South Park

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, no direct continuity reference with last week's episode this time, but at least we got a reference to that handicap summer camp episode from a few seasons back. Anyways, I liked this episode. I'm always a fan of when one of the kids innocently starts something that starts becoming really big and then pisses off a lot of corrupt corporate douche bags, and it's especially funny when it's Timmy since you know that he's literally just trying to raise money for Summer Camp and doesn't care about starting a business at all.

Dr. Insomniac

And it was also a reference to Timmy in Stick of Truth.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 16, 2014, 02:12:08 PM
So, no direct continuity reference with last week's episode this time, but at least we got a reference to that handicap summer camp episode from a few seasons back. Anyways, I liked this episode. I'm always a fan of when one of the kids innocently starts something that starts becoming really big and then pisses off a lot of corrupt corporate douche bags, and it's especially funny when it's Timmy since you know that he's literally just trying to raise money for Summer Camp and doesn't care about starting a business at all.

Considering he sold the damn business for a very generous sum, I'm going to say that those kids are gonna have the best summer camp of their entire lives. I also lost it when Nathan's mom was playing dumb about what her son wanted because she didn't want that to mess up her vacation plans to Italy. That and the return of Wacky Races! Who knew Dick Dastardly had it in him this time.

LumRanmaYasha

Man, there hasn't been an episode where Timmy has a major role, much less one focused on him, in over a decade. It was nice to see one again after all this time. I loved how they were both tackling new group-share automobile services like Zipcar as well as the death of saturday morning cartoons. It was also great to see Nathan and Mimsy return again. I remember in the commentary for "Crippled Summer" Matt and Trey really liked the duo and wanted to bring them back in future episodes, so I'm glad they finally found a way to use them again, here. It was also great that they kept with the classic cartoon theme by referencing Wacky Races in this episode. The only reference to last week's episode in this one was a small Lorde reference, so maybe they've decided to drop that, though personally I wish they would try and keep it up for the rest of the season. I also found it interesting that this is one of the very few episodes to date where the main boys aren't in it at all. The only other ones like that I can think of are "Pip" and "A Million Little Fibers. "That definitely didn't hurt the episode, though. This season just continues to be great stuff.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, this season is shaping up to be one of the best in a long time. Every other season for at least the past decade has been a mix of hits and misses (though I would argue more hits than misses, overall), but as of the first 4 episodes, here, I've seen 2 great episodes and 2 really solid ones.

LumRanmaYasha

Yeah, in the last few years the beginning of a new South Park season would have some rough episodes early on, but I've liked all the episodes this season around equally, so far. I think these have been the best starting episodes to a season since season 14, at the least.

Daxdiv

No new episode this week. Apparently they call this their "dark week" and they have another planned around Thanksgiving week. Well, a break isn't too bad.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't mind, anyways, since I probably won't get a chance to watch any new episodes of anything that airs on Wednesday through Friday this week, being that I'll be back at my cousin's house to celebrate my birthday with my family, and to do some stuff with my dad.

LumRanmaYasha

I was wondering if they would do this down the line. I think it's great that they've set aside weeks to relax during the production schedule. Doing ten weeks straight is crazy, after all. Hopefully the next episode will be a really good one to make up for the extra wait.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it's not like they are going to really utilize that extra time. Trey and Matt have made it clear that they always spend just a week on making each episode. They claim to have tried planning them out in advance, and say that the problem is that they always second guess themselves and end up being too overly cautious and restrictive on what they want to do with the episode. Basically, they seem to work much better under stress and the pressure of a deadline.

LumRanmaYasha

I meant that I hope it's a really good one to make up for the anticipation of now having to wait an extra week for a new episode, not that I expect that the extra time will help them make the episode better, because I assumed they were just taking this week off completely in the first place.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, I see. Well, South Park has always been like a box of assorted chocolates. Some are shit, others are mediocre, but most are pretty good to even great. That said, you still can never be sure what you'll get with each one.

LumRanmaYasha

I feel this season has had the strongest start of any since at least season 14, so I have a good hope that the remainder of the episodes are just as good. In general, though, there always tends to be more episodes I like than those there aren't. New episodes really tend to be the highlight of my week when they come out, which is why waiting another week at this point after only 4 episodes have aired can get me a little impatient.  :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I was about to say that at least there's Wednesday night's episode of Arrow to look forward to, but then I remembered that you don't watch that show. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And we're 5 for 5, so far. I loved this episode. I love this season. It's the strongest that we've had in a long time up to this point.

Butters's dad not considering the possibility that Butters himself took the drone since he "can't fly it without his supervision" was priceless, and it's the type of comedy that works because it plays off of established character traits. You just don't see this kind of humor in something like Family Guy, and personally I'd argue that South Park does this sort of humor better than most animated sitcoms.