Most Anticipated Video Games

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

They just look at a success story like Angry Birds and immediately believe that's where the money and audience is going. They completely ignore the segmented audience, and the completely different purposes Tablets and Handhelds offer to the typical consumer. Yes, you can get away with selling games on digital distribution platforms for less than 5 bucks and make a crapload of money. But that usually never happens because the low price tells a consumer the product isn't actually worth buying. They see it as an impulse buy at first glance, and will continue to do so unless a word of mouth push helps it grow in popularity.

As for the Vita's success, it'll all depend on how well Sony supports it. The PSP did fairly well for itself in the 7 years it was on the market, even if it faded from the public's eye shortly after the 7th generation really kicked off. My biggest fear is that the 2 new handhleds will sacrifice the appeal of handheld gaming just to make it easier for lazy companies to port modern games to the system, in turn making the entire product look like a scaled down console to the average customer. I want to keep playing my offbeat games on the go, not a portable version of whatever series they want to push.

Spark Of Spirit

That's essentially why I didn't want dual analog sticks for the 3DS and was disappointed when the Vita was announced to have them. I'm not interested in playing a BioShock game on a handheld, the genre wasn't made for that. Now the same genres that flood the consoles have a good chance of flooding handhelds, which I really don't want.

Give me games like Rhythm Thief, Pushmo, Shadow Wars, Mighty Switch Force, Shinobi, and Super Mario 3D Land over another freaking Uncharted any day.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 02, 2012, 12:03:43 PM
Give me games like Rhythm Thief, Pushmo, Shadow Wars, Mighty Switch Force, Shinobi, and Super Mario 3D Land over another freaking Uncharted any day.
To be honest, I'd much rather have quality, niche titles such as those on home consoles/PC over portables. I haven't used my DS in over a year and my PSP only sees a few hours of usage per three weeks because I hate hunching over a tiny screen when I play video games.

Seriously, they should put stuff like that on Steam, too. Nothing but good would come of it.

gunswordfist

Dual sticks? FUCK YEAH! I don't give a fuck about ports anyway so I'll just continue to ignore them. Single sticks suck.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Anyone else been reading up on Code of Princess?

It's a 3DS beat em up based on the illustrations of Kinu Nishimoto, one of my favorite Capcom artists. Looks like a pretty fun game, and it might have multiplayer based on the number of playable characters.

Spark Of Spirit

I was interested until I learned it was being made by the people who made Guardian Heroes which is in my opinion the most overrated beat em up ever made and one of Treasure's worst games. They'll really have to have learned a lot to make me interested in it, because that game is grossly overrated.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 11, 2012, 12:06:53 PM
I was interested until I learned it was being made by the people who made Guardian Heroes which is in my opinion the most overrated beat em up ever made and one of Treasure's worst games. They'll really have to have learned a lot to make me interested in it, because that game is grossly overrated.
:wth:

Spark Of Spirit

I said Guardian Heroes, not Gunstar Heroes.  ;)

The game's boring. Every level is the same, the story is ridiculous which is made worse because they focus so much on it, the combat system is shallow and purely reliant on corner juggling, the leveling system is a joke, the bosses are pointless cakewalks, and there's like 2 types of enemies in the entire game.

It's a letdown.

Certainly not on par with classics like Gunstar Heroes, Astro Boy, Radiant Silvergun, or Mischief Makers.

gunswordfist

You made it sound like you played it before when you were hyping it up like crazy.

Anyway, the game is on the top of my list of XBLA games I want. I mean, it can't be shittier than Gunstar Super Heroes, can it?!  :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

No, I didn't play it before. Mostly that was just hype since I was a Treasure and beat em up fan and it was a game I had never played before. To put that in perspective I never played Radiant Silvergun before either, but the XBLA port made me a fan and I'm not much of a shmup fan. GH surprised me by how much it got wrong and very little it got right.

And yes, it's worse than GSH since at least that game has actual level design and ideas beyond "straight line, fight same enemy 5 times, end level" over and over.

gunswordfist

I'm still anti-platforming for beat em ups. :sly:

That reminds me, I still have some Treasure games to beat (Except GSH, fuck you gold robot.) I've only played the Radiant Silvergun demo and the most I've seen of Mischief Makers was on youtube.

Foggle

Old, I know, but I just found out about it... Looks more like what I expected from Borderlands 1 than what was delivered. If Gearbox is somehow able to release this game, Colonial Marines, AND Furious Four this year, they will become the new gods of co-op FPS gaming.

gunswordfist

Foggle

gunswordfist