Started by LumRanmaYasha, August 12, 2017, 06:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 21

"Time Machine" (The Brak Show)

VS.

"Gangland" (The Spectacular Spider-Man)

VS.

"Baffler Meal" (Space Ghost: Coast to Coast)

VS.

"Once Upon an Ed" (Ed, Edd n' Eddy)

Avaitor

Once Upon an Ed
Gangland
Time Machine
Baffler Meal

All quite good, but that EEnE ep is still possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

This was pretty tough, but I'll go with:

Baffler Meal
Time Machine
Once Upon an Ed
Gangland

Spoiler

Baffler Meal - I just love the entire concept of this episode as a take-down of both product placement and backdoor pilots. It's even funnier that they only made this episode after ATHF was already made into a show, but still retained the original character designs and different voices for Shake and Frylock. 

Time Machine - This is my favorite episode of The Brak Show for having a lot of quotable lines and musical moments, and a really simple story that spins out of control in the best way, leading to some great visual gags.

Once Upon an Ed - I love how the way the Eds tell their stories reflects their personalities/worldview in really funny ways. The series' comedy is incredibly sharp in terms of both written and visual gags and I'm always impressed whenever I come back to it.

Gangland - I found the motif of setting the fight against the opera is great in concept but I'm not sure I was terribly invested in it in execution. I still think it's pretty great, especially as the culmination of the gang wars between Silvermane, Doc Ock, and Tombstone, but I do think the fight kind of drags in parts and there's a lot of misdirects that feel kinda unnecessary, like Doc Ock trying to kill Spider-Man right before the act break only for Tombstone to intervene immediately when we resume. I also found the subplot of Peter being a bad boyfriend kind of annoying. Not that it wasn't well written, but it's frustrating to watch him be so douchey to Liz and flirty with Gwen, making everyone uncomfortable without any self-awareness.
[close]

LumRanmaYasha

Will anyone else vote on this match? I would like at least one more person to vote before we move on to the next one.

Exelicon00

Gangland
Once Upon an Ed
Baffler Meal
Time Machine

Dreamer2

Once Upon an Ed
Gangland
Baffler Meal
Time Machine

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks guys!

Results:

"Time Machine" (The Brak Show) - 8
"Gangland" (The Spectacular Spider-Man) - 11
"Baffler Meal" (Space Ghost: Coast to Coast) - 8
"Once Upon an Ed" (Ed, Edd n' Eddy) - 13

"Gangland" and "Once Upon an Ed" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 22

"Glued, Where's My Bob" (Bob's Burgers)

VS.

"Live and Let Dine" (Archer)

VS.

"Arnold's Christmas" (Hey Arnold!)

VS.

"Future Tense" (Gargoyles)

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dreamer2

Arnold's Christmas
Glued, Where's My Bob
Live and Let Dine
Future Tense

Exelicon00

Arnold's Christmas
Future Tense
Glued, Where's My Bob
Live and Let Dine

LumRanmaYasha

I'll go the same as Exelicon00.

Spoiler

Arnold's Christmas - An emotional and memorably mature story about sacrifice, selflessness, and giving that really tugs at the heartstrings and truly encapsulates the Christmas spirit.

Future Tense - This episode is one big 20-minute homage to 80s post-apocalyptic and sci-fi action tropes and cliches and it's an awesome thrill ride of madness from beginning to end. "Well yeah, but he died in the Clone Wars" is all you need to know to what kind of insanity you're in for.  :lol:

Glued, Where's My Bob - Really great encapsulation of Bob's Burgers, point out the kind of absurd situations that befall the Belcher family but also the heart that keeps them together, with tons of fun jokes and a memorable musical number to boot.

Live and Let Dine - A pretty good parody of cooking shows staring cruel, narcissistic hosts, which is a very appropriate setting to place the likes of Sterling Archer in. I wouldn't say this is one of the show's best or funniest episodes, but it's still a really fun one that makes good use of the characters for fun gags and great character-based humor.
[close]

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

"Glued, Where's My Bob" (Bob's Burgers) - 8
"Live and Let Dine" (Archer) - 6
"Arnold's Christmas" (Hey Arnold!) - 15
"Future Tense" (Gargoyles) - 11

"Arnold's Christmas" and "Future Tense" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 23

"Little Ed Blue" (Ed, Edd n' Eddy)

VS.

"The Red Ball" (The Boondocks)

VS.

"China, IL The Musical" (China, IL)

VS.

"Bye, Bye Greasy" (Home Movies)

Dreamer2

Little Ed Blue
The Red Ball