Favorite Anime

Started by Avaitor, December 27, 2010, 04:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Bones has always been pretty impressive. Even if their lesser works haven't been anything to write home about they usually do have a myriad of good points to them. They also did BBB which was an awesome adaption and are doing MHA which should also be good. I know they're one of my friend's favorite anime studio, and I guess I'd consider them up there as well.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Bones is certainly one of my favorites. I think I'd choose Madhouse, if I had to pick.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Madhouse would probably be my favorite as well.  David Productions would probably be a close second for me mainly because of my love for JoJo.   :sweat:

Bones has been doing great lately.  Blood Blockade Battlefront and Noragami were pretty solid, and I've heard good things about Snow White with the Red Hair.  I'm looking forward to seeing their adaptions of My Hero Academia and Mob Psycho 100 next year.

Lord Il

Quote from: Foggle on December 03, 2015, 03:05:38 PM
KyoAni is an excellent studio more in how they treat their staff and projects by comparison to other companies. I'm not a fan of most of their work but the environment they foster is one of the only remotely healthy ones in the industry. Plus, the technical quality of their output is generally fantastic. But yeah, I only like about 10% of their shows.
I feel pretty much the same. What does tend to draw me into their works is the high level of artistic skill put into their visuals. They truly go to great lengths to ensure that the environments which the characters occupy and interact in look beautiful, accurate and detailed. Lots of respect to KyoAni for going the extra mile in this regard. Just my opinion, but I wish they'd animate more series containing a little more substance and depth.

Glad to see others mentioning Madhouse. They've made so many noteworthy, memorable works throughout the years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Reading about how horrendous the pay, hours, and working conditions were for the animators of old-school anime almost makes me feel guilty for enjoying a lot of my favorites, knowing that they were essentially the result of hard work from numerous individuals who were basically treated like slaves in how they could barely make ends meet despite working with almost no sleep, and would never really be the ones to get credit for a show's success, despite being the main work-force behind it.

This is especially true of iconic series like Lupin III and Dragon Ball, among others. Even today, companies like Toei and various others aren't much better and still overwork and underpay most of their animation staff outside of well-established senior animation directors.

Then again, lots of great art is the result of pure passion fueling the people behind it, regardless of how much they have to suffer to get it made. This is why I have a lot more respect for anyone who's a mangaka, even if I hate the series itself. Reading about how people like Akira Toriyama or Eichiro Oda barely ever got any sleep (literally only a few minutes at a time, with a whole night of good sleep being a foreign concept to them in their line of work) in order to meet strict deadlines really blew my mind given the usual high standard of quality that they both managed to put out. And that's hardly a unique story. Just about every mangaka who ever had a long-running series had to go through the same thing.

That's why it's at least somewhat fitting that a lot of newer anime adaptations are choosing to split series up into actual seasons with breaks in-between. It doesn't solve all of these problems, but at least it takes away some of the tension of a constant weekly schedule year-round.

Spark Of Spirit

Yes, I also like the fact they do proper seasons now. It allows more time for production breaks and some semblance of rest instead of constantly being in an overworked state for over 200 weeks. Of course they're still doing tough work for not a lot of pay, but it looks like it's a lot more manageable now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

That sounds very horrible.

As for my favorite studios, Based David is up there but I've only watched one of their series. Well, 3 if you count each part of JoJo so far (and even more, if you are counting seasons) so Madhouse wins. I love The Boondocks, Hunter X Hunter 2011, Vampire Hunter Bloodlust, Hellsing: Ultimate, One Punch Man and probably more.

LumRanmaYasha

I don't think there's any studio that has produced only works I like and none I didn't. But, if I were to choose a favorite, it would definitely be Madhouse. They've made so many great shows, and a good chunk of my favorites. Bones would be a close second, and Mappa is climbing up for me as well.

Spark Of Spirit

Slam Dunk's dub is now on Crunchyroll. They also added Deltora Quest, too.

I'm glad their catalog is expanding so fast. Could really do with Hajime no Ippo, Kimagure Orange Road, Monster, Ashita no Joe 1, and City Hunter, though.

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on October 23, 2015, 02:54:01 PM
10. Fate/Zero
9. DBZ Kai
8. Hellsing Ultimate
7. Fist Of The Nortstar
6. Ushio & Tora
5. One Piece
4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2011
3. Hunter X Hunter 2011
2. Hunter X Hunter 1999
1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

This is based off of what I've recently...ish seen and off of the top of my head.
11. Fate/Zero
10. DBZ Kai
9. Hellsing Ultimate
8. One Piece
7. Fist Of The Northstar
6. One Punch Man
5. Ushio & Tora
4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2011
3. Hunter X Hunter 2011
2. Hunter X Hunter 1999
1. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on December 08, 2015, 12:10:05 PM
Slam Dunk's dub is now on Crunchyroll. They also added Deltora Quest, too.

I'm glad their catalog is expanding so fast. Could really do with Hajime no Ippo, Kimagure Orange Road, Monster, Ashita no Joe 1, and City Hunter, though.
They also added the second half of Lupin III Part II.   

Also, nice list GSF!  I'm happy to see that One Punch Man is in your top 10.   :)

gunswordfist

OMG, LUPIN'S ON CRUCHYROLL?!  :SHOCK:

And yes, One Punch Man is my kind of show. :) I'm actually watching someone watch it on twitch right now :D

VLordGTZ

Yeah, they have all the eps of Green, Red, and Pink Jacket.  Hopefully, they'll pick up the streaming rights to Blue Jacket pretty soon.

gunswordfist

OMG. They had only one Lupin last week. I should probably catch up before Blue arrives.

Avaitor

Do they have any movies?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/