driver's license.  I don't see why you would need one, unless it's necessary for you to get to work, just get a government ID instead.

When I get a license, I feel like I'll be expected to drive at least a decent amount. I think it's partially due to having the "you can't get through life without driving" speech hammered in. I just have this feeling like I'll always be prone to mistakes that no one should be making.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't drive. I usually walk or take the bus. Partially because I don't trust myself behind the wheel, and partially because I don't have the money to engage in the process.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

I've been driving for nearly five years now.  :happytime:

I couldn't imagine taking the bus or walking, just given where I live. If I actually lived in the city it'd be one thing, but I'm pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. Basically, it's like they just dropped one big subdivision of nothing but houses out in the desert, 20 miles or so from the nearest store, gas station, or anything even remotely resembling a city. It's barren, to say the least.

In fact, I don't even think the city buses come out this far. I've never seen any hint of them, anyway.

Avaitor

I live in a similar town to Kidd. Shit public transportation, and everywhere I'd have to go to is too far away for me to walk to. You kind of have no choice but to drive.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

That's how it is in most places in the country, except for like the Northeast.  There wasn't squat I could do back home in Boise without a car, except for like hang out at the Albertson's or the Walgreens or something(the only other things within walking distance were the high school and an Arctic Circle restaurant).  Same in Norfolk, there's one seedy ass bar not too far from base, other than that it's Burger King and the Food Lion.  Take a cab to the mall or anywhere in VA Beach?  Forget that shit, it's like 30 dollars one way.

Chicago was different, you could take the Metra train pretty much anywhere for like 7 bucks(even the 45 minute ride into downtown), and if you couldn't you could take a taxi to most places for like 5-10 bucks.  The one good thing about Chicago, it was so easy and cheap to go somewhere and get plastered.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Nel_Annette

Because my sister's rich-ass husband doesn't want her using his money, I just had to shell out $400. Fuck him.

This has been happening for the past few months now. Every time I finally get some money in my bank account, either my parents take it or my sister does. No wonder I'm never getting out of this fucking place.  :anger:

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

I feel like I have some kind of mild PTSD since I keep dreaming about that time last summer when my cousin tried to strangle me.

Spark Of Spirit

Have you dealt with him since?

Dr. Insomniac