Sitcoms

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 07, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

No-Personality

Quote from: Eddy on September 05, 2013, 12:58:16 AMI started watching That 70s Show on Netflix again. Damn, this show still manages to crack me up. It really is great.
Agreed.

I don't know why some people really do turn up their noses at it, it's extremely fun and clever. Probably ages better than Scrubs as well.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Avaitor

The one thing that really keeps me from watching T7S again, besides how much I overplayed it in middle school through sophomore year, is Fez.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Nel_Annette

Yeah, Fez became the low point of the show when he became aware of his own character, if you know what I mean. Once he started using his own characteristic traits as excuses for the shit he does, like, actually acknowledging them out loud, he got really annoying.

No-Personality

My favorite character was always Eric. Everyone had their funny moments (especially, surprisingly, his bratty sister) but Eric had actual energy in his dryness.

I obviously have to re-watch the show sometime, I barely remember Fez.
and I love it.

Avaitor

I always had a soft spot for Laurie myself. Not so much when they replaced her actress and she was married to Fez, but during her original time on the show she had some great lines.

Oh, apparently the original Laurie died recently, too. That's a shame, but it seems like she was having drug issues for a while.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Eddy

I completely forgot about how they replaced Laurie's actress. Of course, I forget a lot about the last couple seasons.

All the characters have their moments but I think I'd have to say my favorite character is Red.

No-Personality

Oh yeah, he's top 3, easily. Eric's whole family is hilarious.
and I love it.

Avaitor

Yeah, Forman's all the way for me.

New blog!

Commode

Just bought the complete series sets of That 70's Show and Roseanne for $32 each on Amazon.  I'm amazed at how cheap the sets were.

edit:  holy shit, Married With Children complete series set at $26 as well.  Too bad the Home Improvement set is $200...
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Yeah, FYE has the Roseanne set on sale for like $30 this week. I'm not even a big fan, but if I had the money, I'd definitely consider hitting that up.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Comeau on September 07, 2013, 01:30:23 PM
Just bought the complete series sets of That 70's Show and Roseanne for $32 each on Amazon.  I'm amazed at how cheap the sets were.

edit:  holy shit, Married With Children complete series set at $26 as well. 

Holy smokes! Those are real bargains! If I had the dough, and the time, I would totally get those!

And I second that Eric's family was hilarious. Red and Kitty made the show for me more often than not.

Avaitor

Oh, I was at FYE today, and I was wrong. They're $25 there.

Still too rich for my blood now (especially since I owned a bunch of T7S sets until I pawned them off), but totally awesome.

New blog!

Avaitor

Imma try the ranking game for Parks and Community.

Parks and Recreation

Season 1
5/10

Now to be fair, it's only 6 episodes long, and there are some good moments there, but the first season is considered watching only out of necessity for a reason. The writers tried a little too hard to make the show emulate The Office's success by making P&R a little too similar to it, with Leslie being too much of a dead ringer for Michael Scott in particular. There's definitely potential here, but I hope that newcomers don't bail after only a couple of episodes.

Season 2
8/10

A step up in about every conceivable way, but there's still signs of season 1's problems there. Thankfully the jokes at the expense of Tom's skin don't make it to the next season, as they were never funny to begin with. The show also tended to struggle with Mark and Ann's relationship, but that does make sense. Combining a stick in the mud with another stick just makes for a bore. But we get some more of Ron, April and Andy saving the day, as well as a taste of a couple of additions who will help to make the show what it is, and it's also a plus to let Donna and Jerry have their time to shine as well. Leslie also gets the boost she needs, as Amy Poehler decides which version of her she needed to pull off- the hopeful kind.

Season 3
10/10

And everything just seems to click all at once. Ben and Chris make for GREAT additions, giving the already splendid cast more great actors to play off with. Leslie and Ann's friendship also becomes increasingly more palpable, finally giving one of the show's trickiest characters to write for something worthwhile to do. The only problem is that it's so short, but there isn't a stinker in the bunch.

Season 4
9/10

The writing's about as good as ever, but what makes me refrain from giving this season a perfect score is that the election storyarc shows a sampling of one of the show's biggest problems now- it gets too silly for its own good. There are some very unbelievably stupid or twisted characters that Leslie has to deal with on her way to the top, Bobby Newport and Jamm in particular. We don't see too much of the former after he loses, but the latter won't become very useful no matter how often he shows up. I do give the staff credit for realizing that a little bit of Jean-Ralphio goes a long way, however. Everything else, from whatever Ron says to Ben's growing appreciation of Pawnee, is still gold.

Season 5
8/10

Still quite solid, but the show is starting to have its weakness show, with the problems I mentioned in the previous season, among other issues. Like Ann's relationship with Tom, which went nowhere, and shows just how much of a challenge it is for the writers to deal with her. There's still some great character bits, April in particular growing in a good way, but I think the show has peaked already, which is very sad. Many were calling this The Office done right, but it wouldn't be unfair to say that the staff is making some of the same mistakes again.

Community

Season 1
7/10

A bit of a low score, since the show deals with the same bit of roughness that many first seasons do, but to be fair, it redeems itself fast when Harmon began to realize that Jeff's running of the group isn't as fun of a premise as it should be, and decided on what route to take the show- a full-on attack of most anything in modern culture. The awkardness is still too apparent in the earlier episodes, but when it gets good, there's no going back. Especially with that lovely finale.

Season 2
9/10

Not a perfect ten? Well, the stop-motion episode was kind of disappointing, while some eps that blew me away at first left me a little flat in repeats ("Mixology 101"). But Harmon got it down HARD, and made this the reconstruction and rebuild of the sitcom in the course of a season. It just needs to be seen to be believed.

Season 3
8/10

A weak batch of beginning episodes and a so-so finale are what mars an otherwise great follow-up season, with some of the show's best episodes. I never intentionally rewatched an episode of a show as fast as I did when "Remedial Chaos Theory" first came out.

Season 4
4/10

Well, it's not all bad. The show is still able to pull of dramatic moments, and any joke at Britta's expense still works. But yeah... the show lost a lot of its charm and love here. I think it can regain itself this coming season, so I'm hopeful.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

I agree with your Parks rankings, but personally, for me both seasons two and three of Community are perfect 10's. I dunno, I just didn't not love a single episode within those two seasons, but I suppose they could have been even better than they were. Agree with seasons 1 and 4 of Community, though. I hope season 5 will be a lot better...