Is it time for Adult Swim to change?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 19, 2011, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I want to finish watching The Simpsons on DVD before that happens.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

It's astounding how much [adult swim] has dropped in quality over the years. When they first came around it was bold, fresh, and offered some great adult oriented cartoons. Home Movies is still probably my favorite but there was also Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, Space Ghost Coast-to-Coast, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, etc. And they introduced me to some great anime like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I also loved Shin Chan.

But these days, aside from catching King of the Hill reruns, I have a little reason to watch [adult swim]. I loathe Squidbillies. I can't stand Assy McGee (seriously, who comes up with this shit?). Metalocalypse isn't a terrible show but it's no Home Movies, that's for damn sure. Robot Chicken makes me laugh sometimes but overall I don't care much for it. I haven't watched anime on [adult swim] in years aside from Shin Chan (to be fair, I haven't really watched ANY anime in years). [adult swim] needs to take a good, long, hard look at itself and try to be something other than a block for stoners.

However, I will say that I love Superjail! and Tim & Eric.

Avaitor

Personally, I dig the recent addition of Durarara! to the schedule, and can't wait for the new season of Boondocks to air. Those give the block a little glimmer of hope to me.

But that said, the block is still mostly worthless. Since KOTH's on Netflix, I just watch it there, and never use the channel for anything but DRRR and Boondocks repeats now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

Haven't watched it regularly in years so whatever rubbish shape its in is of no importance to me.

Spark Of Spirit

It's almost like a parody of what (good era) SNL would do of Adult Swim back when it started.

They should just call it what it is: "Stoned Teens With Insomnia Swim"...
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Brotherhood and King Of The Hill for me. Can't wait to watch a new episode on my birthday, which is tomorrow, which means you guys need to make a thread about that
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

I suppose now is as good a time as any to bump this thread.

Adult Swim lost King of the Hill to Comedy Central very recently, and now they're also losing The Cleveland Show to the same network.

Are we seeing the collapse of Fox's reign on Adult Swim? Disney is on the fast track to buying Fox, anime returned to the weekday schedule after a decade, and everything's feeling topsy-turvy. I suspect a major shakeup may occur soon.

Daxdiv

Could be. Once they lose Family Guy, I feel like they might have to fall back on some of the original programming. American Dad might be safe for the time being, considering how premieres air on TBS and Adult Swim usually airs them later. Now, I gotta figure out what shows they'll try to air to fill in that time since most of them do deserve their later appearance on the block or if they'll give CN the 8 PM hour back.

Daxdiv

I'm surprised they decided to give Super an hour instead of airing Kai or going for Naruto Shippuden. Though I do find that them airing Robot Chicken, Harvey Birdman & ATHF at around 8 PM on the weekends to be a bit of a bold move.

Daikun

Bob's Burgers might be leaving in a few weeks.

What. Is. Happening?

EDIT: False alarm.

Dr. Insomniac

Disney probably doesn't want Cartoon Network airing their newly bought properties.

Daikun

They're not losing Bob's Burgers. Never mind.

Daikun

So, after taking a break for a few months, Adult Swim is getting 8PM back from Cartoon Network (as usual).

Rather than fill the top spot with more Fox reruns, though, they're filling it with Samurai Jack.

After that experiment with DB Super, I'm glad they're not falling back on old habits. I hope they keep experimenting with this hour.

EDIT: Also, DB Super and DBZ Kai will fill up 8PM on Saturdays. Um... Okay, then why move Toonami down? :thinkin:

Daikun

Just days after Disney absorbs Fox, Family Guy is moving to Freeform.
They're not old reruns, either--it's seasons 16+, which Adult Swim hasn't aired. (They've been stuck at season 15 since Disney's buyout talks started.)

AS is fucked now.