Hack n' Slash games

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, April 11, 2011, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've been replaying DMC4 in my spare time, now that I've taken a break from Bayonetta since beating it on NSIC mode. I actually only got half-way through DMD mode on DMC4 back when I was playing the game. I stopped because I was kind of getting tired of the game at the time, but I'm coming back into it fresh. The only major problem with that is how with a game like this, if you haven't played it for years, you tend to have lost most of your skills and really need to warm up and practice to get proficient at necessary techniques again. For that reason I've been playing on Devil Hunter mode, but that's actually a bit too easy so I'll most likely switch to Son of Sparda mode pretty soon. I feel that I could probably just take on DMD mode as is, but I feel that getting my skills back up to snuff will help it go a lot smoother. With Dante, I'd really have no problem, but with Nero, I'm way out of practice, and playing with him again makes me realize just how drastically different his play style is.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Every evening after I finish studying I've been playing bits and pieces of the games that I own, and I finally got back around to trying NG2, and realized instantly why, despite its faults, it's a far better game than NG3/RE. Aside from being far more responsive, the combat system in NG2 is, for me, unrivaled in the genre. And, the thing is, it's not substantially deep in the same vein as a DMC game. It has nuance, but it's a completely different type of combat than any other game out there. Rather than racking up insane combos (which you can do, even if it's not practical), this game presents you with a mechanic where if you know how to use weapons and moves with a high chance of striking a critical against the right enemies, you will instantly dismember them 95% of the time. By doing that, you are put into a state where you can finish them off immediately. The thing is, enemies in this game can kill you almost instantly on the higher difficulties, but you can do the same thing to them, and when you get proficient enough you'll be taking down enemies extremely fast and proficiently, which to me is the most satisfying feeling that I've ever felt in any action game.

As for DMC games, they also have distinct combat that, for all intents and purposes, is the best you can find of that particular type of combat. The first game actually isn't very combo heavy like its sequels, and is actually remotely similar to the concept of NG2's combat, except instead of an OT system there is a specific way to critical each enemy, and knowing the right tactics to use on each can let you kill them quickly, but as with NG2, they can do the same thing to you.

The 3rd and 4th game reward you more for understanding certain techniques and how to exploit enemy patterns and capitalize on juggling them while not giving them much chance to recover and attack you back.

Bayonetta, strangely enough, is actually like a strange amalgam of elements that make up combat styles from both NG and DMC games, and is entirely it's own thing. At a glance it seems like more DMC, and partly because it's from the same creator, but it's really not. It's more about effectively utilizing dodges while relentlessly attacking enemies as much as possible.

As for NGB, it's sometimes misleadingly called a defensive game. While I understand the notion, it should be emphasized that it's a game where defense and maneuvering around enemy attacks is just as important as attacking enemies, and it's about knowing when to attack enemies, which IMO is another unique and interesting combat system that ironically seems to be the one that most games in the genre try to emulate, but most utterly fail at doing so, IMO.

I just brought this up because I often see people say that these games are all the same kind of stuff and assume that they are either button mashers or that they are for people with crazy amounts of skill. Neither is really true (unless you encounter people playing for rank, but that's a different story entirely). Honestly, to me, these games are about discovery and strategy. You experiment with different weapons and moves and learn about the enemies and bosses and you discover powerful attacks you can use, useful abilities to help you, and enemy and boss weaknesses to exploit, and the. You utilize strategic thinking to apply what you have learned and triumph. The best games in the genre basically have this concept in common, and it's a large part of why it's my favorite genre, and why the above mentioned games in particular are so damn replayable.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My recent post on the Zelda thread just made me realize this, but I would totally love a hack n' slash game with great combat (which goes without saying, obviously) AND great exploration elements. There should still be a clear path for progression through the game, so that it doesn't feel aimless, but it would be great to let you choose that path in the order that you want to take it, rather than progressing in a linear level-to-level arrangement. I'm actually kind of surprised that such a game hasn't been attempted by any of the top-tier developers for this genre, now that I think about it.

gunswordfist

i have been thinking the same thing. especially if it was an action platformer. prince of persia reboot came the closest.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

if you have xbox live gold on 360, tonight is the last night you can get darksiders 2 for free.

talonmalon333

So I just purchased a PS3 game. A certain hack 'n slash game that may be related to a franchise I mentioned earlier today. It's certainly been recommended to me before and I have mentioned before that I'd like to play it. Now, I will say that I'm not going to get a chance to get to it within the next few weeks. However, having now bought it, I can say with certainty that, before long, it will finally be taken off my waiting list. ;)

gunswordfist

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

:joy:

A word of warning: while it's not as hard as others make it out to be, the beginning IS tough because you have to learn the ropes. Whenever you do start playing it, if you get stuck anywhere, don't hesitate to ask for some suggestions. That said, this game rewards experimentation, so if a certain strategy doesn't work for you, it diesn't hurt to try something new. ;)

Oh, and the story is practically non-existent, so I hope that's not a problem for you.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2015, 09:06:06 PMlolipop chainsaw?

Of course not. Clearly he's referring to Genji: Days of the Blade. I mean, what OTHER great PS3 hack n' slash game could he possibly be talking about. :humhumhum:

Spark Of Spirit

DMC is not very good. You've wasted your money, Talon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

you accidentally capitalized the m, spirit. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 19, 2015, 09:26:47 PM
you accidentally capitalized the m, spirit. :sly:
I never know the proper way to capitalize these stupid titles.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

DmC is actually an OK game. It's fun in a casual sort of way.

It's a terrible DMC game, though.

Anyways, speaking of hack n' slash games, I'm surprised that Talon hasn't played MGRR yet, considering what a huge Metal Gear fan he is.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2015, 09:09:45 PM
:joy:

A word of warning: while it's not as hard as others make it out to be, the beginning IS tough because you have to learn the ropes. Whenever you do start playing it, if you get stuck anywhere, don't hesitate to ask for some suggestions. That said, this game rewards experimentation, so if a certain strategy doesn't work for you, it diesn't hurt to try something new. ;)

Oh, and the story is practically non-existent, so I hope that's not a problem for you.

Sure. I'll keep all that in mind when I finally get to Genji: Days of the Blade in the near future. :D

Nah, just kidding. I do admit that I'm looking forward to playing NG, and I have a feeling it'll lead me to try some other well regarded games of its genre. I imagine that I'm going to be bad at it when I start, but I promise I will push onward.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2015, 09:09:45 PMOh, and the story is practically non-existent, so I hope that's not a problem for you.

No problem. Story is a plus if its done well. But I am a Mario fan, after all. :thumbup:

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on February 19, 2015, 09:17:55 PM
DMC is not very good. You've wasted your money, Talon.

Oh geez, what have I done?

Also, on a side note, I plan on getting the DMC HD Collection.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 19, 2015, 09:36:52 PM
Anyways, speaking of hack n' slash games, I'm surprised that Talon hasn't played MGRR yet, considering what a huge Metal Gear fan he is.

I do want to play that one, too. However, I always wanted my entrance into the genre to be either Ninja Gaiden or Devil May Cry.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Part of what makes NG great is when the game feels like it got more manageable for you later on, but then you realize that it didn't get easier; you just got better. It's a truly rewarding feeling that few modern games can match.

Also, Fun Fact: The same team that made DMC1 (and I think RE2, or at least Kamiya also directed thst game) went on to become Platinum Games, and developed MGRR.

Anyways, as for DMC HD, whenever you finally get around to it, start with the first game, then play 3, and then by DMC4, and just pretend that DMC2 doesn't exist.