Cow & Chicken/I Am Weasel

Started by Avaitor, June 28, 2011, 06:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

It's funny, I've actually been rewatching some of the show thanks to Boomerang on Demand. It still holds up alright, but I have a bit of a problem with Chicken. Sometimes he's too much of an asshole to hold the show, and can be horrible to Cow for no good reason.

Besides that, it's a funny show. A lot of jokes I'm surprised that they got away with, but I'm grateful that they did. I remember a great tampon reference in the first episode that I don't think even Dan Schneider could put in iCarly or Victorious now, for one thing.

And I'm glad that Boom puts Weasel back in, since I can't watch one without the other. When they cut the Weasels shorts into their own episodes and made C&C stand-alone in the early aughts, it didn't work at all IMO.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, like I've said, to me this is the best "typical" or "generic" show that CN had. There was nothing outright special about what it did, but everything it did, it did right and it was well written.

Also, this is the one show I don't mind when the guy gets dumped on (Chicken) because he totally deserves it most of the time.

I agree with the I Am Weasel segments. They work best in contrast with the C&C parts.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

I love this show, and am eternally wishing for that long overdue DVD release(come on WHV).  It's funny, the show gets compared to Ren and Stimpy quite a bit(which actually is a fair assessment), but unlike R&S, I can watch more than a couple episodes without finding fault with it.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, my schtick is saying that Cow & Chicken is Ren & Stimpy done right, and I think it still works. They're both gross out shows, but Cow & Chicken has a lot more variety and clever writing to go with it and is less reliant on boring visual gags that go nowhere most of the time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I'd love for a release of the show, but Warner is being really bad with it's shows. The Hall of Fame seems to have tanked and it looks like there's little interest in archiving the CN shows. I'd settle for wider availability of Boomerang, but that still has yet to happen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Eddy

I too am surprised at how well Cow & Chicken holds up. I forgot how well done it was. Like Desensitized said, it doesn't particularly do anything special, but it doesn't need to. It was just a very well done "gross out" cartoon.

And I agree about I.M. Weasel. It just didn't work when they tried separating the two.

Mr. Big

I maintain that the best part of either cartoons was the Red Guy. He pretty much stole the show whenever he appeared.

HELLO, IT'S ME!

Eddy

The Red Guy is hilarious. It's always great to see him show up in episodes of both Cow & Chicken and I Am Weasel with some new kind of job or profession.

Nameless

I've always felt this show to be unfairly maligned.

It isn't as good as its brethren and I find it to be held up almost entirely by the Red Guy, the tall tale nature of I Am Weasel, and David Feiss's art style (it's not very smoothly-animated here, and he seemed to account for it by making it look rougher, but the original "No Smoking" short is a thing of beauty), but it's not exactly terrible, in my view. Your thoughts?

LumRanmaYasha

Cow and Chicken was a show I absolutely loved when I was a kid. Having rewatched a fair amount of times on Boomerang as an adult, I still think it's a fun show, but a bit more hit and miss, sometimes the overracting being kind of grating to me, and generally I don't really laugh at it as much as I'd like to. There are several episodes that still hold up very strongly to me, though, and the Red Guy and Weasel, and Feiss' art style make the show for me even in otherwise lamer installments, so I still find it fun to watch occasionally.

Commode

This was already a topic, so now the two threads are one!

Love the show, was watching it on Netflix recently until it was taken down.  Every now and then I catch an episode on Boomerang, although I dare say it doesn't quite get the love that Dexter and PPG get on the channel's schedule.

Nameless

I thought about this show because Boomerang is removing it from their schedule.

I've heard that it's much more popular in Europe than it ever has been in America, so it tends to get shafted here.

And yes, how did I forget? Chicken's meanness can be excessive and annoying at times.

Dr. Insomniac

Charlie Adler's a good voice actor, but his voices in the show were more nerve-wrecking than a court martial.

LumRanmaYasha

Cow and Chicken has been a part of Boomerang's regular schedule since 2005, so I think giving it a short break is fine and I'd expect it to return to the schedule at some point down the line. It is only natural that DL, PPG, and to an extent JB get more plays on there considering they are the more popular titles among CN's various originals.

Commode

Quote from: Nameless on June 02, 2014, 01:38:42 AM
I thought about this show because Boomerang is removing it from their schedule.
Huh, well that's lame.  And Ed, Edd, n Eddy is already getting bumped off?  They just added them not too long ago, although as far as I know they only aired them from 12-1 am.

And I don't know about the Europe popularity, but I do remember watching a decent amount of the show when I was in Bahrain a few years back, the CN there did air it quite a bit.