Is it time for Adult Swim to change?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, March 19, 2011, 11:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

[as] losing the FOX shows is inevitable, which is why I think they've been experimenting with the lineup more recently and testing out how their originals play in timeslots normally occupied by the FOX programs. [as] has so many IPs and shows in its catalog that losing the FOX shows won't hurt them as hard as we might think, but they will probably shrink hours unless they can more programming they can play endlessly without losing viewership like Robot Chicken and Rick & Morty. I'm curious if they might try adding some of their long-running anime to the weekday lineup in the future like when they started off with Dragon Ball Super last summer. At the very least I could see DBS and DBZ Kai playing well on weekdays since they have a proven history of doing well in reruns.

Avaitor

I still say that they should move Shippuden to weekdays. That and Kai could easily hold their own daily.

Another possibility is to either give CN a couple of hours back, or maybe make the first few hours a Splat-like nostalgia block. There does seem to be a demand for their older shows the same way there is for Nick's, but CN keeps sleeping on them in comparison. Now's as a good of a time as ever to fix that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

It's over.

Adult Swim will be losing all their Fox shows (except maybe American Dad) in Fall 2021.
EDIT: They keep Bob's Burgers until 2023.

Daikun

After those shows leave, AS likely won't pick up any future Fox shows.

Well, this is it. In a few years, they'll have to really reinvent themselves to justify being on 10 hours a night.

Avaitor

New blog!

Daxdiv

Guess FXX will be the new home for Fox's animated line-up when they get to syndication part, since I know that both Bless the Harts & Duncanville at least were able to get a 2nd season greenlit. Gonna be interesting to see what Adult Swim can/will air as a lead in show from regular CN to AS, along with what else will air before the midnight hours.

Avaitor

They're gonna need more hits like Rick and Morty to justify the block's place. And even that doesn't have the pull in repeats that Family Guy or even Bob's Burgers does.

To be fair, [as] is still technically more successful than CN proper, but that's primarily off of the strength of the Fox shows and Rick and Morty premieres. Their other originals don't have nearly the same clout.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, hedging your bets on reruns of shows you don't own will always be a double-edged sword. It's why Nickelodeon but not Nick@Nite went for more of their own homegrown shows, and any show they aired that wasn't theirs is shafted in schedules.

Peanutbutter

New era for AS on the way. Be nice if they would put Toonami on weeknights like how they used to have Inuyasha, Trigun and whatknot like in the Aughties, but I doubt that's happening any time soon.

Daxdiv

I mean, as much as a double edge sword that is licensed programming is, I'm kinda surprised that they haven't tried to rerun Dragon Ball series to the ground with both Kai & Super being viable options. The fact that they're pretty good transition show from CN to AS, along with having a good amount of episodes to fill that up doesn't hurt. I know they experimented with MHA at 5:30 AM on weekdays, which is a little weird, but since it is the new hotness from SJ, I can see why they gave it a shot.

Daikun

Adult Swim is permanently losing 8PM...but on Sundays only, and it's starting this week.

Over the next week, CN will be airing Star Wars movies, then after that, a new block called ACME Night will run from 6-9PM.

https://deadline.com/2021/09/warnermedia-kids-family-acme-night-block-for-families-cartoon-network-1234825320

ACME Night will include movies and new original programming, including a few HBO Max originals.

Peanutbutter

Hmm, that's interesting. Assuming they mean old CN stuff, that will bring in much needed variety.

LumRanmaYasha

[adult swim] always loses 8pm in the Fall around October anyways, and this isn't the first time they've let CN seep into their timeslot when their evening movies run long. But I'll be curious if they'll just lose 8pm permanently across all days once Family Guy leaves the network at the end of the month. Not that they don't have the programming to fill the two hours it takes up each day, but few other shows on the network pull in ratings on its level.

Avaitor

I think this is a good idea on paper, but if they're just using the time to air movies for now, I'm not very impressed. It'll be cool when they air some of these new series and specials.

New blog!