Anime That You Prefer To Watch Dubbed

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 16, 2015, 09:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Like most people, I tend to watch subs for any new series that I start, but there are those exceptions where I just want to watch my anine content in English, either because of legitimately good voice acting, or because the script is just entertaining. Mind you, this isn't about whether the dub is better than the sub. It's just the version that you find more enjoyable or appealing to watch for whatever reason. For me those are:

Hellsing Ultimate- Not a huge fan of the manga or show anymore, but the dub makes it more entertaining.

Rurouni Kenshin- Chalk this one up to nostalgia. The sub is far superior, yet I can't bring myself to watch any other version of it. For what it's worth, though, Kenshin, Saito, and Shishio are legitimately well-acted roles in the dub.

Hajime no Ippo- This is the type of show that's more well suited to binge-watching, which of course is easier when you don't have to read. I do honestly like the voices though.

Black Lagoon- As someone who watched the entire thing subbed on my first outing with it, I instantly preferred the dub when it came out. The characters were spot-on and still had surprising range, though I did miss the "Engrish" as a guilty pleasure.

Yu Yu Hakusho- It's nowhere near the best voice-acting, but I fucking love that script. Had the Americanized jokes been handled poorly, it would've just been a hack dub, but instead it made one of the best anime even more entertaining, IMO.

Cowboy Bebop- No shit.

The Big O- Also a no-brainer.

Ouran High School Host Club- I just prefer most of my comedy in English.

Full Metal Panic!/Fumoffu/TSR- Tomokazu Seki is excellent as Sousuke, but Chris Patton is always the person's voice who cones to mind when I think of the character, and he shows surprising range in TSR if you ever doubted him. Add to that top-rate talent like comedian Mike McRae as Gauron, veteran VA Vic Mignogna as Kurz, and the late Mike Kleinhenz as Kalinin (an incredibly underrated VA who's passing still saddens me to this day), and you have tge makings of one of my favorite dubs ever. I like the sub just fine, and it's equally well acted, but this will always be my go-to version.

The Shadow Gentleman

Trigun and GTO. Trigun's dub feels like it fits the show better, and GTO's dub makes the show even more enjoyable.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There were more that I wanted to mention, but I decided to take a break.

Trigun was another one I would list as well, though.

As for GTO, while I like the dub scripting, I do prefer the Japanese voice cast in this case, but both versions are definitely worth watching.

LumRanmaYasha

Outside of everything already mentioned so far already mentioned (which I all agree with), I find BECK leagues better dubbed than subbed and I don't think many would disagree with that stance. I also prefer watching Bobobo, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball, School Rumble, Lupin the Third (second series), Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and The Slayers dubbed more than I do subbed, though I still like the original versions just as much.

When there's a dub for a show available, though, I generally just watch it over the sub so long as it's competent and good. Examples of shows where I tried the dub and knew off the bat "Yeah, I should just stick with the sub" include Revolutionary Girl Utena, Serial Experiments Lain, and the Urusei Yatsura movies' dubs, among others.

Spark Of Spirit

The script for Trigun misses a few things made clear in the sub, but the four main voices (especially Vash) are far preferred in the dub. It was the role that made JYB a go to guy in the anime world for a reason.

Another one I really like is Outlaw Star's dub. It just feels like the cast had a blast with it and it shows in their performances.

I second pretty much everything else already listed.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Duel Masters - The gag dub elevates the show from a generic Yu-Gi-Oh! knockoff to an MST3K-esque riff of the source material. And they beat LittleKuriboh to the punch by over a year!

Dr. Insomniac

Sextra Credit. What used to be a fairly creepy series transforms into a romantic pastiche thanks to English dubbing.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Daikun on January 17, 2015, 01:32:54 AM
Duel Masters - The gag dub elevates the show from a generic Yu-Gi-Oh! knockoff to an MST3K-esque riff of the source material. And they beat LittleKuriboh to the punch by over a year!

Ah yeah, I forgot about the Duel Masters dub. Yeah, it really was a proto-abridged series, wasn't it? Good times, good times.

gunswordfist

funny enough, most fans hate lupin the third second series' dub.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

goody2shoes

In appr. order of quality:

• Black Lagoon
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Redline
  • Baccano
  • Hellsing/Ultimate (Jan Valentine :worship:)
  • FMA/BH
  • Death Note
  • Welcome to the NHK
  • Mushishi
  • Code Geass
  • Excel Saga
  • Lupin: Fujiko Mine
  • Birdy the Mighty
Yup, sure are some great dubs out there.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Movies:

Redline
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Ninja Scroll
Trigun: Badlands Rumble (still a mediocre movie, though)
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

gunswordfist

inuyasha. from what i heard, in the sub, inuyasha sounds like a little kid while in dub, from the little demons to the title character, the voice acting is great.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

I can't stand most the voice acting in the InuYasha dub, honestly, and it's a big part of why I find the anime version a more tedious experience. At least for the original series (the dub performances in The Final Act somehow comes across much better for me.) The main exceptions for me are the core villains. I thought Naraku, Kagura, Hakudoshi, The Infant, Kanna, Moryomaru, & Byakuya all had great dub performances. As far as InuYasha himself goes, I think Kappei Yamaguchi did a fine job with him and I like his performance better than Richard Ian Cox's, personally. It's neat that both Ranma and InuYasha share the same voice actor in the dub like they do in the original versions, of course, but I just don't think Cox fit the role as well as he did Ranma, though I do think he did grow into it over time (his performance during Kikyo's death scene in TFA was spot-on, for instance).