Currently Running Manga Discussion

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 30, 2010, 12:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #25 (May 18th, 2017):
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (Cover, Lead CP)
1. My Hero Academia
2. The Promised Neverland
3. Black Clover
4. Dr. Stone
Haikyu!! (CP)
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
6. Spring Weapon No. 1
Yuna of Yuragi Manor (CP)
7. Hinomaru Zumou
8. Samon the Summoner
Watashi no Cherry Boyfriend (CP, One Shot)
9. Robot x Laserbeam
10. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
11. We Never Learn
12. Hungry Marie
13. Gintama
14. U19
15. Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Hinomaru Zumou is getting the cover next week (it's been a while!) and KnY is getting another color page as is Food Wars. It does appear that of the six new series the only one doing phenomenally well is Dr. Stone. But WNL continues to hang in the middle and Kuroko also didn't place high near the beginning so not much surprise there. We should be getting ready for a new serialization round soon so we'll shortly being saying goodbye to U19 and Poro. Samon had an odd boost, but that might be due to it apparently wrapping up so who knows. Either way, no real surprises this week.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Shonen Jump circulation drops below 2 million.

Cue the sky is falling folks not taking into account that digital sales are an unknown factor and every single print magazine has dropped.

But no, this must be because they canceled Bleach or something.

EDIT: Notice that Sunday had a bit of a boost in popularity and sales a year ago? That was about the time Souboutei started. Interesting then that it still gets no coverage.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

VLordGTZ

But Spark, CLEARLY this is a sign that One Piece's popularity is declining and Jump is dying as a result!  :>

In all seriousness, this is more than likely due to the shift towards digital sales.  From what I understand, Sunday and WSM both sell particularly better digitally now, so Jump's sales are also probably starting to follow that trend.

It's good to see that RxL's first ranking is decent since I've been enjoying the manga a lot.  Dr. Stone seems to be the standout hit of the Jump Starts, which isn't too big of a surprise considering its strong premise and Boichi's spectacular art.  From what I've heard, recent developments in Samon have made people suspect that the series might continue on longer than initially expected, so it's anyone's guess to when it will actually end.  It's hard for me to imagine it lasting past this year though, considering that its volume sales aren't that good.  Poro and U19 are definitely going to get canned when the next round of Jump Starts come.  Even though Hungry Marie isn't doing that great, I suspect that Jump might keep it around a little longer in hope that it garners some more interest.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (May 25th, 2017):
Hinomaru Zumou (Cover, Lead CP, 3rd Anniversary)
1. My Hero Academia
2. One Piece
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction (CP)
3. Robot×Laserbeam
4. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
Alice to Taiyou (CP, One Shot)
5. Black Clover
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
6. Promised Neverland
7. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
8. Haikyu!!
9. We Never Learn
10. Gintama
11. Dr. Stone
12. Samon the Summoner
13. Spring Weapon No. 1
14. Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
15. Hungry Marie
16. U19
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Black Clover gets the cover next week and Dr. Stone, We Never Learn, and Boruto are getting color pages next week. I guess its a sign that those two will be sticking around for a while. No sign on cancellations yet, but I'd have to imagine Poro and U19 are the first out. I think RxL, DS, and WNL, are the three that will last for at least a little while.

LumRanmaYasha

Someone is finally scanlating Soubotei Must Be Destroyed! Only the first chapter has been done so far, but hopefully they'll continue. I haven't had a chance to properly read it yet but I wanted to share it with you guys asasp.  ;)

Spark Of Spirit

"The following tale begins and ends with a single house. This is the story of a haunted mansion."

Yep, it's Fujita. Fairy tale storytelling in a shonen package. I'm grateful that someone has finally got around to translating it. Now hopefully this will spread around and get people interested.

EDIT: Now that was a great first chapter. Really packed and exciting start. Already I want more.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #27 (June 1st, 2017):
Black Clover (Cover, Lead CP)
1. One Piece
Dr. Stone (CP)
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
4. Haikyu!!
Boruto (CP)
5. My Hero Academia
We Never Learn (CP)
6. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Soma
7. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
8. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
9. Hinomaru Zumou
Samon the Summoner (END)
10. Robot x Laserbeam
11. Gintama
12. Hungry Marie
13. Spring Weapon No. 1
14. Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
15. U19

There are two new series starting this round with HxH returning soon after. This means in addition to Samon ending here, U19 and Poro will also probably be ending next. Also, Yuna, Robot, and Promised Neverland will be getting a colored page next week.

The two new series are by the creator of Straighten Up! (yes, already!) and Tokyo Wonder Boys. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with next.

Still no word on World Trigger.  :-\

Spark Of Spirit

Top selling manga series of the first half of 2017 in Japan:

1. One Piece (5,969,851)
2. Attack on Titan (3,974,437)
3. Kingdom (3,244,618)
4. Haikyu!! (3,086,097)
5. Tokyo Ghoul:re (2,154,752)
6. My Hero Academia (2,097,088)
7. One-Punch Man (1,982,356)
8. The Seven Deadly Sins (1,881,062)
9. Detective Conan (1,653,403)
10. Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (1,469,092)

Other notables down the list include World Trigger (it's been on hiatus all 2017!), and DAYS apparently getting a good bump from the anime. As for individual volumes, Promised Neverland's first two volumes have cracked 200,000 each. Very impressive for a newer series.

Glad to see MHA doing so well. It's sales have gone up since the anime started again so I think it will be higher by the end of the year.

VLordGTZ

It looks like Sh?dan! will be a soccer manga while Cross Account seems to be a rom-com series.

It's interesting seeing another soccer manga in Jump so soon after Ole Golazo.  Maybe Jump has faith that Yokota's take on the sport will be more successful.  If Cross Account is really another rom-com, I'm not sure how long it's going to last.  Yuna and We Never Learn are already filling the romance niche in the magazine, so I wonder if there is room for a third one.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 01, 2017, 12:33:14 PM
Top selling manga series of the first half of 2017 in Japan:

1. One Piece (5,969,851)
2. Attack on Titan (3,974,437)
3. Kingdom (3,244,618)
4. Haikyu!! (3,086,097)
5. Tokyo Ghoul:re (2,154,752)
6. My Hero Academia (2,097,088)
7. One-Punch Man (1,982,356)
8. The Seven Deadly Sins (1,881,062)
9. Detective Conan (1,653,403)
10. Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (1,469,092)

I'm happy to see Conan break into the top 10 in sales.  Hopefully, it will keep it up in the second half of the year.  Black Clover also showed up at #28, which I'm expecting to get a significant boost with its anime on the way.  Overall, sales are looking pretty good.

LumRanmaYasha

I really enjoyed Straighten Up!, and Jump could always use more sports manga, so I'm hoping Shudan does well. Cross Account's description is intriguing, so I'm curious about that one as well. Doubt either will be added to the english Jump since the lineup's filled up again, though.

I'm glad to see World Trigger is doing well even though it's been on hiatus. Good sign that the series is safe even if Ashihara's hiatus will have to continue for most of the year.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #28 (June 8th, 2017):
Shudan! (Cover, Lead CP, New Series by Takuma Yokota)
1. Gintama
2. One Piece
The Promised Neverland (CP)
3. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
4. Haikyu!!
5. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
Yuna of Yuragi Manor (CP)
6. Hinomaru Zumou
7. Black Clover
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9. Dr. Stone
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
10. We Never Learn
Nante Kotta! Pharaoh-kun (Special Chapter)
11. Spring Weapon No. 1
12. Hungry Marie
13. Demon Prince Poro's Diaries
14. U19 (END)

Horikoshi took a week break at the last minute, it looks like. Hope he's okay. A lot of surprises here otherwise. I'm guessing something big is happening in Gintama right now for it to be put near the front. All of the newer series are near the bottom including RxL's color page, and U19 ended, which leads me to believe only WNL and Dr. Stone will be sticking around for a while. Next week KnY and Gintama are both getting color pages the latter of which is for the final popularity poll.

I'm hoping Horikoshi doesn't have anything serious like Ashihara. He skipped a week a few months back, so I hope this isn't a continuation of whatever that was.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #29 (June 15th, 2017):
Cross Account (Cover, Lead CP, New Series by Tsunehiro Date)
1. Black Clover
2. One Piece
Gintama (CP)
3. Haikyu!!
4. My Hero Academia
Shudan! (CP)
5. The Promised Neverland
6. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction (CP)
7. Dr. Stone
8. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9. Hinomaru Zumou
10. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
11. We Never Learn
12. Spring Weapon No. 1
13. Robot x Laserbeam
14. Hungry Marie
15. Demon Prince Poro's Diaries (END)

Not a whole lot surprising this week. The new series as a whole aren't doing too hot. Next week MHA gets the cover, and both Cross Account and HxH get color pages. That's right, Togashi is doing a color page! Should be interesting to see where the series rank without those two to bounce off of, but I'm guessing Hungry Marie is not going to be one of the survivors. Oh well, as long as my favorites survive.

Spark Of Spirit

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #30 (June 22nd, 2017):
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP)
1. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Blade of Demon Destruction
Hunter x Hunter (CP)
Shudan! (Not Ranked)
3. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma
Cross Account (CP)
4. Dr. Stone
5. Haikyu!!
Misteria -Kaiki Collection- (CP, One Shot)
6. Black Clover
7. Spring Weapon No. 1
8. Yuna of Yuragi Manor
9. Gintama
10. Hinomaru Zumou
11. We Never Learn
12. The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
13. Robot x Laserbeam
14. Hungry Marie

Congrats on KnY for its first ever #1 ranking and for MHA for another cover. With this it's safe to say that it, Promised Neverland, and Dr. Stone will be sticking around for a bit. However, it does not look good for Hungry Marie or Robot x Laserbeam. It's so weird to see two series by established vets so far down in the rankings, but it might be that they just haven't found their audience. It looks like the six new series strategy wasn't such a hit idea after all. Next week Yuna gets the cover for the first time since its debut, and Food Wars, Promised Neverland, and Dr. Stone get color pages.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually feel kind of bad for Tadatoshi. I'm personally really enjoying RXL. Perhaps Japanese readers are starting to get burned out on the sports genre, though?

Well, at least Dr. Stone is fairing decently so far. It'll probably stick around for a while.

I'm really happy for KnY. Obviously I haven't read the latest chapter since it's yet to be translated, but I imagine it will be quite a somber and touching one given where we left off last week.

LumRanmaYasha

Hoping RxL can turn it around. It's been really good so far and has a lot of potential. I hope sports manga aren't losing favor in Jump because I really want Shudan! to stick around.

I don't think Jump expected all or even most of the six new series to be successful. It was more a promotional thing to get people excited and speculative about Jump again, and about getting a bunch of new blood in and see what'll stick. I think that Dr. Stone being a resounding success means that it panned out pretty well.