Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Commode

Motley Crue is probably my favorite hair metal band, if you can even say that I have a favorite(I really dislike most of that stuff).  I love the first two albums and Dr. Feelgood, but I don't like Girls, Girls, Girls or that other album they did in the middle of the decade, and I don't like much of what came after Dr. Feelgood(although Saints of Los Angeles wasn't too bad).

Or Skid Row.  But they were at the tail end of the trend, so I kind of don't lump them in with the rest of the others.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Commode

Ratt has like two songs that ever get airplay.  I don't think most people really care about them either way.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually think Talk Dirty To Me is a great song, but I know Poison isn't too well liked around here.  :sweat:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Commode

That song and "Fallen Angel" are the two Poison songs that I consider passable.  I like C.C. Deville's guitar on the two songs.

Avaitor

"Fallen Angel" is a classic. And yeah, I like the Skid Row albums with Sebastian Bach too, although the latter 2 aren't really hair metal.

But Extreme. If all you know is "More Than Words" and "Hole Hearted", I am so sorry.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

The reason I like TDTM a lot is because it isn't actually a hair metal song despite the video or whatever... it's not really glam either. It's just a basic rock n roll song that's really well written that's disguised as being glam.

Sort of like how I like "Working For A Living" more than Huey Lewis' other songs, basic rock n roll is my one weakness.  .3.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 26, 2012, 09:07:27 PM
I actually think Talk Dirty To Me is a great song, but I know Poison isn't too well liked around here.  :sweat:
That Handsome Devil's cover beats it into the ground though. :P

Quote from: Avaitor on September 26, 2012, 09:42:09 PM
But Extreme. If all you know is "More Than Words" and "Hole Hearted", I am so sorry.
Fuck yeah, Extreme is awesome.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 26, 2012, 09:07:27 PM

That's probably the only Poison song I consider decent.

As far as hair/glam metal goes, they're definitely lower-tier... and for that genre, that says something.

Quote from: Comeau on September 26, 2012, 08:59:05 PM
Ratt has like two songs that ever get airplay.  I don't think most people really care about them either way.

"Round and Round" is honestly the only one that I ever hear anymore. I mean, I don't know if I'd go as far as to call them a one-hit wonder per say, but their lasting appeal doesn't seem to be much beyond that.

Avaitor

"Lay It Down" got some decent play too. But yeah, they faded out fast, didn't they? Ratt was more on the heavier side of hair metal, along with Crue, W.A.S.P. (if you wanna count them there, and only their earlier stuff- they've become a straight heavy metal band for a longgg time since) and the originators, Hanoi Rocks.

When Poison and Cinderella and Warrant and whoever hit the scene, the metal scene kinda hit two sides- overly glammed, or heavier. Since Ratt couldn't shake it up with the thrash or death acts, or even Maiden and Priest, they rightly dropped off the scene along with Quiet Riot. Crue stuck around because Nikki supplied all the bands with drugs.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Commode

Coheed and Cambria is an awful band.  I don't know popular/unpopular this opinion is, but after seeing people on GAF talk them up I had to reiterate the fact that they aren't in fact any good.

Avaitor

To be honest, if it weren't for one hardcore fan of them on the Rock Band boards, I wouldn't even have known that they were still around.

And I still maintain that the lad singer sounds like Geddy Lee if he had a bulldozer shoved up his ass while on stage.

New blog!

Nel_Annette

Except for the part where they're fucking awesome. One of my favorites.  :blush:

But opinions lol

Avaitor

So I don't really get the big deal behind Lana Del Ray and Marina & the Diamond. They both seem like replacements for Lady Gaga as music for hipsters that are too ashamed to admit that they like pop. The weirder thing is that both of them, especially Del Ray, seemingly came out of nowhere and they're already getting worshipped.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I'm 100% certain that Avaitor will agree with me on this but since most people have not heard this album before, it is unpopular.

The Replacements' Let It Be >>>>>>> The Beatles' Let It Be

Paul Westerberg is smarter than Lennon, more emotional than McCartney, and deeper than Harrison when it comes to lyrics. But musically, the variety is unmatched to give the album a punch and a thread that the fab four's effort couldn't come close to matching. To put that in perspective, Lennon never wrote a song as introspective as Answering Machine, McCartney never as poignant as Unsatisfied, and Harrison as concise as Sixteen Blue. They also never wrote a song as funny as Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out, or Gary's Got A Boner, but then they rarely succeeded with comedy. Most people dismiss the album on the first listen, but on further listening I don't think there is a better album to represent growing up and the struggle between transforming from teenager to adult anywhere near as well as that does.

It also gets a lot of points for not relying on sex or co-dependency for subjects to write about.