Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

For some reason, we're in the minority, since it's really popular among nostalgics. I seem to be one of the only people in my couple of circles of friends that didn't like it, and it gets a lot of requests on the FB page and Twitter.

I don't know why, though. I thought it was stupid then, and watching some of it now, I dislike it even more.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rynnec

Rocket Power is one of those shows where you can only like it as a kid, but don't care much for as an adult. And if you hated it as a kid, you're still going to hate it as an adult.

The show has absolutely nothing beneath its surface for adults to like.

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on February 11, 2012, 11:58:18 AM
For some reason, we're in the minority, since it's really popular among nostalgics. I seem to be one of the only people in my couple of circles of friends that didn't like it, and it gets a lot of requests on the FB page and Twitter.

I don't know why, though. I thought it was stupid then, and watching some of it now, I dislike it even more.

Quoting an old post here because I'm bored and can't sleep, but, uh... yeah, CatDog is pretty much the same way, as far as I can tell. Any time classic Nick gets brought up in a conversation, I always hear people say how much they love that show, and I... I just don't see the appeal.

I mean, my 8 year old self liked it, but my 20 year old self finds the flaws to be far too overbearing; the writing is incredibly childish and unfunny, and the characters are all extremely unlikeable (which, really, is kinda surprising for a kids show). Cat is a dick (although I will say, Jim Cummings does a fantastic job on the voice, as always), Dog is annoying, and the supporting cast blows. The Greaser Dogs especially; they're in nearly every episode that I can remember, and they're about as boring, predictable, and stereotypical as it gets.

There is nothing interesting about this show at all, and yet people all look back on it in such fond remembrance. I almost wonder if anyone who claims they like it has even seen it now that they're 10 or so years older, or they're just remembering how funny it was to them as a kid. Hard to believe any rational adult could find enjoyment in this, but I suppose if people like Rocket Power (which is about 1000 times worse), I guess anything is possible.

Avaitor

Yeah, there really isn't much to CatDog at all. Gross-out cartoons were popular at the time, and there were a lot of puke, shit, junk and hairball jokes in the show to keep kid's attention. Although it doesn't seem as universally beloved in my circle as Rocket Power does.

Funny that you bump this thread though, since I am really getting tired of the block. The schedule really needs a change. I'm fine with Rugrats and Hey Arnold!, since they still have a good amount of episodes left to air (even though Rugrats has now just started the Dil episodes- blah). But All That (which only got the rights back to season 4 and has been repeating ever since they finished), Kenan & Kel and Doug need to take a breather. I refuse to believe that airing the same eps of thee shows over and over again will do better than trying just about anything else in their places.

And they need to make some new bumpers and ads. I'm tired of the same ones airing every night. They should bring back the original, unaltered ids and bumpers that they pulled out or New Years. That was incredible.

Also, it's fucking stupid that U-Pick has only aired once this year. Does it really cost that much to make new Stick Stickley sketches? If so, just skip them and air the shows voted on. Anything would be better than watching the same episodes of each show again and again and again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

New U-Pick is up. This time it's CatDog vs Salute Your Shorts, and like last time, the winner will air for a full weekend.

SYS gets my vote, no contest.

New blog!

Kiddington

I actually haven't seen CatDog on the block much yet, if at all. Of course, I haven't really been paying attention to it for quite a long time now, for obvious reasons.

...but yeah, SYS gets my vote as well. I really do want to give this show a fair shake, and I haven't seen it in a while (few months, at least), so maybe this time it'll strike more of a chord with me. You already know my feelings about CatDog anyway, so there's nothing new to see there.

Avaitor

CatDog has been on a U-Pick or two, but it actually hasn't aired on the block at all.

Not a big loss, IMO.

Edit: Also, damn.

New blog!

Commode

Weird.  They should bring back Lori-Beth Denberg, she was the best part of the show.

I kinda want to see another iteration of Double Dare, to be honest.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

If anything, I'd like to see a new Legends. But a new Double Dare would be good, too.

New blog!

Avaitor

Y'no, I don't like CatDog, but I'd love to check this out IRL.

Speaking of CatDog, I  really do hope that SYS beats it. Really, the only time I'd vote for it is if it was up against Rocket Power or any of the shows that already air every week. I'd even vote for the crap like Cousin Skeeter ahead of CD just out of curiosity.

New blog!

Commode

Where's this at?  And is it actually inhabitable?  Seems a little small.

I always wanted to check out the IRL Simpsons house in Vegas, but I think the house has long since been stripped of anything related to the show.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

I notice a Slime Time poster in the background, so probably somewhere in Orlando or the LA/Hollywood area. If it's even still there.

New blog!

Rynnec

Y'know, I actually wouldn't mind if Catdog and/or Cousin Skeeter found their way onto the block, just for a change of pace.

Rocket Power however, can stay away. Far, far away.

Kiddington

I have to admit, that is pretty cool... although I highly doubt it still exists; that looks like a pretty old picture (Slime Time Live poster in the background indicates this would be circa 2002-ish, unless they just left it up for whatever reason after all these years, which seems likely).

That leads me to a question; I've never been to any of the Nick theme parks, so to those that have, do they ever keep any of their old attractions to past shows running after they've been cancelled? I do remember reading that they closed the Jimmy Neutron ride in Orlando last summer, meaning that particular instance did outlast its series by about five years, but other than that, it sounds like most of these rides are packed in the day their respective series is off the air. Again though, I wouldn't know, as I've never been to any of these parks.

Quote from: Comeau on March 09, 2012, 05:51:04 PM
I always wanted to check out the IRL Simpsons house in Vegas, but I think the house has long since been stripped of anything related to the show.

Before:

After (taken around 2007 or so):

Yeah, you'd be right about that; there's not much to see there now. Looks like an ordinary house in an ordinary suburb.

Avaitor

Quote from: Kiddington on March 11, 2012, 02:05:50 PM
That leads me to a question; I've never been to any of the Nick theme parks, so to those that have, do they ever keep any of their old attractions to past shows running after they've been cancelled? I do remember reading that they closed the Jimmy Neutron ride in Orlando last summer, meaning that particular instance did outlast its series by about five years, but other than that, it sounds like most of these rides are packed in the day their respective series is off the air. Again though, I wouldn't know, as I've never been to any of these parks.
I've only ever been to Universal Studios and the Nickelodeon Hotel in Orlando in the past couple of years, but it seems like a yes and no thing.

Yeah, Jimmy Neutron lasted for a while, and they were playing clips from Avatar and CatScratch in line when I went about 2 years ago. But the last time I went to the resort area back in November, just about all the SpongeBob and Dora merch that used to be sold around the parks were gone, so I guess they got rid of it fast.

And I checked out the Nick Hotel a year before the last time I went to Universal Studios, and there was surprisingly a lot of somewhat older Nick stuff around. The outside of the Hotel has characters from Rugrats, Rocket Power, Wild Thornberrys and As Told by Ginger painted throughout, and there's still a lot of Rugrats and Blue's Clues stuff to be found inside. When you walk into the restaurant/gift shop island, you can see giant water fountains with Tommy and Chuckie on a boat and Eliza on an elephant in this lake area, and you can still get a fair amount of Rugrats merchandise in the gift shop. There were even plaques dedicated to some of Nick's old game shows and Weinerville alongside the bathrooms in restaurant area.

But it has been a couple of years since I went, so they may have got rid of a lot of this. There was also a lot of Jimmy Neutron and FOP stuff around the Hotel, so it could use a bit of updating.

New blog!