Animation Revelation Shoutbox

Started by Neomysterion X. Prime, December 28, 2010, 04:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Hell, I never had enough interest to watch past Alabasta, but I certainly enjoyed what I saw there than the horrible writing I'm seeing with SAO. What is it people like about this? The art style? Because it is pretty, I'll give it that. But that's all I see going for it. I have seen soooo many people on the internet and my own friends immediately reject OP simply because of how it looked.  :lol:

LumRanmaYasha

The funny thing is, one of the things that attracted me to One Piece was it's art-style, which was very akin to Dragonball to me. I find it kinda ironic even fans of DBZ can bash on One Piece's art-style when they aren't that much different, visually. As for Sword Art, it's the kind of story fangirls, so-called "intellectuals," and super casual anime fans tend to enjoy. In my book, even the worst, most badly-paced, filler-heavy arc of One Piece (there's really only one bad arc in my book, and that's Fishman Island), is leagues better than Sword Art any day.

Foggle

Sword Art Online panders heavily to otaku but is also flashy and fantastical enough for kids or folks who have just gotten into anime (especially gamers) to enjoy it. So I'd say it actually appeals to a lot of people, though not for particularly good reasons.

Quote from: Cartoon X on August 11, 2013, 01:28:56 AM
As for Sword Art, it's the kind of story fangirls, so-called "intellectuals," and super casual anime fans tend to enjoy.
I'd be surprised if many women liked SAO, actually. At its core, it's a lazy gary stu harem show that often goes out of its way to demean its female characters. As for faux-intellectuals, I don't think they'd give Sword Art the time of day; it's far too mainstream and colorful.

Oh, and personally, while I'm no One Piece fan, I think its art design is awesome. I just love that unique, cartoony style.

GaryPotter

Anime attracts a lot of stupid people. It's a feature more than a bug. The fact is that whenever you go somewhere on the Internet anime-based you can be sure most of them have the combined IQ of a cup of Marlon Brando's semen.

Daxdiv

I will say that I also find One Piece's art style to be pretty bitchin. Gotta give Oda some props for giving everyone a unique character design. I can really see different influences in his characters.

Though when it comes to recommending people to One Piece, I always tell them to READ THE FUCKING MANGA. You could say it's due to length, especially since both the anime and manga are going strong, but I will say that Toei drags the anime out for way too long. It kind of started near Enies Lobby arc where their padding got really bad. I don't regret my choice of reading the manga over watching the anime in the slighest.

As for Fishman Island, the only thing I did like about that arc was showing how Arlong became the man he was. If only because outside of Buggy, Arlong was my favorite villain from East Blue. I still find it interesting how they contrasted Arlong's and Hody's hatred for Humans. Arlong's came from experience first hand , while Hody's always felt like that little brother who copied his older one to be cool. I will say that the criticism that this was one arc showing off how strong the Straw Hat's have gotten, but re-reading the chapters right now, you do got to admit that Hody's plan was stupid and that he was a pretty stupid villain. For the love of God, he thought his crew could defeat some of the strongest marines, not even Arlong was able to do that.

Dr. Insomniac

While I don't read the manga, I do appreciate the art. The characters are like snowflakes in that no one looks alike in the least. And given how many characters have been introduced, it's rather stunning.

Also.

Peanutbutter

Martianinvader just called Game of Thrones, "4Chan, The Show".   :whuh:

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

Really though, we closed Fan-Attack for a reason- the tz discussion has got to stop. Discussing past events with people we used to and/or still talk to is one thing, but I want this to be a safe environment for everyone on here. And I know that this discussion is making people uncomfortable.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GaryPotter

I still think that was a mistake. Only one who seems to have a problem is Foggle, who just hates it for whatever reason. Hardly anyone even goes to Spam Board.

You're right though, I deleted my post.

Let's just forget about this.

Foggle

Quote from: GaryPotter on August 11, 2013, 09:58:55 PM
I still think that was a mistake. Only one who seems to have a problem is Foggle, who just hates it for whatever reason.
I actually did not close the thread until other people complained to me about it over PM and Twitter.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 11, 2013, 09:27:45 AM
Martianinvader just called Game of Thrones, "4Chan, The Show".   :whuh:

The funniest part is that only /tv/ really likes GoT. Every other board seems to shitpost it because it attracts so many casuals and Tumblr users.

talonmalon333

So what exactly is this thread for?

Foggle

TheEclecticDude

http://www.funimation.com/adam-s/blog/big-summer-contests-kicking-off-this-week/7805516

Scroll down to the contest for this week and tell me you wouldn't enter just to get that. (Personally, I might as I won't spend money on that shlock)

:sly: