Manga Mavericks

Started by LumRanmaYasha, April 07, 2016, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

How would you (either of you) have made suggestions to tighten the pacing? It remains the #1 issue with the series that even fans will admit to.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks for the question! Glad I checked before we started recording.  :)

LumRanmaYasha

We're recording the next Manga Mavericks today at 2pm EST with special guest Casey "MinovskyArticle", a comics connoisseur who's best known on twitter for live-blogging a complete read-through of One Piece from beginning to present in the span of one month. However, we're bringing him on the show as a fan of horror manga in particular, and we'll discuss with him his picks for the best horror manga out there to read this Halloween season. If you guys have any horror manga related questions for us or Casey to answer on the show, post them here!

Also, though we've recorded the Manga Fight, I felt that I still had more to say about InuYasha, so Vlord and I will be recording a bonus special retrospective on the series this friday where we'll each list our top 10 favorite moments from the series as well as reflect upon it's legacy. If you guys have any more InuYasha-related questions for us, we'd love to answer them!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Unfortunately I'm not well-versed in either horror manga or Inu-Yasha, so I won't really be able to come up with much to say, here.

I do plan on reading more works from Junji Ito in the future, though, and eventually I will one day read the works of Rumiko Takahashi, but I won't get to Inu-Yasha until after I read R1/2, MI, and UY.

Spark Of Spirit

Oh, I would have asked about Black Museum and Kazuhiro Fujita since it just came out.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 30, 2016, 11:31:41 AM
Unfortunately I'm not well-versed in either horror manga or Inu-Yasha, so I won't really be able to come up with much to say, here.

I do plan on reading more works from Junji Ito in the future, though, and eventually I will one day read the works of Rumiko Takahashi, but I won't get to Inu-Yasha until after I read R1/2, MI, and UY.

Well, do make sure to listen to our episode with Casey then, because in addition to going over Junji Ito's body of work he makes some very good horror recommendations that I think would be up a lot of people's alley on here. He's really a big fan and incredibly knowledgeable on horror as a genre across several mediums, including literature and film, so I think his tastes and recommendations when it comes to horror manga are particularly refined and valuable.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 30, 2016, 05:39:04 PM
Oh, I would have asked about Black Museum and Kazuhiro Fujita since it just came out.

Man, I wish you had mentioned that to us before we recorded because we never ended up bringing Fujita or BM up! We're sure to have Casey on the show again in the future though, so I'll see if Fujita's manga is something he'd be interested in discussing down the line.

gunswordfist

Your signature leaves me speechless in all the right ways.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks! It's one of my favorites I've made so far.  ;D

gunswordfist

I can see why! I can't stop looking at it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Our InuYasha 20th anniversary retrospective and our InuYasha Manga Fight with Josh Dunham are up!

In our InuYasha retrospective, VlordGTZ and I run down the history of the series from it's conception, development, and history in North America, answer some Q&As asked by fans on Reddit, and run down our top 10 favorite moments from the series!

In our InuYasha Manga Fight, Josh and I debate on a variety of InuYasha-related topics, including what was the most pointless plot detour, how we'd pitch the series as a live-action film, whether we prefer the manga or the anime, and of course, who InuYasha should have really ended up with...

Enjoy!  ;D

LumRanmaYasha

New episode! This week we spend a good hour discussing our new favorite manga, Ajin: Demi-Human, a series that contemplates on unique existential and moral questions and also happens to be a fucking badass action series. Other topics of discussion include the RWBY manga, Love Rush's cancellation, whether we'd actually recommend watching/reading Keijo!!!!!!!!, and a whole lot more!

Our next regular episode will be out on December 7th, and we'll be joined by special guest Maxy Barnard, host of the excellent Shonen Jump-centric podcast Friendship! Effort! Victory! We'll be discussing the state of Shonen Jump as of 2016, as well as Toriko in light of it's recent conclusion, and we're also planning to record a Manga Fight on the series with Maxy that should come out on December 14th. If you have any questions or debate topics for us about Shonen Jump or Toriko you'd like to see us discuss with Maxy on the show, post them in this thread or e-mail them to us at mangamavericks@gmail.com!

In other news, the show now has both official twitter and tumblr accounts, so definitely make sure to follow us on those sites if you want to get regular updates from us about new episodes or are future plans for the show!

LumRanmaYasha

Reminder that we're recording our overview of the state of Weekly Shonen Jump in 2016 and our Toriko retrospective and Manga Fight this sunday! If you guys have any questions to ask or topics you'd like us to cover on those or any recent newsbits, feel free to post them in this thread or e-mail them to us at mangamavericks@gmail.com!

Spark Of Spirit

I'd just generally like to hear what you guys thought were the best and worst new series that Jump started running this year.

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks for the question Spark!  :)

We're about to record in half an hour, but if any of you guys manage to post your questions in this thread or e-mail them to us before 12pm EST, then we'll still be able to answer them, so don't delay!