Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Last night was awesome. The use of vintage Nick spots was a great touch. I fast-forwarded through the All That episode, but watched the rest.

Alex Mack was nice as always. The effects certainly are dated, but the writing is fine and the characters are well-done. Really had a blast watching this one, and showing the "Alex Mack wears a hat" ad was awesome. Ren & Stimpy is... weird as fuck as always. Not very good ones by any stretch of the imagination, but I got a couple of chuckles out of it. And Are You Afraid of the Dark? was good too. I wouldn't say this one was a favorite, but I still had fun.

Tonight's looks like fun, too. I might even watch the All That ep again.

Speaking of AT, the best part of last night weren't the shows, or the use of old ads and ids in tact. It was the confirmation that starting Monday, they will be airing season 4 of All That. Talk about a way to ring in the new year.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

A couple of notes about the block.

-I'm going to miss the bumpers and promos being on there. That was a great twist that I'd like to see them bring back soon.
-Shelby Woo and Allen Strange are both okay. They're fine for what they are, even though Shelby Woo is pretty low-fi in quality and Allen Strange is a little too similar to Alex Mack in terms of execution, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of either show soon.
-Speaking of Alex Mack, I really wish they'd show it daily on the block now. It's such a good show.
-The finale was kind of a cop-out, though. I like how happy it is, but you could have seen the ending come a mile away, and there really doesn't seem to be much closure for it at all.
-The finale for Clarissa was surprisingly satisfying, on the other hand. You know how people complain that kids shows from back then didn't make "rewarding" finales? This is the obvious exception to the rule. I like how it wasn't shot in front of an audience, so no one would be spoiled, and that everyone got nice closure as they wrapped things up.
-Can not wait to watch season 4 of All That tonight
-Oh, and there's not going to be a U-Pick this week. They're just going to show another hour of Rugrats and Hey Arnold! instead. At least they're going to season 2 of Arnold though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Kiddington

Yeah, I agree on Alex Mack; it is quite a wonderful show. Humor wise, I also think it's held up a lot better than a number of other things around it from that time period. I mean, I find myself actually laughing while watching it (the writing is incredibly sharp), which surprisingly doesn't happen as often as I'd like while watching this block (Rugrats and Rocko are still great, and Hey Arnold's pretty good, but after those three it kinda starts to drop off pretty fast).

I've been pretty burned out on All That lately, but I will give Season 4 a shot tonight since they're finally changing things up. This is considered the series peak, so hopefully it still holds up.

Avaitor

I still think Clarissa and Salute Your Shorts are pretty funny, but my mileage does vary with just about everything else. I think the characters in Alex Mack are just so sharp, that it all gels together well.

New blog!

Kiddington

Oh, I actually forgot about Clarissa (not even sure why, although I will admit that I haven't been watching it lately). But yeah, I still enjoy that for the most part. It holds up pretty well.

Salute Your Shorts, though... I dunno. It's definitely nostalgic - I still love that opening theme - but I'm not sure how much I really enjoy watching it (which, admittedly, hasn't been very much; I've only seen it a couple of times on the block). What I've seen of it feels awfully dated, and I didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I used to. I will give it the benefit of the doubt, though, because again, I haven't seen a whole lot of it (maybe 2-3 episodes, at the most).

Everything else I'm just pretty burned out on; All That, K&K, and ESPECIALLY Doug. I'd still buy DVD sets if they ever did decide to release such a thing, but I'd need a long break before I ever decide to give these respective series another shot.

Avaitor

I dunno, I still really like SYS. To me, it's Hey Dude done right. Similar idea, similar execution, similar set of characters, just done with more effort and sharper writing. It is definitely juvenile and it's no Seinfeld, but I still really enjoy all that I see of it again.

As for Kenan & Kel, I think my biggest problem with it is Kel. He's just so fucking stupid, and honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that he is in a dangerous way than a funny way. Like how he constantly ignores the most obvious things and runs into things to make even bigger messes. It's beyond obnoxious and borders on psychologically terrifying. Kenan's not a very lovable guy himself, but I can barely stand Kel now.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Kel's idiocy is starting to get on my nerves as well. Sure I laugh at his idiocy from time to time  but there are times where I wonder why he isn't in the remedial classes, then I remember that episode where he got a high IQ. I can still tolerate All That and I love the fact that we're in Season 4, I forgot this was the season with the little black kid. I guess they needed a cute boy on the show.

Avaitor

No U-Pick again this week. The FB page said that Stick would be "taking some time off", but I was only expecting them to mean like a week.

Ah well, I don't really mind, since I'm back to watching at least one thing a night again.

New blog!

Avaitor

U-Pick returns in two weeks. About time, haha.

This time it's Rocko vs. Angry Beavers. I'm going with Rocko, since I'm still not big on the Beavers.

New blog!

Daxdiv

In before you complain about the Rocko episodes already being on DVD. :P

Bout time it returned. I started to miss UPick Line up, even if does feel like it's fixed from time to time cause I felt like that this part added more variety to what is known as Nick's poor repeating schedule.

Avaitor

Actually, scanning through the eps they chose, none of them are on season 1. I'm too lazy to see if any of the rest are on season 2 or if any of the Angry Beavers ones are on DVD though.

New blog!

Angus

Victorious did an extended parody of The Breakfast Club for an episode. It totally flew over my little pups' heads.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Oh, so Rocko won for this week. They're going to air 2 full hours of it each day this weekend.

Pretty freaking awesome IMO.

New blog!

Avaitor

The page is asking which show you'd want to see in an upcoming U-Pick. The choices are between CatDog, Salute Your Shorts, The Wild Thornberrys, and Rocket Power.

SYS gets my vote, no contest. Although Rocket Power is winning atm...

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on February 11, 2012, 11:52:38 AM
Although Rocket Power is winning atm...
All of my vomit. Hated that show. :whuh: