Cartoon Network Nostalgia Thread

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 10:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rynnec on April 02, 2012, 08:39:17 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 02, 2012, 08:15:36 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 08:08:41 PM
Actually, watching DBZ the other night, I was reminded once again how much I love the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack. I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority here (I know Spark doesn't like it, anyway), and it is a replacement score, so weeaboos be damned, but some of those tracks just sound great to me. I'm still not sure if what it is, if that's just the nostalgia talking or what, but I'm not going to argue.
Fuck Spark, ensatsuken and Desen. The Faulconer soundtrack is the clear best. Kai's is ok...up until the Cell saga. It's fitting for the older episodes because it gives that old school but after the animation improvement in later episodes, it feels so out of place. I'm not sure why people prefer the original besides the fact that it "came first". It's a space kungfu cosmic shounen comedy and Bruce's music fits that and not whatever snooty title they have for whatever makes them think the original fits better.

I prefer the Faulconer music too. I can respect the Kikuichi's original score, and I'm fond of Kai's as well (despite the plagarism), but when it comes to something as action-heavy as DBZ, I prefer more rockier music, and Faulconer and co. delivers that.
Exactly. It's like people are demanding some soothing shit or some classic whatever. I hate this IMMA OTAKU AND WHAT CAME FIRST IS TEH BEST shit. I bet if Kai wasn't based off of the manga, they'd hate it for coming last too. :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 08:53:18 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 08:37:28 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 08:30:43 PM
I have never said anything bad about the DBZ dub... like ever. I actually like it.
It makes sense that the same guy did both. Kai's music sounds like something that belongs in Dragonball. It really does feel out of place in the Cell saga though.
Sorry, I thought you mentioned before that you didn't care for the Faulconer score (which is okay with me even if you did anyway, as I don't take this show as stone-cold seriously as some people do).

Didn't mean to drag you into this like that.
It's cool, but I do really like his score. It's a good alternative to the original.

I actually like the original DB's music more than DBZ's since I think that style of music tends to suit the original series more.

It really does.

IMO Kikuichi's score fits perfectly into what Dragon Ball offers; a light-hearted shonen action series. DBZ, on the other hand, is a lot more serious, the villains a lot more deadly, and everything is amplified x1000. The music should reflect that, and Faulconer's score does. Kikuichi's is pretty much the same stuff he did for Dragon Ball, and most of it just feels out of place. You've got a lot of tense moments with no music or sound whatsoever, or serious moments with light-hearted tracks, and after watching the show with both scores, Faulconer's just fits so much better to me.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 02, 2012, 09:23:57 PM
Actually, watching DBZ the other night, I was reminded once again how much I love the Bruce Faulconer soundtrack. I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority here (I know Spark doesn't like it, anyway), and it is a replacement score, so weeaboos be damned, but some of those tracks just sound great to me. I'm still not sure if what it is, if that's just the nostalgia talking or what, but I'm not going to argue.
Fuck Spark, ensatsuken and Desen. The Faulconer soundtrack is the clear best. Kai's is ok...up until the Cell saga. It's fitting for the older episodes because it gives that old school but after the animation improvement in later episodes, it feels so out of place. I'm not sure why people prefer the original besides the fact that it "came first". It's a space kungfu cosmic shounen comedy and Bruce's music fits that and not whatever snooty title they have for whatever makes them think the original fits better.

I prefer the Faulconer music too. I can respect the Kikuichi's original score, and I'm fond of Kai's as well (despite the plagarism), but when it comes to something as action-heavy as DBZ, I prefer more rockier music, and Faulconer and co. delivers that.
Exactly. It's like people are demanding some soothing shit or some classic whatever. I hate this IMMA OTAKU AND WHAT CAME FIRST IS TEH BEST shit. I bet if Kai wasn't based off of the manga, they'd hate it for coming last too. :D
As long as you understand that Steve Blum is terrible as Spike Spiegel and that the Cowboy Bebop English dub is disgraceful in general simply because it's not Japanese.

(no, really, I've seen people say this shit before)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on April 02, 2012, 08:35:25 PM
Fuck Spark, ensatsuken and Desen.
lol
.3. Can't believe I wasted a good on-the-fly insult for the wrong occassion.

Well at least Foggle sigged it. Me almost snorting from laughing from seeing that alone is worth iy.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 09:26:02 PM
Quote from: gunswordfist on April 02, 2012, 09:23:57 PM

As long as you understand that Steve Blum is terrible as Spike Spiegel and that the Cowboy Bebop English dub is disgraceful in general simply because it's not Japanese.

(no, really, I've seen people say this shit before)
:shit: I won't accept anything more than "Faye's voice seems kind of off" Anything beyond that that isn't :worship:ing is the equivalent of failing an IQ test you studied for.

Spark Of Spirit

Didn't even the staff behind Cowboy Bebop say they preferred the dub voices? I'm pretty sure that happened.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Anybody who claims to dislike the Cowboy Bebop dub to such a degree isn't even trying to hide where their priorities lie.

They might as well just move to Japan and be done with it.

Foggle

Faye's English voice is awesome, dude. All of the voice work in Bebop is.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 09:32:41 PM
Didn't even the staff behind Cowboy Bebop say they preferred the dub voices? I'm pretty sure that happened.
Yes, they did. Watanabe is reportedly an Amerophile and once said something to the extent of "Cowboy Bebop was always intended more for western audiences."

gunswordfist

EK LOVES mentioning that Watanabe prefers the English dub. We've had plenty of conversations about that.

Besides that, I know from the Bebop movie that Jet's English voice actor likes his Japanese counterpart's voice over. I believe I remember them playing a clip and it was good. :thumbup:
Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 09:35:05 PM

Yes, they did. Watanabe is reportedly an Amerophile and once said something to the extent of "Cowboy Bebop was always intended more for western audiences."
Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 09:35:05 PM

Oh, I like it. I just remember someone else saying that and I thought that was acceptable.

Nice tidbit about Watanabe. He does love American culture.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 08:58:17 PM
Yeah, this doesn't really get me as psyched for DBZ as this.

And for the hell of it.
The first two second of the first one sounds like something straight out of Mega Man.

Nel_Annette

I friggin' love the Faulconer soundtrack. Enough that I bought a few of the CD volumes. The baddie themes are awesome, as is the track that always played whenever a major bad guy finally died.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on April 02, 2012, 08:58:17 PM
Yeah, this doesn't really get me as psyched for DBZ as this.

Ah, one of my favorites. A perfect shortened version to the excellent opening theme.
[/quote]Very nice.

Rynnec

It's a shame this track never played in the show proper (at least not that I can recall). Trunks had some of the best themes dedicated to him.