Spoiler
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

^Good list!

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 15, 2014, 09:38:35 PM
i need to finish outlaw star.
It really holds up.

Still waiting for the second season after all these years.  :-[
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

and i still need to finish my favorite giant robot show, big o.

and yes, it has aged well when i last saw it and i've been waiting for season 2 forever as well. it would have made my top 10 but i need a more recent viewing of it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

10. highlander: search for vengeance
9. afro samurai resurrection
8. summer wars
7. dragonball z fusion reborn
6. akira
5. trust & betrayal
4. lupin castle of cagliostro
3. lupin secret of mamo
2. vampire hunter d bloodlust
1. cowboy bebop knocking on heaven's door

over the last two days i have been trying to decide whether i liked akira or summer wars more. me just finalizing my list means that akira is my favorite recently watched anime movie. huhn, i never saw that coming. it went from being the 1st anime movie that piqued my interest to being considered boring and now this. summer wars has more heart, probably moreso than any other film on my list, but i am a sucker for scifi action/adventure. i like fusion reborn for many reasons. i consider the ending to be the true conclusion to vegeta's hero arc. i also need to rewatch fusion reborn and all the other movies...i haven't seen the top 5 in over 10 years...

Spark Of Spirit

A friend sent me this list of IGN's "8 anime worth watching." Now, I'm not going to give IGN clicks, so I really don't care what context this was in. That said, this is quite a perplexing list. They chose:

Death Note
Code Geass
Baccano
RWBY
School Days
Samurai Champloo
Kill la Kill
Attack on Titan

So, like. Pick 8 shows out of a hat or something? They aren't all bad shows (some are actually good), it's just a bizarre mishmash.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

RWBY is a web show, isn't it?

I can understand Death Note, Baccano, Kill la Kill, AoT, and maybe Code Geass (as much as I can't stand it), but putting SC over Cowboy Bebop and even the mere notion of including School Days on this list is just ludicrous unless this list was meant to be a joke or something.

talonmalon333

Yeah, no Cowboy Bebop is strange. It's not even my #1 favorite, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it on a list like that.

LumRanmaYasha

I decided to actually watch the video, and at the beginning they specifically named Bebop and Trigun as classics, but said this list was focusing on "newer shows" (as in, from within the last ten years, I guess) that people are always talking about, so at least that explains that.

Still, it's a lame list. Most of them are just obvious and really common choices that you'd see anybody recommend. And the two somewhat unique picks simply do not belong: RWBY is not an anime (no matter how much everyone keeps trying to say it's one), and School Days is a notoriously terrible series whose only notable aspect is it's infamously dark ending. Those two choices make me believe that whoever made this list doesn't even watch anime but just cherry-picked stuff people seem to talk about most from random forums or something. That, or they only watch the most mainstream stuff, but then were short two picks and just went "fuck it," and randomly threw them in there.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If I were to recommend anime JUST from the last 10 years (starting with 2005), here's what I'd come up with (in no particular order):

Death Note
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Hunter X Hunter (2011)
Kill La Kill
Kids on the Slope
Level E
Black Lagoon
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Summer Wars
Redline

There you go, 8 choices of great variety to match IGN's 8, as well as 2 very different but equally awesome anime films for those interested in that branch of anime.

I also didn't even necessarily pick my favorites, but rather shows from different genres that I think would appeal to a lot of people. Death Note as a shonen psychological thriller, JoJo and HXH as two very different but great minds of battle shonen, Kill La Kill for everyone's introduction to Imaishi and studio Trigger, Kids on the Slope for Slice of Life, Level E for comedy and Sci-Fi (you could probably substitute Level E with Space Dandy, as well, if you put my own personal bias aside), Black Lagoon for your gun-toting action-fest, and Madoka Magica for your look at the magical girl genre from a very different angle.

Summer Wars would be a great film for people who want a story with a lot of substance and values to it, but also has enough action to keep them entertained, while Redline is just a testament to the power of thrill-pumping Japanese animation and how exciting and intense an anime film can be from start to finish, not to mention just flat-out fun and balls-to-the-walls crazy.

Avaitor

If I wanted to make sure someone never picks up an anime again, I'd suggest that they watch Code Geass.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on December 24, 2014, 11:37:14 AM
If I wanted to make sure someone never picks up an anime again, I'd suggest that they watch Code Geass.
That show was a real mess. It almost feels like a Gundam parody at points, though, of course, it's not funny.

And I thought people disliked RWBY?

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 24, 2014, 01:52:51 PM
And I thought people disliked RWBY?

From what I gather, it has a strong following and seems to be very popular.

Dr. Insomniac

Geass is old hat though. Aldnoah.Zero's the convoluted mecha anime pissing off fans nowadays.

gunswordfist

i am so happy that i loathe the genre.