South Park

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I was extremely happy to see an episode focused on Mr. Garrison again, for the first time since season 12! He's always one of my favorite characters in the show, and I've been disappointed that recent seasons have downplayed him so much. I'm excited at the prospects of him being a politician going to continue as a subplot through the season.

GregX

Quote from: Peanutbutter on September 24, 2015, 05:59:56 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 24, 2015, 03:21:41 PM
So, yeah, continuity in South Park is definitely a thing, now.

I loved the jab at Donald Trump in this episode.

Canadian Trump was a nice touch, but at the risk of sounding like PC Principal I really didn't like Garrison raping him literally at the end.   :whuh: I think that was way too far at the end, but the rest of episode was great. What's nice is now it seems they're going to continue with Garrison going political in addition to PC Principal still being in town.  Considering the fraternity they set up last time I have a feeling they'll do an episode on the UAV false rape scandal soon.

They did it because, well, it's Trump's own rhetoric. All the rapists coming up over the border, etc.

Peanutbutter

I got that it was all a jab at Trump's rhetoric, I just don't think it had to be beaten over South Park's fans' heads. I just don't find rape funny, even if it had a political purpose.

Foggle

Quote from: GregX on September 28, 2015, 08:29:25 AM
They did it because, well, it's Trump's own rhetoric. All the rapists coming up over the border, etc.
Wow, I didn't even think of that.

Quote from: Peanutbutter on September 28, 2015, 10:04:13 AM
I got that it was all a jab at Trump's rhetoric, I just don't think it had to be beaten over South Park's fans' heads. I just don't find rape funny, even it had a political purpose.
I agree with this. I also didn't like those parts of that earlier episode with Indiana Jones getting raped.

...Handbanana is still the funniest shit, though.

Nel_Annette

Handbanana had the advantage of a meme-worthy one-liner. The South Park rape stuff is just uncomfortable.

GregX

Considering that Trump raped his ex-wife, I can't feel too bad for him about this one.

Foggle

Quote from: GregX on September 29, 2015, 06:36:10 PM
Considering that Trump raped his ex-wife, I can't feel too bad for him about this one.
:whuh: :whuh: :whuh:

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on September 28, 2015, 12:59:27 PM
I also didn't like those parts of that earlier episode with Indiana Jones getting raped.
Wait.. what??

Oh, c'mon, Trey and Matt. Are you THAT desperate for ideas these days? :il_rope:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That episode aired YEARS ago. Not "these days." :humhumhum:

Lord Il

^Ah, it's a good thing you corrected me on that one, E-K. That episode must've missed me by a mile.

But still..  :zonk:

Nel_Annette

Yeah, it was around the time the fourth Indiana Jones movie came out, so that had to be a 2008/2009 episode.

Foggle

Yeah, it's a pretty forgettable episode despite being so uncomfortable. I actually forgot it even existed until the Trump one reminded me of it.

Daxdiv

As far as the Rape joke in the Indiana Jones episode was concerned, the joke mostly felt like that old saying of "MAI CHILDHOOD HAS BEEN RUINED/RAPED" with how that element was handled. I guess your mileage may vary depending on how you view those kinds of people and/or how you felt about Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I get the theme of this season, and I'm pretty sure that I have an idea of where it's headed.

The theme is basically how ridiculous the modern obsessions of our culture have gotten, from PC-extremists to self-entitled Internet critics (BTW, if you watched this week's episode on South Park Studios, every ad played was just a Yelp! commercial, which is fucking brilliant). Kyle even sums it up with his line of realization as to what's really going on: "It's all about them." What was interesting was that up until now, Trey and Matt seemed to be letting the clear antagonists win by the end of each episode, but the end of this episode hints that the worst of these people will be getting just what they deserve by the season's end. Of course, I could just be looking into it too much, but this seems to be the case.

Daxdiv

You might be onto something. That kinda has been the general theory floating around from what I've been noticing about this season. It does seem to be attacking internet/self-entitlement PC culture.

In fact, the 3rd episode about the gentrification of the McCormick's house was apparently supposed to be an example of what South Park would be like if it bowed down to complaints of the show so it could be more politically correct. Sure there were some hypocrisies in there, but that was part of the story/joke they were going for in that episode. Well, at least at the end of the episode, SoDoSoPa ended up going back to shit since they decided to give that Supermarket to that other part of town.