Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Here's an upcoming game called Scorn.

Greatest artistic design I've ever seen in the medium. This is truly superb.

gunswordfist

Can't argue with that. I wonder what the full experience will be like.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Mustang

Lost Soul Aside

Has anyone seen this yet?

I know I'm pretty late to some of this stuff since I don't follow much anymore, but this just happened to pop up on my youtube recommendation and as far as I know the progress of the game has been done by 1 person.

I'm not going to question how credible it is that one person did all of that, but if that happens to be true I'm definitely gonna start questioning a lot of developers from here on out.

As for the game itself. I'm sold. I don't care how corny the story may be. The way the game plays is aching to what I can get behind and support. Nothing against indie games, but if this is what they'll look like I'd start supporting them.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

All Eyez on me and I'ma send it straight up to Pac
Sweet Chin music and I'll never past da Ox

gunswordfist

Mustang

So here's a few questions.

Are you getting a PS4 Pro or are you thinking about getting one?
Do you already have a PS4? What could make you upgrade to the PRO?

I'm currently listening to an Easy Allies podcast and they're talking about the Pro/Scorpio etc, and am currently staring at my PS4 wondering why would I bother getting the Pro? Especially when this generation of games, for the most part has been nothing but remasters (I don't particularly mind it but still) with a few new games every now and then. The talk a frames is moot to me (I enjoy the Musou games for crying out loud and seeing enemies pop up randomly don't bother me).
Not to mention I play fighting games and dabble with the Uncharteds, Metal Gears, etc every now and then, so for me at the moment I have no intention to upgrade (especially hearing that you might need to upgrade your tv and such, but I'm not remotely clear on what I heard there.)
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Nel_Annette

I'd consider it if I had a 4K television, but I'm pretty happy with what I have now. Hell, I only got it back in June 2015.

Rynnec

Nothing I've heard about the Pro is endearing me to it, nor is it making me regret purchasing a regular PS4. I'm enjoying this current gen, and every game I played so far has been solid, but most of the hype I'm seeing for the PRO are just miniscule performance boosts. Most of the PS4 games I own/am planning on playing are JRPG's, fighting games, and Musou/character action games, and only the latter is something that really benefits from a performance upgrade.

Foggle

My TV is so old that it doesn't do 1080p and the PS4 crops the screen's edges off with no recourse, so I doubt I'd benefit from the Pro's 4K technology. :il_hahaha:

Peanutbutter

Have you guys heard about Cuphead? Its a cool looking game that has 2D animation in the style of old 1930s cartoons! As someone that grew up watching Popeye as well as Buddy and Bosco cartoons on Nick this game looks insane! Only downside so far is its PC and Xbox exclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TjUPXAn2Rg

gunswordfist

My online friends just started a Kickstarter for their game, Beard Blade https://t.co/6Havc6Kmfw They have been working on this 2D platformer for awhile now. It takes inspiration from a lot of SNES and GBA titles. That and because you couldn't find nicer game devs-from how easy they are to talk to to them being the ones who gave me a Triforce Heroes demo code without me even asking is why I plan on making their Kickstarter the first I will ever back. Edit: You get a digital copy of the game, when it is released, if you pledge $10 or more. They also have Wario Land, Ristar and Yoshi's Island listed as the game's main influences.

Mustang

Dragonball Xenoverse 2. Not much of a fan of the anime anymore but I am looking forward to this game. I don't want to say "it's sad" that this is the game I've been looking forward the most, but I'd think it's pretty telling what my opinion on this gen have been like so far when this game is the game that's been getting me hype.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The little that I tried of the first Xenoverse was enough to turn me off from the series, personally. It just felt way too clunky in terms of controls and responsiveness, and the combat felt as shallow and bare-bones as you could possibly get (then again, I have been spoiled by way too many other action, adventure, and fighting games to expect that level of technical-prowess in the past few years). I personally prefer the style of fighting game combat that we had with the DBZ Budokai fighting games developed by Dimps (yes, I know that they also developed Xenoverse, but the mechanics are completely different and watered down). It's a shame since this is the same developer that brought us Street Fighter 4 and 5, which despite what anyone thinks about them, are undeniably something to be categorized as "technical" fighters rather than casual, though which I think manage to find a happy-medium in-between to still be fun for casual play. Granted, I understand that the whole point of a DBZ game is to appeal to the casual crowd, but even so, I liked it more when they put at least a bit more depth into its mechanics to make the games interesting to play and get a little bit better at rather than just mash buttons the whole way through.

On another note, I always far preferred the Dragonball manga to the anime (having re-read it last year, it still holds up incredibly well, except for the Cell arc, IMO), but I do think it's worth noting that the current arc of Dragon Ball Super is easily the best thing to come out of the franchise since the manga ended. It has its flaws, but I'm liking it way more than 95% of the other anime-original content that I've seen from other Weekly Shonen Jump properties. It figures that this game is trying to shoehorn bonus content from the current arc of DBS into the game since it's resonating so well with fans and could probably help them sell a few thousand more copies.

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 09, 2016, 01:47:35 PM
The little that I tried of the first Xenoverse was enough to turn me off from the series, personally. It just felt way too clunky in terms of controls and responsiveness, and the combat felt as shallow and bare-bones as you could possibly get (then again, I have been spoiled by way too many other action, adventure, and fighting games to expect that level of technical-prowess in the past few years). I personally prefer the style of fighting game combat that we had with the DBZ Budokai fighting games developed by Dimps (yes, I know that they also developed Xenoverse, but the mechanics are completely different and watered down). It's a shame since this is the same developer that brought us Street Fighter 4 and 5, which despite what anyone thinks about them, are undeniably something to be categorized as "technical" fighters rather than casual, though which I think manage to find a happy-medium in-between to still be fun for casual play. Granted, I understand that the whole point of a DBZ game is to appeal to the casual crowd, but even so, I liked it more when they put at least a bit more depth into its mechanics to make the games interesting to play and get a little bit better at rather than just mash buttons the whole way through.

You are right to say the controls and responsiveness are clunky. They are indeed clunky, but in terms of combat, that all depends on how much of the game you actually played. The game opens up more once you start unlocking more moves, so when you say "shallow/barebones" I get it, but at the same time you gotta work to get what you want. The way I've been told to play Xenoverse is your first playthrough focus on unlocking the moves and story (if you want), 2nd playthrough the gates open up (focus on your character and/or stats).

It's been a long time since I've played the Budokai games but from what I can remember of it the control scheme is essentially the same. I'd say it's more of a combination of both Budokai and Tenkaichi whereas you have a punch, kick, jump, and a ki blast button from Budokai and in Tenkaichi I think you're holding the trigger buttons to gain access to your signatures and whatnot (Correct me on this since I never cared for the Tenkaichi games).

While Xenoverse's mechanics isn't what I'd call "deep" I'd certainly say they are deeper than that of Budokai's, but they only work when playing against another human opponent lol. Trying to do some of these techniques against the computer is like trying to jump in on Ryu on the hardest difficulty setting. Now I'm not saying it's the best game ever, in fact it's rather average, but I do like how rewarding things feel once you get what you worked so hard to get.

Slap the hell outta whoever said that Street Fighter 4 and 5 aren't technical games. They may not be as technical as GG, BB or KoF but they are technical fighters.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, like I said, to be fair I've been spoiled too much by games like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Tekken, Street Fighter, etc. :P

I'm sure the game opens up more avenues when you unlock more stuff, but my attention span has grown so slim these days that I just can't stand grinding for stuff anymore, which is why I've played so few RPGs since the last console generation.

Mustang

I hear ya. If anything, I probably should've posted that in the "Things that Bother You" thread, but I was trying to kill 2 birds.
3S - Ken, Yang
USF4 - Cody, Yun
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol