South Park

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Yesterday's episode might be my new favorite from the show, no hyperbole. Brilliant take down on people's desire for self-gratification but their inability to handle any form of criticism, wanting to be sheltered from any and all negativity even though such comments should be understood and accepted as a given in modern internet culture. Absolutely loved it. This season has just been incredible so far, and I think it's shaping up to be one of SP's best yet!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's my take on this season so far:

Personally, I think that the previous season was a tad funnier on an episode-to-episode basis. That said, while it started the whole continuity thread, it didn't really do anything with it until the very end.

This season to me is still great on an episode-to-episode basis, but maybe not quite as funny as the previous one. However, when looked at as a whole story arc with an overall connecting set of themes, it's much stronger in that regard. It's telling a great season-wide story that makes all of the jokes that we do get hit so much harder than ever before. On that ground, if the second half of this season is just as good, it could arguably be my favorite season of this show as well.

LumRanmaYasha

I never imagined they'd tackle yaoi, but this week's episode was hilarious! Tweek X Craig was always one of the most bizarrely popular ships for the show, so I was very amused to see them play with it here, and to use actual slash fanart of them in the episode to boot. I also liked that the ending of the episode was refreshingly more positive and feel-good, considering how cynical the rest of the episodes in this season have been. Cartman's subplot also revealed a lot of issues going on with him that I'd be pretty interested in seeing expanded upon down the line. Man, this season has just been on fire with ace episode after ace episode, and after the last three weeks, I'm half expecting my favorite episodes list to be half occupied with episodes from this season when it's finished with.  :D

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think that I bust a gut when watching this episode. :lol:

Daxdiv

I still can't believe the South Park crew went out of their way to ask the fans to submit yaoi fan art to be used in the show. Just imagine having to explain to your friends what yaoi is. I think I might just show them clips from this episode from now on. Still a pretty good episode

Daxdiv

Hoo wee! What an episode of South Park tonight. Looks like things are really starting to get into gear as far as the story is concerned.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Pretty clever of how the most minor running gag of this season is (apparently) a big plot point.

This episode felt a tad messy in terms of the plot since they crammed in three sub-plots instead of their usual two per episode, but it was a brilliant critique about the hypocrisy of these PC activists and SJWs, or really just people in general, always trying to blame their own mistakes on someone else, as well as turning their backs on the ideals that they preach the moment that they have to struggle through some problems in order to uphold them.

At the end of the episode, they get the cops to help them again by pretending to look the other way when minorities get abused since it suits their convenience. They'll only speak out against it to make themselves look good when it doesn't actually have any affect on their lives.

I'm really invested in seeing how this season ends.

Peanutbutter

Not even a big South Park fan, but I love this season. That plot twist was amazing, one of the biggest shocks I have ever gotten from TV. My jaw would have gone through the floor if I hadn't been laughing. Leslie being PC Principal's daughter and the fact they are somehow controlling everything will go down in future TV history lists, I'm sure.

The best part is realizing there's still three episodes left. There's a rerun after next week, but could we be in for another trilogy like The Coon and Black Friday?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Holy shit! I swear that this season just keeps getting better and better. Just when I think it may have peaked, it pulls out an episode like Sponsored Content, which is nothing short of brilliant. I almost couldn't stop laughing throughout the entire episode.

Peanutbutter

Yeah, it was great. Apparently, PC Principal isn't Leslie's dad, he's a living Internet commercial from the same ad as her. Glad they didn't use the Crab People, because they would be a cop-out. After years of non-use I never thought Barbrady would get to be the big hero; and then there's stuff being set up for Mr. Garrison and Principal Victoria.

Don't know how Kyle, Stan and the gang will be involved but the end of the season is going to be epic.

Daxdiv

Excellent attack on click-bait journalism. I even got a chuckle of BuzzFeed being a part of Stephen Stotch's nightmare of following links on the internet. Truly the greatest hightlight for me was probably that scene between Randy and Sharon with Sharon calling Randy out on his bullshit from this season with Randy being his PC/Tumblrina pointing out that saying he or she is a micro aggression. That and PC Principal getting unhinged as the episode went on due to not knowing how to deal with Handicap people and his fraternity being "attacked" by Jimmy.

Man, such a shame we gotta wait 2 weeks due to Thanksgiving, since who airs new stuff over Thanksgiving? :P But I have a feeling that this will all be worth it in the end and be even more epic than last season's finale.

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on November 19, 2015, 02:32:06 PM
Man, such a shame we gotta wait 2 weeks due to Thanksgiving, since who airs new stuff over Thanksgiving? :P But I have a feeling that this will all be worth it in the end and be even more epic than last season's finale.
They could do another Thanksgiving special!

I'm waiting until this season is over to marathon it. I still need to catch up on the last two as well, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

They could do a sattire on the commercialization of the Holiday season by greedy marketers, but then I realized that they already did that with the Black Friday trilogy two seasons ago.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Foggle on November 19, 2015, 04:46:12 PM
Quote from: Daxdiv on November 19, 2015, 02:32:06 PM
They could do another Thanksgiving special!

They do tend to make Thanksgiving one of their break weeks ever since they decided to make their seasons run for 10 episodes in the fall rather than diving them up by 7 in the Spring and then 7 again in the Fall. Normally, they only have 2 weeks, but this season we did have a break between Tweek x Craig and Naughty Ninjas for some reason. Dunno why, but speaking of which, I don't think we got a live-tweet of Naughty Ninjas due to the tragedy that happened in Paris. Took me a while to figure out why the 9:30 Repeat was the opener of the season, then it occurred to me like "Oh fuck! That's right! Paris was attack by ISIS. Boy do I feel stupid."

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on November 19, 2015, 04:57:55 PM
They could do a sattire on the commercialization of the Holiday season by greedy marketers, but then I realized that they already did that with the Black Friday trilogy two seasons ago.

Yeah, if you want to see them tackle Black Friday again, just rewatch the GoT satire they did two seasons ago. Still pretty relevant if you gloss over the kids deciding between PS4 or XBONE (Well, maybe a little bit since I do think since they have some age on them that having bundles or discounts on Black Friday right now wouldn't feel that out of place) or even the "ad" at the end where they "advertised" Stick of Truth.  According to South Park twitter feed, they said they used live action footage of Black Friday shoppers to just show how "sad" the whole Black Friday thing has gotten.

Foggle

Quote from: Daxdiv on November 19, 2015, 05:40:43 PM
Dunno why, but speaking of which, I don't think we got a live-tweet of Naughty Ninjas due to the tragedy that happened in Paris. Took me a while to figure out why the 9:30 Repeat was the opener of the season, then it occurred to me like "Oh fuck! That's right! Paris was attack by ISIS. Boy do I feel stupid."
Wow, so it aired during the attacks? That's horrifying. :whuh: Wasn't that episode partially making fun of ISIS, too? Super creepy.

QuoteStill pretty relevant if you gloss over the kids deciding between PS4 or XBONE
I feel like this will become relevant again in about four years, except next time it will be between the PS5 and Original Xbox. ;)